Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I didn't know that. How sad. Perhaps the problem is ANY organization that announces it is on the high moral ground. ...after all, would you buy a car from "Honest Abe Car Sales?"
Yes, so true.. I don't know any organization that lives in a Glass House. So don't throw 4 stones, you may get 8 stones thrown back at you and/or your organization. Don't judge the faith of most, due to the personal failure(s) of a few within the faith , speaking in general "ofcourse".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Who drinks the blood and eats babies? The Warlocks or the Christians.

ABC News
Good grief....That is horrible.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:22 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Who drinks the blood and eats babies? The Warlocks or the Christians.

ABC News
better no more hoodwinks there.

better of the time it may take to heal (or is this word no longer appropriate?)

Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,470 times
Of course when you and I watch that news clip we see this as clearly a scam for money.
And we really can’t blame the poor people that fall for it since they are raised in a society that believe devils can possess living organisms.
But it is so very sad that those parents would think that there children are possessed.

You would think that in the more modern nations that that sort of thing would not be around anywhere.
But some in our more educated countries still believe in possession or that a rainbow is put in the sky as a sign from some god.

Even with time and greater education I’m afraid we will still have those that believe in such nonsense.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,292 times
Quote:
Of course when you and I watch that news clip we see this as clearly a scam for money.
And we really can’t blame the poor people that fall for it since they are raised in a society that believe devils can possess living organisms.
But it is so very sad that those parents would think that there children are possessed.

You would think that in the more modern nations that that sort of thing would not be around anywhere.
But some in our more educated countries still believe in possession or that a rainbow is put in the sky as a sign from some god.

Even with time and greater education I’m afraid we will still have those that believe in such nonsense.
Don't religious leaders have some responsibility to stop the nonsense?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,354,785 times
Here is the link to today’s movements in the catholic church’s Irish issue. It looks like the cost is going to be over a billion dollars, and will be going to “thousands” of abused people.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE54P4GP20090527

Old 05-29-2009, 04:45 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,354,785 times
This link is on the other forum but I wanted to make sure those of us who spend most of our time on the A&A forum had a chance to see it also. A moving speech from one who was abused. It will stop you in your tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jHqndf9Kx4 link on Irish abuse issue.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
This link is on the other forum but I wanted to make sure those of us who spend most of our time on the A&A forum had a chance to see it also. A moving speech from one who was abused. It will stop you in your tracks.

]
The Catholic Church claims that it has a responsibility to lead people to holiness and God. (Never mind my personal religious beliefs--they are irrelevant to this discussion.) The Catholic Church also claims that the only way to holinesss is through the Catholic Church and its relationship with Jesus Christ.

It seems that the Catholic Church has an embedded culture of child abuse, in several different forms. An embedded culture does not start overnight--so this has been going on for generations.

I wonder how many people the Catholic Church drove away from holiness and God with their acceptance of abuse. I am wondering how the Catholic Church manages to justify their systemic acceptance of this through the reassignment of priests, when they know full well, that many of the abused children will grow up to hate and fear the church.

I wonder if anyone in "power" in the Catholic Church even cares.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,647 times
please apply your statements to 80% of all organized groups---why focus on one organized group--there are so many others out there stating their religious group is the right one!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
please apply your statements to 80% of all organized groups---why focus on one organized group--there are so many others out there stating their religious group is the right one!
The focus is on the Catholic Church in this instance because of the systemic child abuse within their organization AND their repeated attempts to hand ball, ignore and deny responsiblity.

The current discussion is based on the situation in Ireland, where a greater percentage of the citizens are Catholic.

People HAVE applied the same statements to other organizations in this thread BUT the purpose of this thread is to discuss the very real, AND very WRONG incidences of child abuse perpertrated by clergy of the Catholic church and the subsequent actions of the church hierachy as is currently playing out in Ireland.

Don't worry we'll get to Boy Scout Leaders and school teachers and swimming coaches and clergy from other churches etc., at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism