Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,302,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Too long, too ranty, too preachy. Did not read.
THat's funny, you didn't read but you call it preachy. I'm not preaching, just an answer to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,933 times
Shawn, one more time-
Why don't we have just one forum, the R&P forum?
Why do we have separate forums for A&A's and christians?

Saying it is because different people have different beliefs is stating the obvious. Think about it, Shawn. Why do we have separate forums?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
The reason I didn't ask the question in the christian forum is because I believe every one of the answers would be "Well, of course God talks to people". I've been told, "If you aren't hearing him, you aren't opening yourself up to him", and things of that nature. Just like most of the atheists say "They're crazy", I was wondering if atheists had experienced this, and I thought agnostics would answer with something besides that pat answer.

It's ridiculous that we can't discuss something without it resorting to name calling, hostility, and arguing. I would think that we are all adults here, and can all learn something from each other.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Shawn, one more time-
Why don't we have just one forum, the R&P forum?
Why do we have separate forums for A&A's and christians?

Saying it is because different people have different beliefs is stating the obvious. Think about it, Shawn. Why do we have separate forums?

I think this is a great idea. I love to hear opposing views. I'm sure there are quite a few confused people, like myself. I wish all could discuss things without it turning into a shouting match, and without all of the hostility.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:59 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
I don't know...ok cliche agnostic answer....but I do know god (whatever it is) would get a lot farther is it would just come and say in a clear and obvious way, "Ok...here's the story." It would get a lot more followers that way.

It only talks to its people? Well, aren't we all supposedly children of god? What good father or mother won't talk to their children just because they don't agree with them. This is all part of religion that makes NO sense. Awaiting the religious cliche of "If you aren't hearing him, you aren't opening yourself up to him" (thanks for the copy and paste Jess).

Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
The reason I didn't ask the question in the christian forum is because I believe every one of the answers would be "Well, of course God talks to people". I've been told, "If you aren't hearing him, you aren't opening yourself up to him", and things of that nature. Just like most of the atheists say "They're crazy", I was wondering if atheists had experienced this, and I thought agnostics would answer with something besides that pat answer.

It's ridiculous that we can't discuss something without it resorting to name calling, hostility, and arguing. I would think that we are all adults here, and can all learn something from each other.
So ask it out in the R&P forum, not here. That's what that forum is for!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,302,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I think this is a great idea. I love to hear opposing views. I'm sure there are quite a few confused people, like myself. I wish all could discuss things without it turning into a shouting match, and without all of the hostility.
Yea, know finally someone with since. I'm not here to convince you of anything and I'm sure your not trying to convince me of anything either.

I don't think that you are confused, you have every right to believe what you believe.

I simply answered a question that you asked and for some reason certain people have a problem with that. But I see it as just having a problem with someones view that is different.

Both parties can have a debate or answer a question without it turning into hostility, but both have to respect the others view. But for some reason some are having a hard time with that.

Anyway, just like you, I wish people could just learn to have a conversation or debate with someone who thinks differently than them.

That is what living in this world is all about, talking with people that are different from us.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 AM

285 posts, read 616,148 times
Quote:
If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.
Thomas Szasz

Sez it all...

Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,969,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
Thomas Szasz

Sez it all...
Of course you only believe that, because you don't believe in the power of God.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Of course you only believe that, because you don't believe in the power of God.
There are people who believe in God but don't think that God talks to humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism