Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Of course you only believe that, because you don't believe in the power of God.
God has no power, only claims to have power. He can't even speak up for himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
There are people who believe in God but don't think that God talks to humans.
Well the God of the Bible did, so I must assume those people you speak of, are not believers in the God of the Bible.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
God has no power, only claims to have power. He can't even speak up for himself.
Well the God of the Bible revealed His plan for the future of the world. That plan is found in the prophecies of the Bible. And it appers those prophecies are true. So I believe you would be in error when you state God cannot speak for Himself. The fact is, He already has. And you appear to lack the knowledge to understand this.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Well the God of the Bible revealed His plan for the future of the world. That plan is found in the prophecies of the Bible. And it appers those prophecies are true. So I believe you would be in error when you state God cannot speak for Himself. The fact is, He already has. And you appear to lack the knowledge to understand this.
God himself didn't even know the world or universe he "created". Maybe he has amnesia.
You don't state any facts. Where is objective documented proof that god has spoken?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I simply answered a question that you asked and for some reason certain people have a problem with that. But I see it as just having a problem with someones view that is different.
It's because of where it's being asked. Topics that assume a deity exists don't belong in the A&A forum, they belong either in the R&P forum or the Christianity forum.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
May I remind you of the forum you're in, and that you're not supposed to proselytize here? Please take your preaching elsewhere.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Well the God of the Bible did, so I must assume those people you speak of, are not believers in the God of the Bible.
So does Allah...so did Zeus...so did Ammon Ra...so did just about every other "god" out there. And the followers of those gods believed with all their heart that their gods spoke to them. What is your point?

You know your "God of the Bible" is/was nothing new. Prayer to Ammon-Ra:
Ammon-Ra who hears the prayer, who comes at the cry of the poor and distressed...Beware of him! Repeat him to son and daughter, to great and small; relate him to generations of generations who have not yet come into being; relate him to fishes in the deep, to birds in heaven; repeat him to him who does not know him and to him who knows him...Though it may be that the servant is normal in doing wrong, yet the Lord is normal in being merciful. The Lord of Thebes does not spend an entire day angry. As for his anger - in the completion of a moment there is no remnant..As thy Ka (Pharaoh) endures! thou wilt be merciful!"
In the Leydon hymns Amun, Ptha and Ra are regarded as a trinity who are distinct gods but with unity in plurality. "The three gods are one yet the Egyptian elsewhere insists on the separate identity of each of the three".

Sound familiar Father, Son and Holy Ghost? Now go talk about your God of the Bible and your resurrected god-man Jesus (Osiris) to others who care. We don't here.

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-21-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 05:54 PM

285 posts, read 616,085 times
Quote:
Dear sweet baby Jesu...Mister, have you ever actually READ your bible? And I mean ALL of it, not just those parts that are pleasing to you or that your most holy reverend fella tells you to read? What about the Apochrypha? Stretched your mind by reading these books? Also supposedly "inspired?" Did your god not give you a brain? If he did, I bet he wants you to use it. What YOU apparently "don't get" is that the christian bible is a collection of legend, mythology, practices and prayers collected over a very long period of time.

And if that makes it holy or godly or true to you, please do not insist that the rest of us suspend reason and accept that people lived to be 900 plus years old, that trees and plants came before sunlight (yes, it does say that in Genesis), talking donkeys or grown men living in the gut of a whale for 3 days. (That's not a miracle...that's just sick).

As many biblical prophecies as you can point to as having already come true, there is one that hasn't. And the "fulfilled" prophecies are frequenly debatable, both historically and scientifically. And, as for your "end times prophecies" and Revelations, you'll excuse me if I forebear from buying a ticket for that particular little amusement park ride. If that's what the "loving and forgiving" god has planned, then what would a mean, jealous and vengeful god plan? Oh wait, I forgot.....

............that's your biblical god too.

One more point...speaking thru others is not in actual fact...

Quote:
I believe you would be in error when you state God cannot speak for Himself.

.....speaking for yourself.

I know I'm butting my head on the wall "faith" again but it just gets so tiresome finding it on the A&A forum

Old 04-23-2009, 01:46 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
I kinda think its there own common sense or little voice or intuition...whatever and they mistake it for something its not. Most people feel awkward around someone who claims this, so I'm not really sure why people claim to have talked to a God if they know they are gonna be laughed at the moment they are out of the room.

Many of us have issues we think about and kinda come up with solutions on our own, but we know its US that came up with the idea. We may talk it out loud to ourselves in the car where no one can hear us, or at home, but just because you find the solution doesn't mean it was Professor X transmitting the message to you telepathically OR some mystical god. It was you and you alone.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I know of a few people who say God has "spoken" to them. These aren't religious fanatics, nothing like that. They say he "spoke" to them, and whatever he said came true. They now say there's no doubt that there is a God, that theres no mistaking that it was him. What do you think about this? These are perfectly sane people.
There are doctors and drugs that can help people who are hearing voices. I would suggest both to any friend of mine who professed being spoken to by any god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism