Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

In a sense, this question is a big part of our discussions here on the Religion & Spirituality" subforum. When you think of it, we atheists are often claiming a disrespect toward our beliefs (or lack therefor) and personal freedom. The religionists are also claiming a disrespect toward their beliefs, particularly christians on this forum, even though -- at least in America -- they claim to be the majority.

So what do individuals deserve in terms of respect when it comes to their religious views?

To get the discussion started, I would suggest that -- without overthinking it -- my view is:

I should respect the right of each person to hold whatever belief system they identify with.
I should respect the right of each person to practice their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) in the privacy of their home, their place of worship, or their mind, but not where the practice of their religion intersects with other people's religious beliefs.
I owe not one ounce of demonstrable respect or disrespect for their religious belief system (here I am not talking about a discussion such as what we have here on a forum; I'm talking real world).

Perhaps we even need to establish what the word respect means. To be honest, the definitions I just looked up didn't seem appropriate to the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 07:42 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In a sense, this question is a big part of our discussions here on the Religion & Spirituality" subforum. When you think of it, we atheists are often claiming a disrespect toward our beliefs (or lack therefor) and personal freedom. The religionists are also claiming a disrespect toward their beliefs, particularly christians on this forum, even though -- at least in America -- they claim to be the majority.

So what do individuals deserve in terms of respect when it comes to their religious views?

To get the discussion started, I would suggest that -- without overthinking it -- my view is:

I should respect the right of each person to hold whatever belief system they identify with.
I should respect the right of each person to practice their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) in the privacy of their home, their place of worship, or their mind, but not where the practice of their religion intersects with other people's religious beliefs.
I owe not one ounce of demonstrable respect or disrespect for their religious belief system (here I am not talking about a discussion such as what we have here on a forum; I'm talking real world).

Perhaps we even need to establish what the word respect means. To be honest, the definitions I just looked up didn't seem appropriate to the question.
The issue is that many on both sides think that a different opinion is disrespect. Things get worse when the offended party gets to decide what is respectful and what is not. I would apply these two quotes to any discussion that has opposite points of view.

“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion..."

John Stuart Mill

Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience.

Adam Smith

Last edited by Julian658; 04-19-2021 at 08:35 AM..

Old 04-19-2021, 07:46 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
I have no qualms tolerating religious people as long as they aren’t trying to push their beliefs onto me personally or broader society, generally, although I also support the First Amendment’s Establishment and Free Exercise clauses.

Respect is a somewhat higher bar. If people see religion as a reason to do true good for the world, and are moderate to progressive in their belief structures, I’ll give them all of the respect in the world. If people have backward or retrograde worldviews based on their religion, I won’t respect their beliefs, but I won’t challenge their right to coexist, either, as long as they only lobby for these beliefs within their own insular communities.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I have no qualms tolerating religious people as long as they aren’t trying to push their beliefs onto me personally or broader society, generally, although I also support the First Amendment’s Establishment and Free Exercise clauses.

Respect is a somewhat higher bar. If people see religion as a reason to do true good for the world, and are moderate to progressive in their belief structures, I’ll give them all of the respect in the world. If people have backward or retrograde worldviews based on their religion, I won’t respect their beliefs, but I won’t challenge their right to coexist, either, as long as they only lobby for these beliefs within their own insular communities.
This is what I mean guys: Virtue

Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience.

Adam Smith

Old 04-19-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This is what I mean guys: Virtue

Adam Smith
What, exactly, do you mean? I’m just about the least militant atheist you’ll ever meet, but all bets are off when someone purports to disrespect my belief system or claim that the rest of society should kowtow to their worldview.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
The issue is that many on both sides think that a different opinion is disrespect. Things get worse when the offended party gets to decide what is respectful.and what is not. I would apply these two quotes to any discussion that has opposite points of view.

“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion..."

John Stuart Mill

Adam Smith
Good post. I especially agree that a different opinion is not disrespect.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Another good post. Thank you.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
What, exactly, do you mean? I’m just about the least militant atheist you’ll ever meet, but all bets are off when someone purports to disrespect my belief system or claim that the rest of society should kowtow to their worldview.
What do you call disrespect may not be disrespect to others. To have a fruitful discussion you must accept the risk that the other side may say something you consider offensive. Otherwise, there is no conversation and no one learns anything new.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
What do you call disrespect may not be disrespect to others. To have a fruitful discussion you must accept the risk that the other side may say something you consider offensive. Otherwise, there is no conversation and no one learns anything new.
I still don’t understand what you mean. I’m not easily offended, and I’m willing to give people the benefit of the doubt if their intentions seem good and they correct their behavior upon learning that it offends someone else.

Outside of this forum, I’m not really looking for any fruitful discussion—at least when it comes to debating the merits of someone’s sincerely held personal beliefs. As smart and persuasive as I fancy myself, I know I’m not changing anybody’s mind on matters of religion and spirituality, nor do I really care to. When I take issue with someone’s belief structure, it’s not the notion of a higher power that offends me, but what certain people believe this higher power compels them to do.

For example, I have no problem with the basic concept of an Evangelical Protestant believing that Jesus Christ is their lord and savior. I have a huge problem if this same Evangelical Protestant is lobbying for legislation to deny LGBTQ+ persons equal rights based on their subjective belief of what Jesus would do.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-19-2021 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-19-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Okay. But remember, the question before us is what respect is due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism