Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 AM

117 posts, read 344,722 times

Advertisements

I'm going to state my beliefs and don't feel like debating about if I am right or wrong.

I tell people that I am an atheist because I don't believe in a literal omnipresent, omnipotent, all knowing "god". I feel "god" exists in the minds of believers due to fear of the unknown.

I do however believe that there was someone named Jesus (or what has been translated to Jesus) but that he was nothing more than a moral teacher. What he taught as "sins"/wrongdoings and the punishment that goes along with it; read as Hell was actually his way of emphasizing something along the lines of karma.

So basically, I have a lot of christian beliefs - I just do not believe in a literal "god". Does that truly make me an atheist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Technically yes. You do not have a belief in god. Theism = belief in god. 'A' = without. You are a-theist, without belief in god.

Whether you find inspiration and guidance from men, fictional or real, is irrelevant to the basic definition.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times
Yes.

A-theist are simply people without theism. That's it.

You don't have to deny Jesus to be an atheist, so long as you don't accept all the legendary myths that are associated with his story. I think it's plausible that a Jewish teacher named Jesus existed. He ended up getting in trouble with the law and nailed to a cross. That's about all I'm willing to accept.

Most christian morals, the good ones anyway, didn't originate in Christianity. You don't even have to think of them as christian beliefs.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 AM

117 posts, read 344,722 times
Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Well, 'karma' is something of a religious belief, in that it is supernatural. If you just think of it as 'what goes around comes around', maybe not.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:53 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
There is a Christian sect known as Christian Atheism. I have yet to meet a theistic Christian that accepts this sect as Christian, but **** 'em.
Christian Atheism
Christian atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I recommend the following for anyone who gets chubbies over Jesus. Thomas Jefferson took the original Bible and took out all the crap supernaturalism, leaving only the Life and Teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. The book is public domain (meaning it's not copyrighted--I.E. free), but Amazon does have them for sale.

Amazon.com: The Jefferson Bible (0046442077149): Thomas Jefferson, Forrest Church: Books

Old 05-22-2010, 03:34 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post
I'm going to state my beliefs and don't feel like debating about if I am right or wrong.

I tell people that I am an atheist because I don't believe in a literal omnipresent, omnipotent, all knowing "god". I feel "god" exists in the minds of believers due to fear of the unknown.

I do however believe that there was someone named Jesus (or what has been translated to Jesus) but that he was nothing more than a moral teacher. What he taught as "sins"/wrongdoings and the punishment that goes along with it; read as Hell was actually his way of emphasizing something along the lines of karma.

So basically, I have a lot of christian beliefs - I just do not believe in a literal "god". Does that truly make me an atheist?
Yes, it does...

Old 05-22-2010, 05:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post

Yes. If you believe in a historical Jesus as a man who taught but not in any 'god', then you are atheist.

That sounds odd even to me. One can perhaps be a follower of Jesus, revering his words and teachings, but qualify as an atheist.

But then, I believe that is just what Thomas Jefferson was. He was not much on organized religion and did not believe any of the supernatural or divine claims for Jesus, but he did believe that the Bible, or at least gospel code of morals was the best model for an individual or a society.

In that basis, he called himself a 'Christian'. An atheist (or close to it) Christian.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
One thing about your belief system that I must point out.

It actually seems plausible.

Although there is no concrete evidence that Jesus ever existed outside the gospels there is evidence that there were many individuals that could be described as similar to him in various ways.

There were many essenes, zealots, messianic delusionaries, pacifists....

The mystic parts of the Jesus story are probably pieces brought in from earlier mythologies, however much of his story could be based on real individuals during that time or an amalgamation of individuals.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:32 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
I just would get stuck on how this complex gorgeous world could of come from nothing.. I have seen explosions and collisions before and even those came from
something and they sure did not result in anything wonderous..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism