Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,303 times

Advertisements

You know, as much as I think any violent crime tends to be hateful, and despite the problems I have with labeling things as "hate crimes", if we have hate crime laws on the books and they're not applied evenly across the board, that's despicable.

PLEA FOR JUSTICE: The family of an Indianola teen shot to death is speaking out - WHO (http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-doyle-family-shooting-100810,0,3732283.story - broken link)

This 16 year old young man, an outspokenly devout Christian, murdered a 14-year old atheist boy because they argued about religion. Hate, oh yes. But now it looks as if he may serve no time at all?

Baby jesus cries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,003,786 times
I haven't read the article, but just the title turns me off.
"Devout Christian" my foot! "Hateful, Fanatical So-Called Christian" is more like it.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM

430 posts, read 583,864 times
This speaks to just how fundamentalist religious types would like to have all of society cow-tow to their beliefs and moral principles. After all, godless atheists SHOULD be hunted down and exterminated, right, MC?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
This speaks to just how fundamentalist religious types would like to have all of society cow-tow to their beliefs and moral principles. After all, godless atheists SHOULD be hunted down and exterminated, right, MC?
I'm speaking more to the issue that if it had been an atheist teen that murdered a christian teen over religion, I'm betting they'd be all up in arms for 'justice' over the hate crime against a christian.

All we're hearing from them on this one is chirping crickets. Jesus wept.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I'm speaking more to the issue that if it had been an atheist teen that murdered a christian teen over religion, I'm betting they'd be all up in arms for 'justice' over the hate crime against a christian.

All we're hearing from them on this one is chirping crickets. Jesus wept.
Within a neighboring area in on CD, I'm sure there are some sick individuals that would say jesus laughed.

I've said it before, and I will say it again, there is no hate as pure and vile at that based in the belief of some sadistic megalomaniac vindictive imaginary god.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,079 times
How do you know he was an atheist? I didn't see that in the article.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 AM

223 posts, read 269,078 times
This has nothing to do with religion. This is just a bad kid, shooting another kid for a stupid reason. Considering how often it happens, I wonder why there isn't a post for every child lost to gang violence, gun culture in the USA, or child soldiers around the world?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM

67 posts, read 143,780 times
The news does not mention he is an atheist. He is only one in the eyes of the spin doctors.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,959,821 times
True, this did not have to be an atheist victim. Both individuals could have been Christians. It could have been a Calvinist arguing with a Freewiller over predestination or choice. Perhaps a Southern Baptist shot a Pentacostal over the tongues question. Maybe a Fundamentalist shot a Catholic because the Catholic stated that the Pope is, indeed, not the Antichrist. It could have been an Evangelical who shot an Episcopalian or Methodist over acceptance of gays or female priests/ministers. Why it could easily have been a Fundamentalist/Evangelical who blew away a Mormon, Universalist or someone from a non-Christian belief, well, just because. We just don't know.

Then again, they are "one in the Lord", so none of the the scenarios above could have possibly happened.

Last edited by Fullback32; 10-12-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,603,494 times
I haven't seen any reputable source on the web that states the dead boy was an atheist - or what his beliefs were. From the following article, it seems like he was killed because he disagreed/argued with his friend - not because he espoused a particular belief of his own. From this little bit of information, it doesn't seem like a hate crime to me. Indianola police charge 14-year-old with murder | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

The prosecution lowered the charge from 1st to 2nd degree murder for a reason. It could be that the district judge takes a hard line against trying a juvenile as an adult. I don't know. It seems now the most the boy can get is about 4 years. From what I've seen online, the parents plea for justice is that the offender be tried as an adult - and to legislate more gun control.

Last edited by toosie; 10-12-2010 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: correct a typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism