Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:07 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Why do people spout this nonsense?
Because it's canned nonsense which is recognized as traditional in our society which suffers a surfeit of self help bromides. It is the sort of thing which gets said in a situation where nothing you can say is going to be much help. What end would the truth serve? "Well, I've come here to remind you that you have lost your homes and life is going to be pretty miserable and uncertain for a time, and even after you get settled again, it will never be the same, that was your whole history which went up in flames. You may feel depressed and hopeless right now, well, who can blame you? Most people won't care, it's just one more calamity which happened to someone else."

I would liken it to being around someone who has just lost a relative or close friend. There is nothing clever or wise to say which is going to be any help, so we fall back on cliches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 06:07 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wait, we're missing what's important here. What Scotch are you having?
We must always pick out the essential point of a post.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Several years ago I was seeing a counselor while going through a rough patch. Near the end of one session, she suggested that everything happened for a reason, and I should consider the possible benefits, or positive options that were opening up for me.

I told her that I was an atheist, I did not believe in a guided reason for human experience. To her credit, she did acknowledge my point and said that many people felt encouraged by the thought that there was a spiritual guiding force.

That is one reason why people spout this nonsense. Because others want them too.
It's just that believing in something, not because it's valid or true but because it serves some extraneous purpose, shows an astonishing lack of integrity. Belief should be based on rational evidence.

Russell (from the essay "How to Read and Understand History"):

p. 79: In regard to mundane affairs, the capacity to assimilate what is unpleasant is a condition of success, and for this reason, if for no other, it is a mistake to wrap oneself around with comfortable fairytales.

p. 102: But the pursuit of truth, when it is profound and genuine, requires also a kind of humility which has some affinity to submission to the will of God. The universe is what it is, not what I choose that it should be. If it is indifferent to human desires, as it seems to be; if human life is a passing episode, hardly noticeable in the vastness of cosmic processes; if there is no superhuman purpose, and no hope of ultimate salvation, it is better to know and acknowledge this truth than to endeavor, in futile self-assertion, to order the universe to be what we find comfortable.

Towards facts, submission is the only rational attitude, but in the realm of ideals there is nothing to which to submit. The universe is neither hostile nor friendly; it neither favors our ideals nor refutes them. Our individual life is brief, and perhaps the whole life of mankind will be brief if measured in astronomical scale. But that is no reason for not living it as seems best to us. The things that seem to us good are none the less good for not being eternal, and we should not ask of the universe an external approval of our own ethical standards.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:24 PM

That bit illustrates why he won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Whether you agree with the sentiment or not, if you don't find the language beautiful, you have no feeling for language and should go get a job selling appliances at Sears or something like that.

That is damned beautiful language. And its author is a very eminent atheist, perhaps the most eminent; if you don't know about his work, you should.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:12 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
That bit illustrates why he won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Whether you agree with the sentiment or not, if you don't find the language beautiful, you have no feeling for language and should go get a job selling appliances at Sears or something like that.

That is damned beautiful language. And its author is a very eminent atheist, perhaps the most eminent; if you don't know about his work, you should.
That's really bad career advice as the Sears stores are closing. I think a person would be better off getting a job as a front desk clerk at a Holiday Inn as everyone has, or will, stay there once.

Seriously though, can you not see how this post of yours is condescending?

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 12-16-2018 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: oops advice not advise..stupid, stupid, stupid...hey stop hitting yourself L8

Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I think many of you are missing a point: The person may simply be trying to parse an experience and glean worth from it in hindsight. Who among us does not? It doesn't necessarily mean they attribute the experience itself to the machinations of a god-thing.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think many of you are missing a point: The person may simply be trying to parse an experience and glean worth from it in hindsight. Who among us does not? It doesn't necessarily mean they attribute the experience itself to the machinations of a god-thing.
You're right. I do it and I'm an atheist. I've shook my fist at the universe many times saying "well played".

Old 12-16-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's really bad career advice as the Sears stores are closing. I think a person would be better off getting a job as a front desk clerk at a Holiday Inn as everyone has, or will, stay there once.

Seriously though, can you not see how this post of yours is condescending?
Yes, I thought about that. Sears was in the news today for sure. Telling someone to get a job selling appliances at Sears is an old, very old, cliché.

No, I don't see my post as condescending. Maybe it's a problem on your end? (Is using diacritical marks snobbish? Perhaps you think so?)

Old 12-16-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, I thought about that. Sears was in the news today for sure. Telling someone to get a job selling appliances at Sears is an old, very old, cliché.

No, I don't see my post as condescending. Maybe it's a problem on your end? (Is using diacritical marks snobbish? Perhaps you think so?)
OK. I'll admit I had to look that word up, but no. That has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
OK. I'll admit I had to look that word up, but no. That has nothing to do with it.
Get it together, dude, the time line is off. My comment about diacritical marks occurred after your initial criticism, accusing me of being condescending. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism