Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Okay, I get it. You and people like you would have been the only "guilt-free" people existing back in that time.

The problem is, the religious fundamentalists are making the exact same claim. Since those crimes obviously go against their religious teachings.
I and people like me would have pretended to be religious in order not to be ostracized, punished, or even killed by, say, burning alive.

As for the fundies’ actions being inconsistent with their words, that’s standard operating procedure for them and, in the end, a vast majority of all religious adherents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I and people like me would have pretended to be religious in order not to be ostracized, punished, or even killed by, say, burning alive.

As for the fundies’ actions being inconsistent with their words, that’s standard operating procedure for them and, in the end, a vast majority of all religious adherents.
I'm sorry. If you are trying to say that atheists are the only good people in the world, you would sound like a raving lunatic. You know that atheists are a minority.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:57 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I never said you claimed it was proof, rather I pointed out the fact that archeologists and anthropologists have a very bad habit of classifying any artifact they don't understand as a religious item.
What? In answer to my post you said...'That's not proof of religion'. Well I never said that it was! Anyway. Let's not become like Christians and start arguing amongst ourselves about whose right.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,355 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. If you are trying to say that atheists are the only good people in the world, you would sound like a raving lunatic. You know that atheists are a minority.
I wasn't "trying" to say anything. You know full well what I said, and your only response is to utterly misstate it.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:46 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I wasn't "trying" to say anything. You know full well what I said, and your only response is to utterly misstate it.
Even if you were saying that "religious adherents" were a small group, then there is still no correlation between those people (who I am not a member of) and those responsible for all the atrocities in the world. Atheists and moderates have done their fair share.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Even if you were saying that "religious adherents" were a small group, then there is still no correlation between those people (who I am not a member of) and those responsible for all the atrocities in the world. Atheists and moderates have done their fair share.
So basically you are inferring that religion has no bearing on humans committing atrocities. If the selling point of religion is that it is no worse than no religion what is the value for it then?

Old 06-24-2018, 02:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:

Atheists have never murdered people in the name of Atheism.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:51 PM

12,193 posts, read 2,961,959 times
Quote:
The creative force in the universe doesn't make sense from an atheistic perspective. Nature seems to decay, which is just the opposite. That creativity has to come from somewhere.

Even children understand that.
There is also a great deal of growth and life in nature with millions of animals born each day and plants growing in abundance. Funny your subtle put down regarding children, since adults believing in the fiction of religion looks so childlike to those of us who can understand and accept the world objectively.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Religion is an organic part of nature. Why would you expect people to act any differently?
Oh brother. Now you're arguing that because we've always had religion (and how do you know that????), we'll always have it?

You live in a cave and wear leopardskins, I guess.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
All "gods" are a reflections of the One God. All cultures have worshipped the same One throughout history, because even the polytheistic deities are aspects of the One.

This is actually an idea that I first heard from a SECULAR history teacher when I was in middle or high school. It's an idea that has stayed with me for decades because it makes sense to me.
And naturally that ONE god bears a familial resemblance to your favorite god.

Nope.

I like this guy's take - https://www.amazon.com/God-Not-One-E.../dp/0061571288

In brief - he says that the different versions of god arise from different diagnoses of the human condition, and what their god worries about is a result of the diagnosis.

"From the Back Cover
In the twenty-first century, religion remains the single greatest influence in the world. But, argues religion scholar Stephen Prothero, persistent attempts to portray all religions as different paths to the same God overlook the distinct human problem that each seeks to solve. For example:

Islam: the problem is pride / the solution is submission

Christianity: the problem is sin / the solution is salvation

Buddhism: the problem is suffering / the solution is awakening

Judaism: the problem is exile / the solution is to return to God

God Is Not One is an indispensable guide to the questions human beings have asked for millennia—and to the disparate paths we are taking to answer them today."

Last edited by jacqueg; 06-24-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism