Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Even in larger organisms? wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 05:02 PM

42 posts, read 174,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i am impressed by your blanket guarantee and mark twain's declaration of utter fearlessness of death.
i must say death is the only place where we will all be on the same page and feel the same gut wrenching sense of failure and fear. have seen it many times.
We should all be on the same page as far as how a death with no afterlife would feel like. But that includes understanding that there's nothing to be afraid of. Death brings with it zero consequences. It's the time we've wasted worrying about death that's the real tragedy.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:19 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
I don't fear death really, I just like life a lot. I like my family, and all the fun I have.

I do fear regret. I fear being old, looking back on my life, and feeling like I wasted it. Like I was bored, and I was boring, and that my life was horribly average. I fear looking back on my life and thinking, "man I wish I would have went for it, instead of playing it safe." I don't want to go to my death "with a song still in my heart", as per Walden's Pond.

That, to a large degree, is why I joined the Marine Corps when I was young. It's also why I live on a small island in the pacific ocean right now. And once my family and I have enough of our experience here, we'll move on. I'm not going to get comfortable and play it safe living a life that's just about mowing the lawn on the weekends, taking 2 weeks vacation every year, and trying to get as many square feet out of my house as I can afford.

I fear wasting my time while I'm alive more than I fear death.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Even in larger organisms? wow.
Hey, it's your theory. You are the one that it needs to make sense to.

In micro-organisms, your soul is the kreb's cycle.

More complex organisms are just cells stacked together in ways that have various different attributes.

So does each living cell in a macro-organism have it's own soul, or is it the sum of the cells that has the soul?

And why do you believe any of that is true?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I don't fear death really, I just like life a lot. I like my family, and all the fun I have.

I do fear regret. I fear being old, looking back on my life, and feeling like I wasted it. Like I was bored, and I was boring, and that my life was horribly average. I fear looking back on my life and thinking, "man I wish I would have went for it, instead of playing it safe." I don't want to go to my death "with a song still in my heart", as per Walden's Pond.

That, to a large degree, is why I joined the Marine Corps when I was young. It's also why I live on a small island in the pacific ocean right now. And once my family and I have enough of our experience here, we'll move on. I'm not going to get comfortable and play it safe living a life that's just about mowing the lawn on the weekends, taking 2 weeks vacation every year, and trying to get as many square feet out of my house as I can afford.

I fear wasting my time while I'm alive more than I fear death.
if you are a marine and have no fear of death
then you are way past my dad a guadacanal marine
its all he saw or thought seeing his dead friends affected him forever.
i think fear is useful it motivates works for me worked for dad.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 PM

Just so there's no confusion:
(1) I was in the Marines 20 years ago, (man, how time flies!)

and,

(2) I don't fear death in the abstract. I'm sure I would be afraid if someone was trying to kill me though- If you get that distinction.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Hey, it's your theory. You are the one that it needs to make sense to.

In micro-organisms, your soul is the kreb's cycle.

More complex organisms are just cells stacked together in ways that have various different attributes.

So does each living cell in a macro-organism have it's own soul, or is it the sum of the cells that has the soul?

And why do you believe any of that is true?
I suppose the soul belongs to the entire organism--I would suppose it isn't divisible.

And the reason I believe it's true is that it's what separates us from things that never had life, and things that once lived, but live no longer. Some might call it prana, or chi, or ki...all the same, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:45 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid EH View Post
And I have a concrete reason for saying that! I'm an agnostic, so I wouldn't say I "know" something unless I really meant it. And the truth is very reassuring. I think if everyone thought the same way, then no atheist or agnostic would be scared of death.

Here's what I mean:

If we only have one life to live, then death would mean total non-existence forever, right? Well doesn't the same apply to the period of time before were born? We didn't exist then, either. So we've actually already been dead for billions of years, and not once during that time did we ever feel bad (or even bored)

Here's a quote from Mark Twain: "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

And the more you think back on your experience of pre-birth, the more clear it becomes that a death with no afterlife ought to be the least of our worries. Not only did you never suffer, but you never even wished you were alive! Dead people never feel bad for themselves, and they're never jealous of the living. We won't feel anything at all, obviously. But doesn't that mean we have nothing to fear?

This topic is actually a brief summary of an article I posted on my website. I have a lot more to say on this (more than I can fit in one post). If you're interested, here's the link: I Know What It's Like To Be Dead (And So Do You) (http://www.kideh.com/article1.html - broken link)
My point is, that we really shouldn't be afraid of death at all. If you're not convinced, then read my article! I think I really have a positive, and persuasive message.

Let me know if I've said something you don't agree with. I've thought this through, and I guarantee you that I can defend my position.
Well you might want to watch this video about an Atheist who died, and his experience was so fearful, he became a Christian. Consider link below.
I'm sure this Atheist thought he could defend his position as well.

Video - Atheist Dies, Goes To Hell, Comes Back A Christian - tangle.com (http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?viewkey=0b118fbf9cbc5e061cc0 - broken link)

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM

133 posts, read 276,211 times
Quote:

When you die you'll cease to exist, so you won't ever be able to look back and regret it. So what's the worry?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post
When you die you'll cease to exist, so you won't ever be able to look back and regret it. So what's the worry?
Well on April 24,1969 I got caught on a 7,400 volt eletrical line, and I recall while I was laying on the ground I was able to see things without the use of my physical eyes. So it appears to me, there is something other than our physical body that gives us this ability. And because I believe the Bible is true, my experience would help to confirm that life does not end when are physical body nolonger funtions. And if that part of the Bible is true, then I do believe the part of Hell would be equally true. And if that is the case, then for many people who have dismissed the Bible, there would be a number of reasons to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism