Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy a break from reality in the form of a good book or well made movie that's based on supernatural events because I find it entertaining. Dean Koontz has written alot of books and I was noticing this afternoon how many of them I have collected. I think he's a good writer with a wild imagination and the same can be said for Stephen King. I have a very diverse collection of books including a large number of Penguin Classics, books on scientific topics (especially evolution), travel books, home improvement, politics, etc. and I've always enjoyed reading. I also enjoy a good movie based on a supernatural topic. It may seem odd for an atheist to enjoy reading books or watching movies about things that I know are make believe but I do and I wouldn't want to be a rationalist stick in the mud when it comes to entertainment. Do any other atheists or agnostics share my enthusiasm for supernatural books or movies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Oh yeah! Bram Stoker wrote a really good book, as did Mary Shelley, but, all in all, my favorite escape is still Mark Twain, I really like the way he views the world.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,455,496 times
Oh yes! I love ghost stories, fantasy and movies about supernatural stuff. I also enjoy Stephen King and Dean Koontz. I don't read a lot of fiction these days, but when I do it is either fantasy, sci-fi, or mysteries. I really enjoyed all the Harry Potter books. My 2nd favorite tv show these days is 'Supernatural', about 2 hunky brothers who go around fighting demons and other supernatural bad guys. There is a lot of christian mythology in their storylines.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
I read The Shining alone in an old, spooky cabin out in the middle of nowhere one night. The Santa Ana winds were howling, things were banging and creaking, and I enjoyed every second of being scared out of my ****.

That should answer your question.

EDIT: Damn filter. The naughty-no-no word I used is a 4 letter slang word for breasts, rhymes with wits. ****in rules.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,906,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I read The Shining alone in an old, spooky cabin out in the middle of nowhere one night. The Santa Ana winds were howling, things were banging and creaking, and I enjoyed every second of being scared out of my ****.

That should answer your question.

EDIT: Damn filter. The naughty-no-no word I used is a 4 letter slang word for breasts, rhymes with wits. ****in rules.
Wait a second!!! You have them????? I'm so confused.

To answer the OP:
I read a lot of Dean Koontz and Stephen King, then I moved on to Anne Rice, I loved the Vampires. I love Alien movies and ghost movies and fantasy movies and sci fi. But then I also love a wide variety of things including gospel choir music. But yeah, still an anthiest.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:26 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
I certainly do enjoy a trip from reality. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of movies that have ever truly gotten me frightened and most of them aren't your traditional "hack n' slash" ones. I think The Shining ranks up there as one of my favorites though; because it seemed more psychologically frightening than your ordinary ghost flick or escape from reality.

I really enjoyed The Omen movies as well although the first one was indeed the best.

Something strange... I've always found Catholic masses done in Latin with that sort of sing-song cadence to them (sort of like in
The Omen) with the church bells ringing in the background to be freaky.

I also really enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssey which I just recently watched again for the first time in years and even though it was more sci-fi than anything, I must admit I really liked it.

So, yeah, I enjoy an escape from reality every once in a while but it takes quite a bit for me to get spooked which I sometimes wish weren't true. Sometimes I'm really in the mood to be scared out of my mind but a lot of movies just don't do it for me.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Wait a second!!! You have them????? I'm so confused.

Little tiny moobs.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:18 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,251 times
Sure, why not?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:34 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
Oh yeah, I like a good fantasy. I don't like the dripping with christian stuff ones tho. They aren't entertaining and just seem like more preaching to me. The kind of fantasy that I find fun is a well crafted story and world that works logically within the parameters set up by the author. If I can't get past the thought of "that makes no sense", then it isn't enjoyable. A good author leads me down the primrose path of suspension of disbelief for a good yarn. Most sci fi is little more than fantasy and involves impossible stuff like going much faster than the speed of light.

But then I leave the fantasy world and know none of it applies to the real world. It is a scary thought that some people can't tell that it IS a fantasy and doesn't happen the real world.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,937 times
I love paranormal stories. Give me J.R. Ward and the Black Dagger Brotherhood or give me a boring existance. lol Dean Koontz and Stephen King are both up there in the good book category. And I absolutely love thrillers (The Crow, The Prophecy, etc), but my husband is a total scaredy cat. So I never get to see them in theaters. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism