Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Funny...but it looked to me that mr thunderfoot was evasive and rambling. When Comfort tried to pin him down on something he'd just say "we don't know". It was like trying to nail jello to the wall.
Are you saying that you know everything?
I mean other than acting it, what do you know?

The buddha refused to answer these questions because NO ONE KNOWS.

If you knew, you'd have facts and proof; not a book that was written not even 2k years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Are you saying that you know everything?
I mean other than acting it, what do you know?

The buddha refused to answer these questions because NO ONE KNOWS.

If you knew, you'd have facts and proof; not a book that was written not even 2k years ago.
The thing is, the only thing he, and the rest of you guys think you know for sure is the non-existence of God. If you don't know, then you can't say there is no God.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
The thing is, the only thing he, and the rest of you guys think you know for sure is the non-existence of God. If you don't know, then you can't say there is no God.
And you know nothing different.
What do you know?
Science has some answers; no one has all of them.
chirsters weren't even around for eons, so how do you know what you say you know?

Seriously.

Are you one of those people at work who "knows" everything?
They're the kind you can't teach, or can't learn.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
That would be GODS, not GOD. Like atheists, YOU know for sure there is no Zeus, Apollo, Horus, RA, Thor, Odin, Vishnu, Isis, Enlil, Allah etc.

YOU are an atheist - just as much an atheist as anyone when it comes to all these other gods. But your god is no better or more valid than the others "just because". Why should your deity be given special consideration? Because a poorly written, error filled book and the voices in your head say so?

I mean, some of us are in fact open to the possibility there is a supreme being, but your primitive, man-made god is pretty ridiculous as far as possible candidates go.. just as ridiculous as Zeus or Thor, if not more so.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
That would be GODS, not GOD. Like atheists, YOU know for sure there is no Zeus, Apollo, Horus, RA, Thor, Odin, Vishnu, Isis, Enlil, Allah etc.
You're right, actually. The 1st-century Christians were criticized and called "atheists" because they didn't believe in multiple Gods.
Quote:
YOU are an atheist - just as much an atheist as anyone when it comes to all these other gods. But your god is no better or more valid than the others "just because". Why should your deity be given special consideration? Because a poorly written, error filled book and the voices in your head say so?
I believe that my God is the only God. He is the creator God. If he exists, there can be no other God.
Quote:
I mean, some of us are in fact open to the possibility there is a supreme being, but your primitive, man-made god is pretty ridiculous as far as possible candidates go.. just as ridiculous as Zeus or Thor, if not more so.
Honestly...I don't think you are open to it. At the risk of being accused of prosletyzing I won't go any deeper here, though.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Thunderfoot's stuttering was distracting, which is too bad. But, Comfort was just ridiculous. I was hoping for a scientific debate and thus far (5-6 vids in), Thunderfoot didn't bring it.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Honestly...I don't think you are open to it. At the risk of being accused of prosletyzing I won't go any deeper here, though.
Open to your primitive, plagiarized, blatantly transparent, man made god? Nope, not a chance. Open to the possibility of a hitherto unknown/unrevealed "creative force" or supreme entity of some sort? Sure. But "I don't know" is still the best answer.

And yes thank you - do save your prosletyzing - I know it all and have heard all the Xian BS. I used to be one of you before I grew up and learned to think for myself.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Thunderfoot's stuttering was distracting, which is too bad. But, Comfort was just ridiculous. I was hoping for a scientific debate and thus far (5-6 vids in), Thunderfoot didn't bring it.
I was honestly expecting him to be rather rude and obnoxious. I was pleasantly surprised that the conversation was as cordial as it was. Thunderfoot seemed like (at least from this recording) a decent guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Open to your primitive, plagiarized, blatantly transparent, man made god? Nope, not a chance. Open to the possibility of a hitherto unknown/unrevealed "creative force" or supreme entity of some sort? Sure. But "I don't know" is still the best answer.

And yes thank you - do save your prosletyzing - I know it all and have heard all the Xian BS. I used to be one of you before I grew up and learned to think for myself.
Well...at least I can't accuse you of not having your say, can I? Unlike Thunderfoot, you're certainly not going to be accused of being too nice about it.

Pay attention--you might learn a thing or two from him.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Well...at least I can't accuse you of not having your say, can I? Unlike Thunderfoot, you're certainly not going to be accused of being too nice about it.

Pay attention--you might learn a thing or two from him.
YOU pay attention dear, because YOU need any lesson that Thunderf00t may teach FAR more than I do. Lessons in reality. I've been a fan of his for a long time. And if you think he's always polite, I suggest you watch some of his vids in which he rips your creatard brethren new ___holes.

And rightfully so - being polite isn't always the best policy, especially when dealing with folks as dangerous to knowledge, science, and civilization as Id'ers/Creos are.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Qed

If we all start with an open mind and palate, and objectively look at the hypotheses and facts supoprting several optional belief systems, or the total absence of iconic theatrical ones, we can hopefully make our mind up in some rational way.

So, if we start with Xeus, Thor, Woden, etc. we quickly run out of any meaningful supportive evidence. They don't even have an ancient book. But they do have a rich history on their side, so who's to say for sure, eh?

Next, Christianity. They have a badly written and rather mythical and contradictory book that has been re-authored many times to suit the fancy and objectives of the author of the day. Other than that, they have literally no other factual, validated evidence to speak of, and yet they then support their beliefs solely by pointing to their book and saying "It Is Written!"

Next; atheism, which takes a careful look at all the previous mythological attempts at supernatural belief systems, and at the total lack of proof for any of them.

Then they also look at the persistent and ongoing challenges to most all of the pronouncements of each of those supernatural mythologies, and they determine that not one of them offers anything valid other than some parables and allegories which might teach a person to lead a reasonably moral life. That is, f one doesn't take it too seriously, at which time they start killing members of the other religions, quickly proving theirs was also just as wanton and demented as all the other "theisms"....

Then: along comes science, which stands alone as having developed a relatively uncompromised and rigorously maintained system to minimize false conclusions and fakery. It has also been very successful at answering most of the questions put to it by simply curious but quite honest and diligent folks whose inquisitiveness was not actively suppressed by one of the religions. I does not, of course, have all the answers, because there will always be another new and as-yet unanswered question. It also does not shirk from revising older conclusions in light of newer, better or more comprehensive information, obtqained through ongoing inquiry, newer methods or better equipment.

Such lack of arrogance and pride is then frequently criticized by theists as some sort of "proof" that everything science concludes is transient and a fake. Now that's real arrogance, huh? But that continues to sell well with the non-questioning hoardes of acolyte followers.

To dismiss all of science's findings and efforts because it doesn't have all the answers, all at once? If we apply such strident logic and requirments to the bible, it can then only be used as toilet paper.

And yet this is the boringly predictable answer by most fundies to the challenges that scientific knowledge brings to the table. They all get that silliness from their minister or a Christian apologist website, and it's predictably re-parroted stuff.

It's all rather easily disproved by rational and logical argument, but that doesn't stop them from endlessly re-iterating it. Again and again, ad nauseum, for ever and ever, Ahmen.... It has a sort of pagan chant quality, come to think of it....

At least science takes the questions on honestly, and it builds upon its earlier successes and established fact-base. Also, when we point to the hundreds of science texts that do agree, for the most part, with each other, we get a much better sense of what's really going on, what's happened in our distant past, than if we cling to an increasingly outdated, outmoded and yet outspoken book of supernatural tales, most of which are also patently silly in light of modern understandings.

So, don't compare atheist's so-called "beliefs", which are as varied as the world we live in, to the structured, clingy and needy, but factually unsupported, belief systems of, for example, Christianity.

In essence, we came, we looked, we rejected all the silly stuff, and here we now are. Atheists! With, just as Dr. Dawkins says; no need to believe nor argue with relentlessly repetitive fundies.

He has, after all, said his piece many times, in so many ways. What didn't you theists understand about his point of view the first ten times? Just because now you'd like to throw tomatoes, which is NOT an accepted means of debate, well, sorry. Nope. Ain't gonna happen! When you totally lose a debate, you lose it. No rematches necessary.

Last edited by rifleman; 07-27-2009 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: typoz, clarifiactions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism