Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I don't believe that for a second. He's been happy to take all the money he's made off of his groupies buying his books. He recently spoke in my town, actually (for a fee, of course).
I have to call a slight BS. I live in the same city as you and admission to hear him speak was free, however I'm sure he was paid my a university or someone, put to go and see him speak was free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I have to call a slight BS. I live in the same city as you and admission to hear him speak was free, however I'm sure he was paid my a university or someone, put to go and see him speak was free.
ok.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Unhappy "Bbbbaaaa-aa-aa-aaa" "BLAM"

Quote:
Ray Comfort has challenged Dawkins to a debate. At this point Dawkins has tucked his tail between his legs and run home to mommy. He seems scared.

If Comfort is as much an idiot as you people seem to think he is it should be the easiest $20k Dawkins ever made.
What? Afraid? I looked at this silly Ben Stein video and I was instantly able to see the logical flaws that are peppered throughout it. Here's just a couple that apparently the theists missed. On purpose, one must assume:

1. Dawkins never said that he believes in an alien IDr. He said, right there on that video, that such an initiator MIGHT well be out there, as one logical explanation. He also never said that such a being came here and "insta-poofed" everything, as Creationists insist had to have happened. Dawkins' lectures (easily ffound on the 'net, if you'd care to hear the truth, but I know; it's terrifying...) make it excrutiatingly CLEAR to an open-minded and honest listener that, if it happened that way, this alien IDr only seeded our planet with the initial building locks of life (as in: amino acids or early DNA precursors). Nothing else. No interspace Ark, unloading 100 million animals. That's silly on it's face, just like Creationism's ideas.

On the other hand, subsequent Evolution of those possibly "planted" seed molecules is precisely the proven means by which our planet's organistic diversity occured.

And then, Stein stupidly conflates his quote-mined (you notice how they mute out the parts they don't want you to hear, and then bring up the volume following a careful editing process? Notice that?) bit about Dawkins apparently stating and accepting that there WAS an IDr, with his rejection of (with a suitable echo in the audio...) "God"?

That was never said, Ben. Whassa matter, you run out of good stuff?

Dawkins has already debated, and won, in several hundred live, face-to-face debates. He knows the VERY LIMITED number of arguments that even clever Creationists can possibly bring to such an event, and, from whenever I've seen him, he's the one that can terrify illogical kindrgarten thoughts.

If I were him now, I'd just laugh and take a pass. Unless, since they are so sure of themselves, they bet their entire proprty and financial assets of their church. Why not? If you're right, you're right, right?

Only thing is, this would have to be fairly adjudicated by an impartial outside group of 3 judges, none of them Christian, or having ever heard of Christianity, nor any of science's latest conculsuions. Just a presentation of Creationist theory, and their "proofs" [Why, because we're here! That's all the proof I need!] coupled with a presentation of how science asks and answers, plus, oh let's say, 3 examples of the disproving of some of those Xtian Creationist ideas, as well as irrefutible [to rationl men at least] proofs of various cornerstones of Evolution.

You notice how, in the old Westerns, the new gunfighter kid always shows up to challenge the top gun? And most often ends up dead. But even if he wins, it's temporary, because eventually along comes another and puts him down.

And besides, if our guy in the white hat, Dawkins, were to go to a streetfight against yet another interloping "Xtian-Kid" gun for hire, Dawkins would whip out that which science hath brought him: to wit: a heat-seaking LAWS rocket, backed up with an electrically spun laser-sighted GE Mini-Gatling gun (See the original "Predator" movie).

By comparison, using a weapon of equivalent metaphorical modernity as Creationism, our cross-earing all-in-black Christian gun-slinger would only have a single-shot smooth-bore and well rusted muzzle loader. And his powder would probably be wet....

Hardly a fair fight, wouldn't you agree? It's not ethical so slay unprepared, ill-defended bleeting sheeple...

Last edited by rifleman; 04-07-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-07-2009, 11:55 AM

your boy Richie looked stupid in Expelled...and was ticked off because of it, from what I heard.

I'm guessing he doesn't want the same happening again, so that's why he's ducking Comfort.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Quote:
your boy Richie looked stupid in Expelled...and was ticked off because of it, from what I heard.

I'm guessing he doesn't want the same happening again, so that's why he's ducking Comfort.

You're right. Deep down, Dawkins knows that all biological creatures are not the products of evolutionary process, but rather came about by dirt + magic.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:26 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

Expelled has to be the most dishonest and ill informed movie I ever saw...What a lot of trash, and that is being polite.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,599 times
Quote:

What exactly made him "look stupid"?

Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
Dawkins never said that he believes in an alien IDr. He said, right there on that video, that such an initiator MIGHT well be out there, as one logical explanation.
More precisely, he spoke of panspermia as the only "gap" left where something akin to Intelligent Design might fit - and then he pointed out that the aliens responsible would themselves have to be the product of some form of evolution, to clear any possible confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich
Let's recap the thread, shall we?

Richard Dawkins doesn't want to debate with Ray Comfort. Why?

1. Because he's a greedy bastard, and 20k (or 40k, I heard this was the latest offer) is not enough to finance his luxurious life-style.
Couter-point: Dawkins himself wouldn't receive one cent of the money, it would go to a charitable organisation.

2. Because he's terrified of the banana man and his mighty rhetoric.
Counter-point: Dawkins frequently and publicly debates with various religious apologetics. One could claim that Ray Comfort is much more frightening, but such a claim must be supported by evidence.

3. Because Dawkins, by principle, never debates with creationists, as he realizes that would give them a form of credibility. Better to make it clear to the public that it is not science and that there is no controversy about evolution in the scientific community. Source: Dawkins himself (in The God Delusion at least).
Couter-point... I'm now leaving the stage to my partner kdbrich.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
What exactly made him "look stupid"?

you haven't really watched it, have you?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,599 times
Quote:
you haven't really watched it, have you?
I have watched it, I'm asking why you think he looked stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism