Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times

Advertisements

This one caught me off guard. Now it seems the pope is looking for the Antichrist to be part of the green movement. I wonder what mileage the pope mobile get? It must be low if he now sees the like of Green Peace as a threat.
I guess a pacifist would not mesh well with the Catholics past methods of conversion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article1459003.ece

“An arch-conservative cardinal chosen by the Pope to deliver this year’s Lenten meditations to the Vatican hierarchy has caused consternation by giving warning of an Antichrist who is “a pacifist, ecologist and ecumenist”.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
wow.

religious people are hilarious.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Cardinal Biffi said that Christianity stood for “absolute values, such as goodness, truth, beauty”. If “relative values” such as “solidarity, love of peace and respect for nature” became absolute, they would encourage “idolatry” and “put obstacles in the way of salvation”.
Good to know beauty is an absolute value. Truth and goodness, too (by which I assume he means "whatever I consider good", as is customary). But pacifists will burn in Hell.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,071 times
This makes the Church look like idiots, what in the world are they thinking? This can't be true, look at the organizational suspect list, I know it's on TIMES but I think this is ridiculous, I don't see this anywhere in Catholic News.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
This makes the Church look like idiots, what in the world are they thinking? This can't be true, look at the organizational suspect list, I know it's on TIMES but I think this is ridiculous, I don't see this anywhere in Catholic News.
Sorry
Catholic News Service STORY: Cardinal: Antichrist tempts Christians to place dialogue above Jesus

Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
This one caught me off guard. Now it seems the pope is looking for the Antichrist to be part of the green movement. I wonder what mileage the pope mobile get? It must be low if he now sees the like of Green Peace as a threat.
I guess a pacifist would not mesh well with the Catholics past methods of conversion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article1459003.ece

“An arch-conservative cardinal chosen by the Pope to deliver this year’s Lenten meditations to the Vatican hierarchy has caused consternation by giving warning of an Antichrist who is “a pacifist, ecologist and ecumenist”.”

If you think about it, a "love for the mother" usually goes hand in hand with a view of nature as god. But then, most hunters and fishermen also think highly of protecting the environment as they have a vested interest in doing so.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich
If you think about it, a "love for the mother" usually goes hand in hand with a view of nature as god.But then, most hunters and fishermen also think highly of protecting the environment as they have a vested interest in doing so.
In the primitive mind, maybe. But in this day and age, I think you'll find that the majority of ecologists aren't mystical Gaia-worshipers. (And we also have a vested interest in protecting the environment, but that's another subject.)

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM

857 posts, read 1,423,159 times
Someone really needs to put catholicism out of its misery. How can anyone take this man seriously?

Cardinal Biffi said that Christianity stood for “absolute values, such as goodness, truth, beauty”. If “relative values” such as “solidarity, love of peace and respect for nature” became absolute, they would encourage “idolatry” and “put obstacles in the way of salvation”.

Can someone explain to me how peace and respect for nature would not qualify as goodness?? If we could be living peacefully with each other and being in harmony with nature we would no longer need to worry about salvation, we'd already be there. And thats what the catholics fear, a people not needing old men in pajamas preaching that somehow they know the way to something they have never been to.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
In the primitive mind, maybe. But in this day and age, I think you'll find that the majority of ecologists aren't mystical Gaia-worshipers. (And we also have a vested interest in protecting the environment, but that's another subject.)

And I don't think he was equating most ecologists with an anti-christ or gaia-worshiper.

I don't know...I"m not catholic, and he definitely does not speak for me...but I think if you're into the sort of thing of trying to narrow down a people-group that the anti-christ would come from, he makes a decent point.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich
I don't know...I"m not catholic, and he definitely does not speak for me...but I think if you're into the sort of thing of trying to narrow down a people-group that the anti-christ would come from, he makes a decent point.
You know better than me. What's supposed to be the purpose of the anti-Christ on Earth? If He wanted to cause a world war, for example, taking control of radical religious people with access to weapons of mass destruction might be a better plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism