Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times

Advertisements

1. He thought his father was God
2. He had no regular job
3. He had no money or savings account
4. He wasn't handsome
5. He brought his mother along on dates
6. Girls did not want him for soulmate
7. He never went to the fun parties
8. Girls got sick from his loaves and fishes
9. Girls were not impressed with his apartment
10. He was too intellectual for the in crowd.

LOL.... Was Jesus for real or a fraud? Just a very
smart Jewish carpenter/rabbi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
1. He thought his father was God
2. He had no regular job
3. He had no money or savings account
4. He wasn't handsome
5. He brought his mother along on dates
6. Girls did not want him for soulmate
7. He never went to the fun parties
8. Girls got sick from his loaves and fishes
9. Girls were not impressed with his apartment
10. He was too intellectual for the in crowd.

LOL.... Was Jesus for real or a fraud? Just a very
smart Jewish carpenter/rabbi?
I don't know if he was married. he may very well have been.

why that would lessen him? thats for physiologist to decide.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
There is a school of thought that argues that - If, If - we can trust the gospel story at all, Jesus probably Was married. Indeed, if the Anointing story is at all true, the woman who anointed him would have had to be married to him.

But we may not be able to rely on what it says.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I apologize for not recalling where I saw it or whose thesis it was, but I once read a seemingly persuasive argument that the Wedding Feast of Cana was actually the marriage of Jesus. I remember that the thrust of the argument was that the Hebrew tradition was that no one ever ordered servants around save the master of the household. The Feast of Cana features Jesus ordering the servants to fill up some water vessels (so that he could change it into wine) and this would have been a shocking break with protocol unless they were the servants of Jesus.

I am not a Biblical scholar, I have read a couple of dozen books by those who are, but I'm not in any position to critique claims such as the one described above. You really need to be able to read Aramaic and Greek to enter the field.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I apologize for not recalling where I saw it or whose thesis it was, but I once read a seemingly persuasive argument that the Wedding Feast of Cana was actually the marriage of Jesus. I remember that the thrust of the argument was that the Hebrew tradition was that no one ever ordered servants around save the master of the household. The Feast of Cana features Jesus ordering the servants to fill up some water vessels (so that he could change it into wine) and this would have been a shocking break with protocol unless they were the servants of Jesus.

I am not a Biblical scholar, I have read a couple of dozen books by those who are, but I'm not in any position to critique claims such as the one described above. You really need to be able to read Aramaic and Greek to enter the field.
Quite correct. If..IF... one weaves together the gospels as odd memories of singular events into a whole reliable record (I no longer trust that theory; once, I almost did) Then Jesus and the Mary who anointed him had to have been married. As you say, the responsibility for providing wine at Cana appears to have devolved upon Jesus and his mother. That makes it look very much like Jesus' own wedding.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Quite correct. If..IF... one weaves together the gospels as odd memories of singular events into a whole reliable record (I no longer trust that theory; once, I almost did) Then Jesus and the Mary who anointed him had to have been married. As you say, the responsibility for providing wine at Cana appears to have devolved upon Jesus and his mother. That makes it look very much like Jesus' own wedding.
How interesting.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
How interesting.
That's what I thought. I used the Plot as a "detective novel" (set in the Ad 50's) that investigated the Claims about Jesus.

It turned out to be too boring to even try to publish.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-23-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 03:44 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's what I thought. I used the Plot as a "detective novel" (set in the Ad 50'S) that investigated the Claims about Jesus.

It turned out to be too boring to even try to publish.
I wonder if there were biological children.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I wonder if there were biological children.
One point made is that under Jewish law Jesus Ought to have been married. One of the 'Real Jesus' Theories argued that Barabbas (Son of the master) was Jesus' son, which is why Jesus agreed to swap himself for his son's release...the whole context of it being the 'Chief Priests' pushing for the release of Barabbas being conveniently forgotten in order to make the theory work.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:14 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
In some schools of thought, Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. If Jesus were real then he would be going against his own teachings and himself. After all, he is god and god is a virgin. Supposedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism