Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,644,263 times

Advertisements

We all agree that we share one common thing and that is that we don't believe in God but I suspect that there may be other beliefs that a great many of us share as well. One obvious belief that most of us must believe in is evolution and the fact that the origins of life are the result of natural processes. I can't even think of an alternative that's not religious. As far as our philosophy of life is concerned there's probably a wide range of beliefs among atheists. I believe in the philosophy of humanism and generally in a live and let live kind of attitude. I don't really care what other people believe as long as they're not trying to force me to believe the same thing. I support rights for gays and lesbians, I'm pro choice, I'm a liberal to moderate democrat and I always vote. Generally we atheists tend to get along quite well on this forum so I do feel that we must share certain common points of view even though our philosophies may be very different. What are your thoughts about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,274,795 times
I suspect there is a lot of commonality among us but I bet there are also conservative atheists too. They don't come much more conservative than my father was and he was an atheist. I agreed on practically nothing with him except for the absence of a god in the universe.

I too believe in a live and let live - but also in your rights end where mine begin and vice versa. I believe each of us must be self-governing and responsible or anarchy eventually results with all the attendant chaos and danger. I believe in a society that respect the rule of law administered fairly to all.
I believe in education and believe it should never end. I believe in always questioning in an effort to see and understand reality - not as I would like it be but as it really is. For only therein, can I make valid choices.
I do believe evolution does the best job of explaining how life came about and diversified. But there is also much that needs to be learned and figured out still. I also believe it is a waste of time and resources to argue about a magic beginning instead of how it happened/happens.
I believe in the scientific methodology and use of logic, but also that humans must recognize their own human failings and always be on guard against those in pursuit of real science and knowledge.

I could go on and on ...seems a little like that PBS series "This, I believe"

Old 06-13-2008, 05:46 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,364,595 times
I think we all have a basic moral ground, one which is not mandated by religion, but rather by the desire to be a better person day after day. Political I see a wider range than Montana, I am liberal in most if not all social values, but very conservative in fiscal matters. This makes me an independent. I vote in all elections, and my choice often relates to my fear of a one sided Supreme Court in either direction.
I do not vote for a person who rails on the Bible or is a member of the religious right. Just see the old south hypocrite coming out in them. I also find it hard to overlook political connections which reflect poorly on the religious choices. A person, regardless of how much I like them, that shows even a glimmer of a bigot has lost my vote.
My political preference would be an agnostic like Jefferson or an atheist like Lincoln, but I think I will not find such a person in our crop of political characters this time around.

I am also glad we now have our own sub.

Last edited by cncracer; 06-13-2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 07:19 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,183,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I think we all have a basic moral ground, one which is not mandated by religion, but rather by the desire to be a better person day after day.
I agree with that 100%

Quote:
Montana, I am liberal in most if not all social values, but very conservative in fiscal matters. This makes me an independent.
You're probably actually a Libertarian like me. They are usually described as being fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Quote:
I am also glad we now have our own sub.

Agreed.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,474,112 times
What do Atheists have in common? Other than being human I don't think that there is really anything else that we would share other than a non-belief. I may have similar beliefs and philosophies as to other Atheists but there aren't prerequisites that make up Atheism. But, we pretty much all agree upon that anyway.

As far as my political views. I do not really claim myself to be either a Republican or a Democrat. I've always found that the view in which you must state your political affiliation was rather ludicrous. It seems as if there is an imaginary line drawn that determines who and what (in some cases) you'll vote for. While I am finding myself particularly loathsome of the Republican Party at this current moment in time, it does not mean that I would never vote for a Republican. Likewise, with the Democratic Party, I find that at the current moment in time they appeal to me as to what is best for this country.

In the current election, I am trying very hard to REALLY weigh what is best for our country. As much as I want complete education reform (science being one of them), I realize that this "problem" is probably not as blatant and "in your face" as something like the Iraq War, the economy, and health care. It simply blows my mind how self-centered and egotistical people can be when they say that their main concern is something like abortion or gay marriage. Wait a second here... With all of the problems this country is facing right now, your sole reason for not voting for a candidate is because your personal religious view deems abortion/gay marriage as not acceptable??!?!!!

In all reality, I find that every election year, I try to do my best to vote for the right candidate who I feel will make this country better. If it means voting for a Republican in an election, so be it. If it means voting for a Democrat, so be it. I'm not so ridiculous as to say that I will only vote Democratic even though most of my personal views seem to line up with that of the Democratic party. I look at this country as a whole and what can wholly make it better and that's what I base my vote on.

As far as my other beliefs. My personal philosophy seems to be more in tune with my post earlier this morning on the Adam and Eve is immoral thread on the main R&P forum. That being, we really are living in the perpetual opening lines of Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.

Finally, as far as what Atheists have in common. One peculiar thing I've noticed about we Atheists is that we are not easily "lumped" together. Most of the ones I have met do not like to be tied down or restricted. I suppose that's why they call us Freethinkers. It seems to me like we like to have control of a situation, we do not want to be held down, tied up, or crammed into a corner. Or, as Dawkins puts it, it's like trying to herd cats.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:21 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,364,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
What do Atheists have in common? Other than being human I don't think that there is really anything else that we would share other than a non-belief. I may have similar beliefs and philosophies as to other Atheists but there aren't prerequisites that make up Atheism. But, we pretty much all agree upon that anyway.

As far as my political views. I do not really claim myself to be either a Republican or a Democrat. I've always found that the view in which you must state your political affiliation was rather ludicrous. It seems as if there is an imaginary line drawn that determines who and what (in some cases) you'll vote for. While I am finding myself particularly loathsome of the Republican Party at this current moment in time, it does not mean that I would never vote for a Republican. Likewise, with the Democratic Party, I find that at the current moment in time they appeal to me as to what is best for this country.

In the current election, I am trying very hard to REALLY weigh what is best for our country. As much as I want complete education reform (science being one of them), I realize that this "problem" is probably not as blatant and "in your face" as something like the Iraq War, the economy, and health care. It simply blows my mind how self-centered and egotistical people can be when they say that their main concern is something like abortion or gay marriage. Wait a second here... With all of the problems this country is facing right now, your sole reason for not voting for a candidate is because your personal religious view deems abortion/gay marriage as not acceptable??!?!!!

In all reality, I find that every election year, I try to do my best to vote for the right candidate who I feel will make this country better. If it means voting for a Republican in an election, so be it. If it means voting for a Democrat, so be it. I'm not so ridiculous as to say that I will only vote Democratic even though most of my personal views seem to line up with that of the Democratic party. I look at this country as a whole and what can wholly make it better and that's what I base my vote on.

As far as my other beliefs. My personal philosophy seems to be more in tune with my post earlier this morning on the Adam and Eve is immoral thread on the main R&P forum. That being, we really are living in the perpetual opening lines of Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.

Finally, as far as what Atheists have in common. One peculiar thing I've noticed about we Atheists is that we are not easily "lumped" together. Most of the ones I have met do not like to be tied down or restricted. I suppose that's why they call us Freethinkers. It seems to me like we like to have control of a situation, we do not want to be held down, tied up, or crammed into a corner. Or, as Dawkins puts it, it's like trying to herd cats.
Great post, I wanted to give you a point, but again it said I have to spread them around.
It is a great post as is the norm from you.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,474,501 times
From what little I have seen, we tend to look for the logical answer rather then the emotional one.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 AM

428 posts, read 1,632,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I agree with you in essence, but I will say the abortion issue is one that can turn my decision (I am pro-choice), although generally the candidate I vote for usually shares my values on this and other issues anyway. Although I do not feel abortion should be taken lightly, a woman's right to control her own body is so fundamental to a just society, it is as important in the long run as the economy and the damnable war.

Quote:
Or, as Dawkins puts it, it's like trying to herd cats.

Teresa

Old 06-14-2008, 07:59 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,644,263 times
I agree that atheists tend to be freethinkers and follow their own beliefs. I don't feel the need to belong to some sort of atheists club that has a particular agenda. I also agree with what Troop said about politics. I'm a Democrat because I can't think of a single Republican who represents what I believe in but if one came along I wouldn't hesitate to vote for him or her.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:43 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,656,015 times
I think perhaps athiests and agnostics are harder to pin down...even to ourselves. And that is a good thing!
I identify myself politically as a libertarian, I am drawn more to a liberal social ideal and a conservative fiscal ideal. Of course, there are exceptions to those 'rules' as well.
I think one thing I have found in common with athiests and agnostics (and this is by no means absolute....there are certainly some who this will not pertain to) is the willingness to admit that they do not have all the answers, and the willingness to learn even from sources that are in direct opposition to ones point of view.
In short, we tend to have inquiring minds and no set dogma to protect and defend.

Last edited by camping!; 06-14-2008 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: added a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism