Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

There's really only one person in my life that I would feel very uncomfortable with about openly sharing my point of view as an atheist and that's my StepFather. He's been married to my Mother for fourty years and he's actually a great guy and I think very highly of him. However, he's deeply religious and I really think if we ever got into that kind of conversation it would create some bad feelings. My Mother knows I'm not religious and I think my StepFather must know that too although he's never mentioned it. That's just one person I would never want to have a conversation about religion or atheism with. Do you feel that way about certain people that you're close to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
I would hate to share my religious, or rather lack or religious, views with my father's family. They're very religious and tend to be rather unforgiving. At least, I don't want to ever share these beliefs with them until I'm either an adult or the one person in that family whom I like, my grandfather, passes away. Once both of those things happen, then I won't keep my mouth shut if it comes up in conversation.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:27 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
Most of my friends and family think I'm an atheist, but I'm not and have never bothered to disabuse them of that notion. Since I can't prove there isn't a God, I can't call myself an atheist. But, I am positive that there isn't a religion out there that's got it right. Buddhism is probably the closest. I think I have only discussed this with my husband and and mother-in-law. But, I would hate to discuss my beliefs with my husband's extended family. His aunts, uncles, grandparents, 3rd cousins, and so on are all very religious. So are his parents, but they're much worldlier people than their relatives. I would do everything in my power to not have those discussions with his extended family. If push came to shove, I might be truthful, because they have little to do with our day to day lives. There was one instance where his 3rd cousin asked us a question. I hesitated enough that the pressure was put on my husband and he hemmed and hawed and eventually sputtered out a white lie. He later said he lied, because his grandmother was in the room and he didn't want to rock her world.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:55 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
My mom know's I'm non-practicing, but I've never flat out told her I'm an atheist. Relgion is one of those topics we really don't talk about anyways.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Not really. I would think that the people who love me the most would accept me for who I am.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
I don't think I'd necessarily have a problem sharing it with anyone in my family. No one that I know in my family or my wife's family really seems to care all that much. Very rarely does the topic of religion come up. However, I found out recently that my grandmother has lung cancer and she's probably going to die from it as she's too weak to receive chemo or an operation. So, when I head up there next month to say my last goodbye; if she wants me to pray for her (which I'm not even sure if she's religious or not - she's never brought it up) I suppose the least I could do is act like I am praying or at least say "I will" rather than tell her that I don't believe in God but I get the sneaking suspicion she has her doubts too.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
My family is all black and about 80% of them are from the south.

You can figure the rest out.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
My entire family is unaware of how I feel. I am not in contact with them so thats easily explained. If they knew, they would go into orbit and posibly try to catch me with a straight jacket and de-program me or some such. Lock me in a room with one of their ministers and try to beat me to death with their ideas.

Its literally not something I talk about because with some people, its like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I don't talk about religion in day to day life, I walk away from people who do but I don't give people an excuse to try and save me either.

People who think I need to be saved and they are going to do it in spite of the reality that I have heard it all before and will not change my feelings, really make me mad and sort of freak me out.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There's really only one person in my life that I would feel very uncomfortable with about openly sharing my point of view as an atheist and that's my StepFather. He's been married to my Mother for fourty years and he's actually a great guy and I think very highly of him. However, he's deeply religious and I really think if we ever got into that kind of conversation it would create some bad feelings. My Mother knows I'm not religious and I think my StepFather must know that too although he's never mentioned it. That's just one person I would never want to have a conversation about religion or atheism with. Do you feel that way about certain people that you're close to?
You probably better off not bringing up the conversation with your step-father, ever. Even if you have thoughts about it. Why ruin perfectly fine relationship!

As for me, no one ever asked, and i guess that really doesn't matter. I don't ask anyone either, i don't care, i like or don't like people for reasons other then religion.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
its like waving a red flag in front of a bull.
I know this isn't really important at all, but bulls are color blind. It doesn't really matter what color the flag is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism