Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 08:33 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The irony here is that religions of all stripes essentially make it impossible to ever achieve that.

Because religions have bigotry, racism, misogyny, and pre-defined groups to hate already built into their dogmas.

I have said before -- and I will always say it -- that I find any negativity that stems from religion the saddest of all atrocities.

Because the terrorism, the divisions, the wars, the xenophobia, the hatreds -- all for what?

At least with politics, there is a "there" there to actually fight over.

But with religion, you're fighting over whose fictional, non-existent book character is better.

One may as well fight and die or blow up buildings over whether Huck Finn is better than Tom Sawyer.
I believe the fight is rarely actually over that. I think it's the vehicle by which those in power and seeking to gain more power get support and bodies for the battlefield to achieve their goals.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:32 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ironically, weird as you may think my views are, physics is part of the way I understand and explain my experiences of God, Cruithne.
I don't find them weird actually.
I just think that you understand physics, and you believe there is a god, and it's your way of melding the two and justifying it. It's no different really from someone who looks at a strawberry, or a child, or a mountain or a cloud and sees god in it all. In the same way, you understand physics = god.
I just see the god bit as an unnecessary add-on.

The bit I don't get is why you're always bringing 'Jesus' and 'agape love' into it. That's where for me, it all goes off at a tangent and all gets tied back to religion.

Surely someone who is bright - as you obviously are - would recognise that Christianity is just one of many religions, none any more legitimate than the next. If you had been raised in another part of the world or been born in pre-Christian times, you'd have never even heard of Jesus.

And this agape love stuff - I don't know. I believe that you believe it's a thing, but again for me, it's another unnecessary add-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Copyist error, eh? Any details on that>

And I looked up the eclipses of course and 4 BC was partial which is why 1 BC got a lot of mention. But somehow I missed a 5 BC total lunar eclipse which would do perfectly.

As to the Missing governorship. I think it has to ve Varus. Not an official 2nd term which not the done Thing, but since the events of Varus putting down the revolt in Judea while Archelaus was in Rome fits the missing governorship, it seems to me that Varus was acting as governor in an unofficial 2nd term. That's before (according to Josephus) Varus wrote to rome advising of the unrest, Augustus rubber stamped the Tetrarchies and bundled Archelaus off to Judea to work with Varus in putting down the various revolts, Simon, Athronges and others.

Happy to discuss this filling in of the missing term, if you have doubts, but I'm pretty sure that is the answer, and there is no case for fitting Quirinus in there and Herod was dead anyway. So it does the '2nd census' argument no good at all.

However, this is way off -topic as this is about God, not Jesus, and that means either the god of the Bible or some other sorta god, which is Miss H seems to be talking about: something not unlike Mystic's Cosmic Stardust - Dust -god who can speak to and guide us though our imperfect human perceptions, but which nevertheless are to be taken as unquestioningly correct in this matter.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Copyist error, eh? Any details on that>
It is to do with when Philip died.

The Antiquities of the Jews, 18.106
Flavius Josephus translated by William Whiston

106. About this time it was that Philip, Herod’s brother, departed this life, in the twentieth year of the reign of Tiberius, after he had been tetrarch of Trachonitis and Gaulanitis, and of the nation of the Bataneans also, thirty-seven years. He had showed himself a person of moderation and quietness in the conduct of his life and government;

Some later Latin manuscripts have in the twenty second year, which would mean his 37 year reign started in 2 BC, not 4.

Quote:
And I looked up the eclipses of course and 4 BC was partial which is why 1 BC got a lot of mention. But somehow I missed a 5 BC total lunar eclipse which would do perfectly.
Which is what they want.

Quote:
As to the Missing governorship. I think it has to ve Varus. Not an official 2nd term which not the done Thing, but since the events of Varus putting down the revolt in Judea while Archelaus was in Rome fits the missing governorship, it seems to me that Varus was acting as governor in an unofficial 2nd term. That's before (according to Josephus) Varus wrote to rome advising of the unrest, Augustus rubber stamped the Tetrarchies and bundled Archelaus off to Judea to work with Varus in putting down the various revolts, Simon, Athronges and others.

Happy to discuss this filling in of the missing term, if you have doubts, but I'm pretty sure that is the answer, and there is no case for fitting Quirinus in there and Herod was dead anyway. So it does the '2nd census' argument no good at all.
Varus would not need an unofficial term. The usual length of service was 3 years, but it could have been extended. Quirinius served for 6 years, for example. So Varus COULD have legally been governor until 1 BC. The problem is we have no evidence for this. And the coins he had minted for his term in Syria date only to 4 BC. Varus putting down the revolt in 4 BC also fits Varus being legate until that time.

And we still have the the candidate recorded the Lapis Tiburtinus. I do not know of any of the Legates we do know that fit. So the only time I can see for this unknown Legate is 4 - 1 BC.

But yes, we are hijacking a thread when there is:

The Nativity

Old 09-18-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is to do with when Philip died.

The Antiquities of the Jews, 18.106
Flavius Josephus translated by William Whiston

106. About this time it was that Philip, Herod’s brother, departed this life, in the twentieth year of the reign of Tiberius, after he had been tetrarch of Trachonitis and Gaulanitis, and of the nation of the Bataneans also, thirty-seven years. He had showed himself a person of moderation and quietness in the conduct of his life and government;

Some later Latin manuscripts have in the twenty second year, which would mean his 37 year reign started in 2 BC, not 4.

Which is what they want.

Varus would not need an unofficial term. The usual length of service was 3 years, but it could have been extended. Quirinius served for 6 years, for example. So Varus COULD have legally been governor until 1 BC. The problem is we have no evidence for this. And the coins he had minted for his term in Syria date only to 4 BC. Varus putting down the revolt in 4 BC also fits Varus being legate until that time.

And we still have the the candidate recorded the Lapis Tiburtinus. I do not know of any of the Legates we do know that fit. So the only time I can see for this unknown Legate is 4 - 1 BC.

But yes, we are hijacking a thread when there is:

The Nativity
Point taken but one last post on this before shifting to nativity thread.

7/6 – 4 BC Publius Quinctilius Varus
4 – 1 BC Unknown[1]
1 BC – 4 AD Gaius Julius Caesar Vipsanianus

As you say, 4- 1 is unknown Syrian governorship.

The Tetrarchy of Archelaus was from 4 BC - 6 AD, give or take debate about when Herod died.

Archelaus went to Rome fairly early on to be confirmed in the Rulership of Judea and we don't know who was Syrian governor at the time. But Josephus says that when revolts broke out when Archelaus was in Rome, Varus put the Judean revolt down. That looks to me like he was acting as governor, whether his time had been extended on not, or the matter of a new governor was put on the back burner until the mess was sorted out. It would make sense that any coinage circulating was that issued during Varus' official time as governor, so that he issued no coinage 4- 1 B C is not a serious problem. In any case there is no mention of Quirinus at the time and Herod was gone, so the matter of the governorship 4-1 BC is arguable, but a Quirinus census in the last days of Herod doesn't seem to work, and that is what the debate is about.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 PM

12,285 posts, read 2,969,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I have no respect for anyone that is morally inferior to me.
That is one of the most pompous and unkind things I've ever read on this forum. Religious people are often correctly criticized for similar attitudes toward atheists or people of other faiths. Most of what you list here about "benevolent beings" is not the personal responsibility of every individual, past or present. For instance, the fact that monarchies was an organizational system in the past with a few lingering examples today does not make anyone who lived or is living within a monarchy or supporting one due to their heritage a non-benevolent person.

Quote:
Those are all the actions of sadistic malevolent beings, who are not worthy of respect.
So pretty much all your ancestors who were a product of their time and place and a hapless part of some of what you listed are malevolent and not worthy of your respect. I hope for your sake as a human being you can understand how absurd the attitudes in your post are in painting so many with a broad brush!

Quote:
The only real difference between Yahweh and Hitler, is Yahweh probably doesn't have a sporty mustache.
You call that sporty? Your post is full of malevolent attitudes to your fellow human beings. Physician, heal thyself.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I believe the fight is rarely actually over that. I think it's the vehicle by which those in power and seeking to gain more power get support and bodies for the battlefield to achieve their goals.
You betcha. I'm with you on that. Those in power want to keep people fearful and under control.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:56 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
My beliefs are simple to define and quantify. When trying to figure the world out, I asked out loud:

"If there is a powerful god out there -at all- please, show me a sign".
....Nothing.

"Let me re-phrase. If there is any powerful being out there- at all- please show me a sign".
....I promptly got a tax bill.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
My beliefs are simple to define and quantify. When trying to figure the world out, I asked out loud:

"If there is a powerful god out there -at all- please, show me a sign".
....Nothing.

"Let me re-phrase. If there is any powerful being out there- at all- please show me a sign".
....I promptly got a tax bill.
That'll teach ya The two most inescapable of human fates - death and taxes.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:05 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Yep. Proof that the devil exists!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism