Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:42 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,693 times

Advertisements

I am extremely offended when some of these chr**ter fanatics get on here talking about how women are to be subjected to men and should be silent at church. What is going to be done about that?

Just reading that statement makes me sound like a silly little whine bag! So every time a fundy whines about being offended we A/A's get infractions but they are free to post whatever they want because their view is based on their religion and ours is not?

THIS IS UNAMERICAN!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,693 times
Default What about when one Chr**ster offends another?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
The concept of the Trinity is a myth. God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus are not all one in the same.

God is our Heavenly Father.

The Holy Spirit is a part of God's spirit, also called His messenger, that brings to us His Divine Love when we seek for it with soul longings.

Jesus' soul was created in such a way that it would have the soul longings to obtain this Divine Love. And at some point, he became a divine man... and this means he is at-one with God, in his attributes of love, bliss, peace, forebearance, tolerance, patience, etc.

Adam and Eve were given the opportunity to seek for and obtain this Divine Love, but they rejected it, and so the privilege to receive it was removed from mankind, until the birth of Jesus.

Believing in the Trinity as being one in the same is a false belief.

Common sense tells you that Jesus always refers in the Bible to my Father. So, therefore, he is talking about his Father, who is also our Father. And, if it is our desire to do so, we may also become divine while we are alive on this planet exactly the same way Jesus did it. If we choose not to follow the same path here, there is an opportunity to do it in the next world. But keep in mind, at some point, this privilege will be withdrawn, just as it was with Adam and Eve.

I just pulled this from a new thread in thr R & P forum....the first statement here can be very offensive to trinity believers! We can't have that now can we?! I think these same rules need to be slapped on the UR's and the UT's and the Trinitarians and Monotheists! They just can't go around offending one another on CD!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:54 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,075 times
Wow!

This is in great part much of what I had to deal with here on City Data. It has been a roller coaster these past two years, to say the least but I think that I am a little better understood today than just a few weeks ago.

That being said, it's been a while now that I have been grumbling about this under my breath. I do NOT insult or attack people personally. I hate to do it and I hate to see it, however, I have always maintained that it is a slippery slope when "beliefs" become sacrosanct. I've believed that if a belief is held, maintained and broadcasted publicly, then it can be shot down or upheld publicly. Yes, a person has EVERY right to hold it and preach it and I should respect his or her RIGHT to hold it but I don't have to respect the belief if my opinion differs. Fair?

I admit that I go to the Christianity forum to spread the unthinkable - critical thinking . I also admit my use of sarcasm to prove or make my points but this does not fly too well over there either so I get into trouble, however, at no point do I insult or attack any of these virtual folks who I don't know from Adam. It is claimed I offend their beliefs, yes, their beliefs which is clearly an extension of them. Over there I guess I am seen as the 'Antlered Chewbaca" of that forum, (did I do that right?)

Oh well, this thread has been quite entertaining.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I just pulled this from a new thread in thr R & P forum....the first statement here can be very offensive to trinity believers! We can't have that now can we?! I think these same rules need to be slapped on the UR's and the UT's and the Trinitarians and Monotheists! They just can't go around offending one another on CD!
In the R&P forum people of any world view are free to talk about their beliefs as long as the TOS are followed..Posters however are not free to enter the Atheist forum to talk about their beliefs..What I am saying is that even in the other two forums where people may discuss/debate/give an opinion on their belief they are not free to make fun of/insult/attack one another because of their differences..They are not free to start a thread with the intention of insulting ,humiliating, flaming, baiting, name calling or making fun of someone's belief..Those are edited or deleted..or closed..once again the report system should be used..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-28-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
In the R&P forum people of any world view are free to talk about their beliefs as long as the TOS are followed..Posters however are not free to enter the Atheist forum to talk about their beliefs..What I am saying is that even in the other two forums where people may discuss/debate/give an opinion on their belief they are not free to make fun of/insult/attack one another because of their differences..They are not free to start a thread with the intention of insulting ,humiliating, flaming, baiting, name calling or making fun of someone's belief..Those are edited or deleted..or closed..once again the report system should be used..
Yet Atheist and Agnostics are not allowed to speak their minds in the A&A forum as christians do in their forum. I hope you see the injustice and prejudice in what you are trying to do under the clock of being political correct, or not offensive. This whole push for censorship is offensive to most of the Atheist and Agnostics, and I am sure after reading the post you are aware of how offensive your mandate sounds and is. It is a poor decision, and will only cause more tension between the religious and non religious rather than reduced conflicts. It reminds me of the days when there was an obviously biased mod on the A&A forum. I hope you and June will reconsider your goal to make a PC forum. It will accomplish nothing, and because many of the Atheist see it as another form of prejudice it will cause a greater division and more hostility than we already have.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:48 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
You didn't read very well,as it will be implemented on all three Forums Read post #1 over again
Please PAY ATTENTION! Exactly WHERE was it posted? Only in the A&A forum. Don't tell me that only the Atheists have not been singled out for special censorship, addressed specifically at Atheists, and censoring us in all the threads.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 11-28-2009 at 09:27 AM..

Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
I can see that feeling are running pretty high. However, I'll just put in my 2nd 2cnt worth

A forum is not a democracy. It is someone's property and being allowed topost there is like being allowed to use someone's house. You follow their rules.

Moderating must be a time-consuming, thankless and unpaid (so far as I know) job and I for one would not want to make life any tougher for them than it is.

I relish being able to demolish illogical arguments without the need to use deprecating titles. On the other hand, one particular attempt to bring the moderators down on my head for the unforgivable crime of pointing out a poorly -founded, illogical and uttely dishonest argument got no change for which I give the ol' knuckle 'Respec' man'.

I believe that, if we make efforts to use sound refutation to demolish the various manifestations of the unreasonable worldview, rather than demeaning nomenclature, the mods will give us baby - eating godless bastards a fair wind.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:12 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
They are over here because any cd member is welcome in any forum..The
Atheist forum has a sticky that says no proselythizing..It is monitored pretty well,
Yes they are free to go into any forum, as apparently there are no private forums I am aware of (but I bet there is one for moderators)

BUT this site wouldn't be worth the electrons consumed to view it IF every thread and idea is so sniffled that everyone can visit every forum without the danger of being offended.

I see proselytizing by means of censorship on the horizon

Nor is their a doubt in my mind the the censorship will not be "monitored pretty well"

We are witness to a process used throughout history to stifle the freedom to express one's beliefs and ideas, and it is ugly then and now.
  • Those with power don't like what is being said, as it is counter to their beliefs but are powerless to silence the atheists heathens because the rules are being followed.
  • Change the rules.
  • Use the new rules silence those that you disagree with.
Even men of god raise some very poignant concerns;
Quote:
Pastor Martin Niemoller (1892-1984)
“In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up.”
The topic of the rule change is atheists vs. christian, but it goes well beyond that to ideas vs. censorship

Last edited by Asheville Native; 11-28-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,075 times
Oh yes, June and Miss Blue do a fine job or as well as it could be done in such a passionate arena. I can bet you that things do not get as heated in the Arkansas forum. lol....As with poliTRICKS, we know religion is another hot button subject and as such, hard to moderate. I just hope that this thread produces some positive results that can make everyone happy. I am also glad to see it because it gives a platform for those of us on the "dark side" to finally say how we feel.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes they are free to go into any forum, as apparently there are no private forums I am aware of (but I bet there is one for moderators)

BUT this site wouldn't be worth the electrons consumed to view it IF every thread and idea is so sniffled that everyone can visit every forum without the danger of being offended.

I see proselytizing by means of censorship on the horizon

Nor is their a doubt in my mind the the censorship will not be "monitored pretty well"

We are witness to a process used throughout history to stifle the freedom to express one's beliefs and ideas, and it is ugly then and now.
  • You don't like what is being said, as it is counter to your beliefs but are powerless to silence the atheists heathens because the rules are being followed.
  • Change the rules.
  • Use the new rules silence those that you disagree with.
Even men of god raise some very poignant concerns;

The topic of the rule change is atheists vs. christian, but it goes well beyond that to ideas vs. censorship
I would give you a rep but it would not let me, great post, and also a good comparison to the situation at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism