Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 02:00 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nonsense! Many of the regular posters in this forum were Christians for a long time and understand that religion very well, no matter how long they have called themselves atheists. Atheists are people who don't believe in any God (or gods). No newbie, older, Levels, or veterans. Just atheists. Maybe you're just making all this stuff up.
The concept of NEW atheists is well known. I am not making this up. Google is your friend, give it a try. Furthermore, you reduce atheism to extremely simplistic terms which is a NEWBIE move. You prove my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 02:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The concept of NEW atheists is well known. I am not making this up. Google is your friend, give it a try.
It's the concept of NEW atheism, not new atheists.

People are either atheists (not believing in any gods) or not atheists (theists - believing in a god or gods). It does not follow that there are levels of atheism.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It's the concept of NEW atheism, not new atheists.

People are either atheists (not believing in any gods) or not atheists (theists - believing in a god or gods). It does not follow that there are levels of atheism.
Black and white guy = Newbie

Another guy that proves my point.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:

Nope! You destroy your point with most of your posts. I was brought up Catholic, became an atheist at 16 or so and I am 74 years old now. I don't believe in any god or gods and I certainly don't believe Catholic doctrine any longer.

The fact is that atheism does not have *levels* so you are totally wrong about it.

Not a guy either - my handle should give that away.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:

That's probably more so with people who use their belief system as a means to an end.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Nope! You destroy your point with most of your posts. I was brought up Catholic, became an atheist at 16 or so and I am 74 years old now. I don't believe in any god or gods and I certainly don't believe Catholic doctrine any longer.

The fact is that atheism does not have *levels* so you are totally wrong about it.

Not a guy either - my handle should give that away.
Oops, sorry about about the handle.

Like you, I realized that the existence of God was highly unlikely in my late teens. Later on I even discussed this issue with a Jesuit priest who turns out was also agnostic. He even said many educated religious people struggle with that, no big deal. I really didn't care if there was a God or not. That was not really important to me. I did not grow bitter or disappointed. I got married and sent my kids to Catholic School for 12 years. I think they are also agnostic, but they won't talk about it.

Why do some atheists have such an intense desire to believe? Why do they adopt the new atheism philosophy?

Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The problem with provoking a confrontation with Christians is, that is THEIR standard operating procedure. Personally I wait until they attempt to impose their beliefs on me, and THEN I lower the boom. If they really want to discuss their beliefs with me, I am more than eager to oblige them. Mormons and JW's are always very welcome at my door. They rarely return a second time however. Dammit!

I tell JW's that I was disfellowshipped 48 years ago (which is true). Strangely, they don't come back.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:24 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:

Like you, I realized that the existence of God was highly unlikely in my late teens. Later on I even discussed this issue with a Jesuit priest who turns out was also agnostic. He even said many educated religious people struggle with that, no big deal. I really didn't care if there was a God or not. That was not really important to me. I did not grow bitter or disappointed. I got married and sent my kids to Catholic School for 12 years. I think they are also agnostic, but they won't talk about it.

Why do some atheists have such an intense desire to believe? Why do they adopt the new atheism philosophy?
Speaking only for myself, my hope is that atheism becoming more vocal may help stop what you did in sending them to Christian schools, for instance, and , instead, teaching them that they are not worthless "dirty rags" with inherited sins but, instead, worthwhile people who possess the ability to accomplish what they desire by their own efforts. Giving them a chance to start AT the starting line, not behind it.
Possibly, your kids won't discuss it because they didn't fall for it and just are trying to maintain a noncontroversial relationship with you

Old 05-05-2019, 03:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:

uhhh.... atheism is the LACK of belief in a god or gods.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:50 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:

Gee I wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism