Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:22 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,484 times

Advertisements

.....situations where people around you are praying?

I recently attended my husband's daughter's wedding. At the end of the ceremony, the minister asked everybody to bow their heads while he said (a very long) prayer. I did not bow my head (I never do in these types of situations). Probably nobody noticed, but I wouldn't have cared if they had.

I know some atheists, out of respect, will bow their heads just to go along. But I find that I just can't do this. I find prayer to be useless, and I don't want to be fake.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post

I recently attended my husband's daughter's wedding. At the end of the ceremony, the minister asked everybody to bow their heads while he said (a very long) prayer. I did not bow my head (I never do in these types of situations). Probably nobody noticed, but I wouldn't have cared if they had.

I know some atheists, out of respect, will bow their heads just to go along. But I find that I just can't do this. I find prayer to be useless, and I don't want to be fake.

What do you all think?
I agree with you. I will stand and be quite, but will not bow my head or recite the mythical pledges.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
Me too. I just sit or stand there quiet and look around. I figure anyone else doing that doesn't believe in any of it either.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:11 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,011 times
Ditto.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,937 times
I tend to stand and look low, but not necessarily "down". Most times I can get away with not even doing that, as it's just assumed that I won't be participating and am keeping an 'eye' on the mini-heathens

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
I believe this may be a unanimous decision, unless, of course, a christer steps in.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,959 times
I start whistling

Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
If someone is praying I just stand still but do not bow or close my eyes. It would be hypocritical .

I respect people's belief and will be respectful in a church setting, so I expect the same modicum of courtesy in response and for Christians not to have a hissy fit at my candour.

I am always surprised how many atheists pretend to have religion and have church weddings , church funerals or have their kids christened. What is that all about. I have long held the view that actually Atheists/Agnostics are the most common people in our society but still so many cling to appearances and tradition. If everyone was truly honest I genuinely believe most Christians would be in a minority.

Christmas "Christians" are the most common by far in my opinion, people with no faith but a great fear to disturb social order and break tradition.
I have seen people I know in Church services ( weddings, christenings, funerals ) who actually bow their head and even say amen when I know perfectly well that they like me are atheists. That is just bizarre....

Churches are usually places with great architecture and history so I just let my eye rove on architectural details or think of my shopping list, whatever makes the time pass.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
It would depend on the situation for me. My Mother and Step Father are very religious and they always say grace at a meal. I do bow my head simply as a gesture of respect for them. I feel it would be rude and hurtful if my body language appeared to be condescending. If there was some sort of a public prayer at some kind of event with a bunch of strangers I would not bow my head or pretend to be communicating with a God I don't even think exists.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM

242 posts, read 735,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post

What do you all think?
If I am with family or friends I bow out of respect and just deal with it. For them, not for the religion. I might even say amen, to be respectful and that is all.

It is not fake to show respect for family, especially in public, it is scincere.
You can rag on them afterwards if you like though..lol

My friend got married a few years back. The priest went on a sermon about 'how ego gets in the way'...but instead of using the word 'ego' he said 'eggo' (like the waffle).

Funniest thing I ever sniclered through in my life...even the married couple was snickering (you could see them trying not to be obvious about it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism