Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 08:07 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times

Advertisements

Christians, like most cult followers don’t want to hear your opinion. They are caught up in this religion and no matter what you say they don’t want to stop yapping. This country was built on freedom of religion as well as freedom FROM religion. Stop making people feel guilty. It’s not your job to crusade for god. Live and let live. What’s the matter with that? Religion is a personal thing. Keep it to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A poster repeatedly asked for the names of non-new atheists that had contributed something in the past.
Friedrich Nietzsche and Ayn Rand were mentioned. For obvious reasons Rand is not a well liked atheist philosopher.
No. That is not what was asked.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:37 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Human norms are human norms. The places with the least violence, score highest in the happy index, cover their people with universal healthcare as a right, also are the countries where religion plays a very small role. The more secular, the better for the citizens involved.
It's an interesting thing about some of those countries, that are considered very secular, where religion supposedly has only a very small role. On the Europe forum, it's come out that in the Scandinavian countries, religion plays a larger role than is generally believed to be the case by outsiders. Schools close nation-wide for religious holidays. Baptism of infants, according to some posters, is still widely practiced. Some people still go to church at least on religious holidays. People from those countries were in disbelief, angrily so, when I said most people I know (including myself) weren't baptized as kids. There are regions of the US that are much more secular than those vaunted "secular" countries in Europe, contrary to the public images of same.

I think some Europeans hear about communities in the US, that mandate the teaching of creationism in schools, and other fundamentalist phenomena, and take that to be the norm in the US, when it's actually far from the norm.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-07-2019 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 10:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
OK, Ayn Rand a very famous atheist came up with the concepts of individualism and to reject altruism. That in itself is a major victory for atheism.
How does atheism reject altruism?! How is a rejection of altruism a "victory" for atheism??!! Frankly, the atheists I know are the most genuinely altruistic people I know.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
As I said a poster repeatedly asked for the names of old fashion atheists that had contributed in the past. Rand has written novels and is also a philosopher. I also mentioned Friedrich Nietzsche who is apparently much better accepted.
No, that's a lie. That was not what was asked.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:18 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, that's a lie. That was not what was asked.
Dude, you are very confrontational and angry. Do not post to me anymore.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How does atheism reject altruism?! How is a rejection of altruism a "victory" for atheism??!! Frankly, the atheists I know are the most genuinely altruistic people I know.
Atheists can be into social justice or libertarian.
Altruism is fine as long as you don't force that into others.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's an interesting thing about some of those countries, that are considered very secular, where religion supposedly has only a very small role. On the Europe forum, it's come out that in the Scandinavian countries, religion plays a larger role than is generally believed to be the case by outsiders. Schools close nation-wide for religious holidays. Baptism of infants, according to some posters, is still widely practiced. Some people still go to church at least on religious holidays. People from those countries were in disbelief, angrily so, when I said most people I know (including myself) weren't baptized as kids. There are regions of the US that are much more secular than those vaunted "secular" countries in Europe, contrary to the public images of same.

I think some Europeans hear about communities in the US, that mandate the teaching of creationism in schools, and other fundamentalist phenomena, and take that to be the norm in the US, when it's actually far from the norm.
You may want to correct the European forum members views, as they are incorrect:

https://wiki2.org/en/Irreligion_in_Sweden

I think I will take PEW's studies over someone's opinion of posters who only went by personal observations.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...us-commitment/

And as to my statement that secular societies are better than religious ones, it is not only my opinion:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ious-societies

Old 05-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You may want to correct the European forum members views, as they are incorrect:

I think I will take PEW's studies over someone's opinion of posters who only went by personal observations.

And as to my statement that secular societies are better than religious ones, it is not only my opinion:

A bill passed in 2016 and effective as of 1 January 2017 created the Church of Norway as an independent legal entity.[5][6] Until the 2012 constitutional amendment the Evangelical-Lutheran religion was the public religion of the State.[7][8][9][10] The Church of Norway will still obtain financial support from the state of Norway, along with other religious communities. WIKI

Old 05-07-2019, 01:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:

Some interesting information...the US and Mexico have about the same amount of religiously inclined people. And the former Soviet Union, which made a deliberate effort to discourage religion among the people, is now solidly blue with them.

Russia and South America seem to be the great holdouts here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism