Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 03:46 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Although I really dislike most Christmas movies, especially the live-action (ie: not animated) ones. Usually I like James Stewart movies, but I absolutely detest the syrupy It's A Wonderful Life.

And, yes I agree that after you've been forced to hear Christmas music everywhere you go for almost two months (Thanksgiving? They start after Halloween) you start thinking that a complete ban might be nice. My other pet peeve is the artificial scents that stores get dowsed with - it smells like a rotten skunk corpse got left in a candy & ice cream forest. Gah. The hobby and craft stores are the worst because they start with the holiday stuff in late summer.
I am the one person on the planet who has never seen this movie.

I have a hard time watching James Stewart and listening to his voice. It just grates on me, and that whole "aw-shucks" demeanor makes me want to slap him.

I've been told I would really like the movie, though. Maybe one of these years I can work through my Jimmy Stewart thing, lol.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:54 PM

50,901 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I have a hard time watching James Stewart and listening to his voice. It just grates on me, and that whole "aw-shucks" demeanor makes me want to slap him.

I've been told I would really like the movie, though. Maybe one of these years I can work through my Jimmy Stewart thing, lol.
What kind of person wants to slap Jimmy Stewart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What kind of person wants to slap Jimmy Stewart?
Ah, remember where I am from.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:12 PM

50,901 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Ah, remember where I am from.
Ah yes...you're more the Jimmy Cagney type!

Old 05-01-2019, 05:07 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,647,891 times
Quote:

There's another version with Marlo Thomas as the main character and the guy who played Honeycutt on M*A*S*H as her spouse. I think Orson Welles played Mr. Potter.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
There's another version with Marlo Thomas as the main character and the guy who played Honeycutt on M*A*S*H as her spouse. I think Orson Welles played Mr. Potter.
I never heard of that!

Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,940,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It is called It Happened One Christmas and is based on It's a Wonderful Life but with Mary as George (gender role reversal)

https://youtu.be/9jldjq8TIEQ

Last edited by nana053; 05-01-2019 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 05:13 PM

895 posts, read 476,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m curious, how do atheists feel about Christmas songs/movies? Are you ok with this?
Religion often lends to expressions of the depths of human emotion, so there are many beautifully crafted Christmas/religious songs executed by extremely skillful performers, that are quite enjoyable as such. Much talent and skill has been applied to religious music (not so much movies). Many of the old hymns as well as more modern songs are brimming with deep passionate human expression. Many of the worlds beautiful buildings exist due to inspired architects and the extreme commitment of religious people. Some are breathtaking. One does not need to accept any god exists to experience appreciation for beauty.

This question does hint at why religious people find it so hard to grasp non-religious concepts, because many religions are digital on nearly all topics. EVERYTHING MUST BE good or bad, right or wrong, holy or evil, positive or negative, without the slightest consideration of the analog pragmatism of reality. It is one of the best ways to propagate a religion, and one of the saddest ways to miss out on so many wonderful things in life.

Let me ask you, do you like the Christmas composition, "The Nutcracker Suite" by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky?
Is it not beautiful? Tchaikovsky was a homosexual atheist. What is an atheist doing writing music that has inspired Christmas Eve wonder in children for decades? Hmm... There are scores of others as well. If you can enjoy even one of them, then you can certainly understand what it is to enjoy music written by someone with a belief system other than your own.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:28 PM

27,617 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m curious, how do atheists feel about Christmas songs/movies? Are you ok with this?
I happened to be agnostic.

Music is music. I enjoy all kinds, including a lot of Christmas music.

I even play Christmas holiday music on the guitar.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:02 PM

895 posts, read 476,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I happened to be agnostic.

Music is music. I enjoy all kinds, including a lot of Christmas music.

I even play Christmas holiday music on the guitar.

[Off topic warning]
You do know everyone is agnostic, .........whether or not they realize it?
Gnostic means knowledge, therefore a-gnostic means lacking knowledge. Since no one has verifiable knowledge of the existence of any god, everyone is therefore, by definition, agnostic.

Whereas theism is a belief in one or more gods. If there were verifiable knowledge, belief disappears. And respectively, a-theism is the lack of belief in a god. (Conversely, anti-theism is a positive belief there is no god(s).)

An agnostic atheist would be correct in saying, "I don't know & I don't believe."
An agnostic theist would be correct in saying, "I don't know & I do believe."

These don't really work
A gnostic atheist would not exist if they held, "I know & I don't believe", they would simply morph from agnostic atheist to gnostic with the knowledge of god(s).
A gnostic theist would not exist if they held, "I know & I do believe", they would simply morph from agnostic theist to gnostic with the knowledge of god(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism