Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 07:01 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
My apologies. I don't remember now why I would have even said that. But I've been pretty defensive here. I don't know why all the attack is coming towards me if I'm really the ignoramus people seem to think I am.

I respect atheism very much and I have for many years. But please understand that I also respect some religious fundamentalists. I find myself in the middle as a kind of mediator, but I'm learning that this is probably not my ideal role.
No. At least in this forum you have not been any kind of mediator.

I think you're overstating that you've been "attacked", but if we accept that word here, then you've also been on the attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 04:11 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. At least in this forum you have not been any kind of mediator.

I think you're overstating that you've been "attacked", but if we accept that word here, then you've also been on the attack.
In the real world I get along fine with atheists. But I think that a lot of people really don't understand them. Still, I side with atheists most of the time. But what you see as an "attack" is my feeble attempt at trying to show how most people see atheism.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:34 AM

12,205 posts, read 2,963,596 times
Quote:
This is like the Twilight Zone to me.
If you're not enjoying yourself, why are you still here? You must be getting your jollies then.

Quote:
There have been a lot of provocative posts addressed to me. Provocative by their absurd nonsensical content. How am I supposed to respond to that kind of nonsense?
Walk away. It's just an internet forum.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:18 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
In the real world I get along fine with atheists. But I think that a lot of people really don't understand them. Still, I side with atheists most of the time. But what you see as an "attack" is my feeble attempt at trying to show how most people see atheism.
1. "In the real world"??? First, this forum is in the real world. The only thing different about "here" and "everyday life" is that here is anonymous.

2. If you side with atheists most of the time, why isn't that showing up in your posts? In a continuum with most religious on the right side, most atheistic on the left side, and neutrality in the middle, I'd have to put you half way between neutral and most religious.

3. If that's what you're trying to do (what I bolded), then you are totally failing and need to start labeling your posts as such.

You may be a very nice person face to face, but the way you're trying to portray your positions in this post are as far from what your posts almost always say that I wonder if you're living in the real world.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Well, after 17 pages and 500 plus responses, at least we all now know how to defeat an atheist in two minutes.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:21 AM

It's funny how people got so worried about moving the conversation to the main Religion forum where it belonged, where a more serious thread with this title would have been appropriate. The more spiritually minded but non-fundamentalist people tend to win most of the arguments, and that would not have been as fun for the atheists. Several people even accused me of wanting to do that. So it's like they wanted to keep the advantage of their numbers on this sub-forum.

But I just didn't think this was the appropriate sub-forum for where the conversation was going. The thread title always directs the conversation.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:03 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
It's funny how people got so worried about moving the conversation to the main Religion forum where it belonged, where a more serious thread with this title would have been appropriate. The more spiritually minded but non-fundamentalist people tend to win most of the arguments, and that would not have been as fun for the atheists. Several people even accused me of wanting to do that. So it's like they wanted to keep the advantage of their numbers on this sub-forum.

But I just didn't think this was the appropriate sub-forum for where the conversation was going. The thread title always directs the conversation.
Subtlety is not your strength, is it?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Subtlety is not your strength, is it?
No. I prefer not to play games. But I think many atheists share this quality about many things, which I respect also.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,009 times
I'm still waiting to hear 'how to defeat and atheist in two minutes.' As already mentioned, here we are, two months and 508 posts later - and still nothing.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:01 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,165 times
Quote:

I'm curious as to what arguments you think the more spiritually minded theists have won, and why. I've never seen a theist win a single argument , since it's all based on believing without evidence .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism