Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times

Advertisements

I have seen them in the men’s bathrooms at several store in the Raleigh NC area, they stick them over the urinals. I suspect that is because nobody looks anywhere but forward when in there.
I can handle their stick up cards better than being approached in the men’s room of a 5 star Vegas hotel with cards advertising ladies of the evening. I don’t think I had ever had someone walk up to me and start a conversation while I was using a urinal. Some things you just do not do and that one is at the top of my list.
I bet they go to the same marketing school.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
LOL...yeh, lets go after the track wielding Christians....better keep them from our kids and go into Target packin' our firearm next time just to be safe.

C'mon people....if you don't like it throw it in the trash. With all the mental/emotional stress you are causing yourselves getting worked up over such pithy circumstances you could be doing something really positive and helping the world. Ease up, relax, chill. Blessings.
Its not going after them. Its politely asking them not to interfere with the business operations of a billion dollar company. For them to assume that they have the right to distribute the information on private property is retarded which I'm guessing they aren't. Hence I have to assume they are doing it with full knowledge that what they are doing is not looked upon in a kind light from the company. As such they are engaging in an activity purposefully that they know to be wrong. Simple as that. They don't even ask. They just "do". If they wanted to be in accordance with the private property owner they why not just ask management if it would be ok? My guess is because they know they will be told "no" in the first place.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I would expect they would stop if asked.

I can't imagine a group or individual being militant about that.

I've seen these things in restrooms, but never in the merchandise.
But thats the point. Why didn't they ask first?

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
While I don't believe that Christian tracts are something to get overly upset over, I do wonder just what it is that these folks think they are accomplishing by leaving these things in stores, bathrooms, phone booths, restaurants, etc.? Is God so incapable of spreading whatever message he wishes to share, that he must rely on bits of paper strewn about town? Although, I will say, there are some out there that are entertaining, in an annoying, nonsensical, and over-the-top sort of way, such as the Chick tracts.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
But thats the point. Why didn't they ask first?
I dunno. Maybe they didn't think they'd need permission to do this. I sure wouldn't have thought it would cause enough of a ruckus to make an issue out of it. In the end, aren't they just trying to reach someone unreached, regardless of how you or I feel about it, isn't that all they are trying to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
While I don't believe that Christian tracts are something to get overly upset over, I do wonder just what it is that these folks think they are accomplishing by leaving these things in stores, bathrooms, phone booths, restaurants, etc.? Is God so incapable of spreading whatever message he wishes to share, that he must rely on bits of paper strewn about town? Although, I will say, there are some out there that are entertaining, in an annoying, nonsensical, and over-the-top sort of way, such as the Chick tracts.
I'm sure they think they might make some small difference in someone's life by offering them the hope of salvation. Also, I have heard of many folks who got something like that at just the right time and God used it as a tool to speak to them. Again, I had no idea something like this would be such a big deal. I don't freak over Mormon or JW material, I just chunk it.

Obviously I'm in the minority on this.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I dunno. Maybe they didn't think they'd need permission to do this.
Obviously.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:23 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
I dunno. Maybe they didn't think they'd need permission to do this. I sure wouldn't have thought it would cause enough of a ruckus to make an issue out of it. In the end, aren't they just trying to reach someone unreached, regardless of how you or I feel about it, isn't that all they are trying to do?

I'm sure they think they might make some small difference in someone's life by offering them the hope of salvation. Also, I have heard of many folks who got something like that at just the right time and God used it as a tool to speak to them. Again, I had no idea something like this would be such a big deal. I don't freak over Mormon or JW material, I just chunk it.

Obviously I'm in the minority on this.

I look at it as invasion or privacy. I would be offended, and if I thought the store had approved it I would no longer shop with them.

I suspect if you had atheist dropping information in items you bought; which discussed how your belief was wrong, your god a fake, your bible filled with lies, and if you didn’t change your soul would be lost, you would be offended too.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Obviously.
I guess I'm missing something, bigthirsty, it was your question.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I suspect if you had atheist dropping information in items you bought; which discussed how your belief was wrong, your god a fake, your bible filled with lies, and if you didn’t change your soul would be lost, you would be offended too.
You do realize that's what the JW material I mentioned earlier does, right?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:47 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
[font=Verdana]

I look at it as invasion or privacy. I would be offended

What if the merchandise in question contained $5 bills? Free lottery tickets? Coupons to the store? Lines of poetry from Robert Frost? Or just a smiley face saying "Have a nice day!" Or a pocket sized copy of the Constitution? Or tickets of a Yankees/Redsox game?

The most annoying things June ever remembers finding in merchandise she purchased were those dopey little sand stones in the pockets of the "stone washed jeans" she used to buy back in the early '80's.

June wishes she could still fit into those jeans she purchased back in the '80's. If June was able to slide herself into those jeans once again, truth be told, she wouldn't care what sorta religious fliers she found in the pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism