Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times

Advertisements

sometimes, I feel like a bug in a jar w/ all the xtian questions about "do you wish you believed", "what are your thoughts about Jesus", "what are your thoughts about abortion", etc.

We are humans with morals just like anyone. We believe murder is wrong, we believe in equal rights, we're dems and repubs. Eh, I'm probably not expressing myself correctly, but it's just weird, like xtians think we're from outer space or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
sometimes, I feel like a bug in a jar w/ all the xtian questions about "do you wish you believed", "what are your thoughts about Jesus", "what are your thoughts about abortion", etc.

We are humans with morals just like anyone. We believe murder is wrong, we believe in equal rights, we're dems and repubs. Eh, I'm probably not expressing myself correctly, but it's just weird, like xtians think we're from outer space or something.
Hey.. just cause you aren't from outer space dosen't mean some of us aren't. I know I am.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,447 times
I understand what you're saying Nicole. It's not just Christians questioning atheists though, just take a look at a few threads that have been started by atheists asking Christians various questions about their faith or the Bible. It does go both ways.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ike-other.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...eate-evil.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...salvation.html

Old 07-01-2008, 12:56 AM

553 posts, read 567,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
I understand what you're saying Nicole. It's not just Christians questioning atheists though, just take a look at a few threads that have been started by atheists asking Christians various questions about their faith or the Bible. It does go both ways.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ike-other.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...eate-evil.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...salvation.html

There is one little subtle difference Deb. Those threads actually goes into length. The questions Nicole speaks about are one sentence questions left out there for discussion. I have NO problem with that at all, but once when I did that over on the Christian forum I was warned that I was trolling and this is the reason why I actually type up mini-books instead nowadays .

Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
There is one little subtle difference Deb. Those threads actually goes into length. The questions Nicole speaks about are one sentence questions left out there for discussion. I have NO problem with that at all, but once when I did that over on the Christian forum I was warned that I was trolling and this is the reason why I actually type up mini-books instead nowadays .
Ok, gotcha

Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
If someone like Deb came on here and posed the question of "What do Atheists have to say about Jesus?" and we responded, one might naturally expect her to respond in kind. Perhaps asking further questions, perhaps correcting an errant statement, and not necessarily even preaching. What I'm finding happening is that when someone does indeed respond who is not an Atheist/Agnostic they are criticized for pushing a religious agenda or for proselytizing. While I'm finding that amongst ourselves (the Atheists/Agnostics) we argue much less in comparison to the religious, there is still an element of cohesion that seems to thwart any and sometimes all points of view not dealing with Atheism or Agnosticism. That, in essence, almost becomes the very thing that many of us feel detracts from religion.

I would actually hope that if someone posed a question such as "How do you deal with 'X' " That it would result in a two-way conversation between different Atheists/Agnostics and perhaps a believer. I think what's happening is that those few who do dare come on here and ask questions are intimidated to respond any further and feel that any questions should best be left as "one-liners" so as not to stir the proverbial pot.

Quite honestly, I'd much rather see us engage in discussion and sometimes debate rather than have a ceremonious back-patting extravaganza. Taking the element of Atheism and putting it into a group all by itself seeks to personify an ideology and prohibits discussion in much the same way that religion does. The beautiful thing, to me, about being an Atheist is that I can take all matters of discussion and although I don't have to agree with them, I can look at them objectively and carry on a discussion with clear, concise, and objective skepticism and rational thought. And perhaps my views are felt similarly by me and only me but that doesn't make me or you or anyone else any less of an Atheist because the only fundamental tenant by default is that we just don't believe in a deity.

Therefore, I myself would actually encourage more Christians or other believers to come on here and ask questions. Some have been able to do it before but I get the feeling like they are really fearful and misunderstood of exactly what it is they are trying to say for fear of being labelled a "proselytizer". To me, this very notion and disbarment of "proselytization" is just as subjective a viewpoint as anything that any religious dichotomy seeks to aggrandize. It leaves different people open to interpret what exactly proselytizing is and the witch hunts and accusations will only persist from there.

It is therefore my solid opinion that seeking to identify with subjective rules and opinions in order to further foster an idea becomes no better than religion itself. I suspect that we all truly understand what the word "proselytize" means. I do not view "proselytizing" even as quoting the Bible if someone is trying to make a point from their own stand. I've been able, for the most part, to on occassion enter into the Christian forum in a non-confrontational manner without quoting the Bible and presenting my point using what I feel are valid, concise, and friendly points of view. While I certainly understand that most of us, myself included, feel that using the Bible to prove a point may be a bit circular in logic, it doesn't necessarily mean they are proselytizing.

To me, and here we go sounding so religious again, proselytizing is when someone comes on here to blatantly and stridently oppose and negate any conversation with empty substance and spouts off at the mouth about how we will all repent and burn in hell for our sins. But, merely mentioning something about religion or even a belief held within a religion is most certainly not proselytizing. To say so makes this entire forum one big farcical notion and cohesively bonds people together as a religious following. I dare say that I am ardently against anything dealing with subjective laws and convenient mental masturbation used to favor ones own agenda.

Ok, I'll get off the podium now. Just thought I'd bring my own two cents into it.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 AM

I appreciate your thoughts on this Troop. You mentioned the thread I started about Jesus, and there's also one I started about the Bible (which I'm pretty sure you responded to ). One of the reasons I haven't come back to either thread to respond to comments made is because of what you said, I don't want to be accused of proselytizing. It also takes me a long time to compose my thoughts when posting a message and I can easily spend 20 minutes or more just trying to get something typed out and I frankly don't have that kind of time most days. I would rather not say anything at all then just post whatever I can type up in five minutes.

So having said all of that I think what I'd like to do is start a thread in the R & P forum about Jesus and perhaps one about the Bible and invite those who are believers (whether it be Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, or whoever) to post their thoughts. I would love it if the atheists on the forum would take a look at those threads and read what is posted.

Now just as an fyi, it took me exactly 22 minutes to type what you just read!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 PM

553 posts, read 567,859 times
Me, I don't really care. I just thought that if a person posted a one sentence question to even "bait" me into a discussion, it matters not to me. I can hold my own and I certainly do not mind a two-way, respectful discussion.

Old 10-30-2023, 04:22 PM

501 posts, read 167,391 times
I actually visited a barber in a small Texas town who was arrested the same week for cattle and sheep rustling. The haircut was so bad my wife ended up shaving my head as the only solution.

Is GCSTroop still around? He sounds several levels above the typical contributor.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:56 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post

People make assumptions about others and it isn't always negative assumptions. Often people assume I am a christian, believing the same as they do, and if the subject doesn't come up or I am not asked I leave it alone because those people tend to go into meltdown when their assumptions are proven wrong. Some people assume I am a devil worshiper because they know I am not a christian, what else could I be since there is only one god and one religion? Ha Ha. Anyway, the ones who post these silly questions in the atheist./agnostic forum are looking for a fight or a reason to justify thier bias' and predjudice. It doesn't serve to answer them when it is obvious the questioner is a christian who is not really looking for answers, but rather justification or an argument.

Some might actually want to understand a different position but the only way to tell is how they respond to the answers to their question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism