Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:33 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times

Advertisements

What the over-broad new rule amounts to is that we must treat religiuos concepts with the same reverence that believers do. Accordingly, even if we are not insulting a person, the fact that we are not treating their ideas with respect is veiwed as a violation of the TOS.

That's why a word like "Skydaddy" is banned even though it in no way implies anything about the person you are debating with. It's simply that we atheist may no longer take the Lords name in vain because must now treat religiuos precepts as sacred in order to avoid offending Christians.

In the end, I guess I am forced to agree with Scarmig and Insane here. Even though I would prefer free speech, in reality even if the game is fixed, I would rather Christians be able to speak freely. I would give them the right to treat my ideas with as little reverence as they wish, even though I know I won't be granted the same privilage.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:52 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I think my biggest problem is that we're the only ones subject to this. I still have yet to see anything on the other religion related forums pertaining to this. Also, will logical answers decrying their belief as something that we feel is imaginary be subject to these "boo hoo name calling" policies? Because it appears they can call us what they want and if they have "biblical back up" it will slide.

THAT'S the problem, the fact that we seemingly can't attack a belief because it might hurt someone's feelings, even though we don't think it's the truth.
I once started a thread stating that the bible says (twice) atheists are "fools" for saying there is no god. I then asked, what if atheists returned the compliment for believing in what they know is nothing more than wishful thinking? The Christian, whether he says it or not, sits back smugly believing his scripture to be true in its assessment of those who do not believe in HIS god. The atheist???

I'm not as concerned with what the mods may do within their best judgement, but rather, with the double-standard of the Christians when they start bellyaching about folks questioning their beliefs.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:56 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
Did anyone truly believe the questions would be answered? They weren't before the thread was locked (big surprise!) so why would they address valid, politely presented questions now?

Old 11-28-2009, 05:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Before this gets closed, i'd just like to know when we'll be seeing the gigantic announcement on the other two religion related forums? It's a legitimate question!
I second that, they cannot pretend they are being fair when their bias against the non believers is so blatantly obvious.

I will be watching, but I'm not foolish enough to hold my breath.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl
Quote:
THAT'S the problem, the fact that we seemingly can't attack a belief because it might hurt someone's feelings, even though we don't think it's the truth.
Why are some atheists here behaving more and more like Christians; insisting that only they hold the gospel therefore everyone should be like them?
Or at least agree with them.

FYI haven't you guys realised yet that you can't attack a belief, simply because people will end up believing whatever it is they want to believe?

Besidez you can already 'insult' others with the simple act of disagreeing with them.
Which makes whatever a person believes to be the truth completely irrelevant.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:43 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl Why are some atheists here behaving more and more like Christians; insisting that only they hold the gospel therefore everyone should be like them?
Or at least agree with them.

FYI haven't you guys realised yet that you can't attack a belief, simply because people will end up believing whatever it is they want to believe?

Besidez you can already 'insult' others with the simple act of disagreeing with them.
Which makes whatever a person believes to be the truth completely irrelevant.
So according to you we can't have a dissenting opinion on anything at all. Is this correct?

Please note the bolded. I think you "God-loving Christians" (is this proper?) need to realize that people will end up believing whatever they want to believe, instead of telling us heathens that we're all going to hell to burn for our non-belief.

Also, we're not saying that what we know is the truth and that everyone should be like us. It's more a matter of the fact that we should be able to discuss non-religion at our own leisure without you wonderful!Christians coming in to try to tell us how right you are, when your forum isn't being held to the same rules with "banned" words that are not "naughty swears."

Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
I'm still waiting to see the equivalent edicts on the R&P and Christianity forums.

Oh, that's right, I might as well forget about that. THEY don't have to follow the same rules.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:02 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Will the same rules apply when believers call us non believers heathens, and imply that we are evil baby killers just for not believing?

And what about the capitalization thing? I see some people mentioned it but I didn't catch if there is a rule about it....I hope not. English grammar rules state that proper nouns are capitilized....

What about when people like me write 'god' or "god" instead of just god...?

What about stating our opinions on things in the Bible? Like for example I think Solomon was a mentally ill pervert....can I still say that or things of that nature?

Where does the line get drawn?

It should stop at personal attacks in my opinion.

This is what I wrote in the other thread....I don't feel it was answered. A lot of questions went unanswered June and Miss Blue. I don't see an answer to people calling gay people immoral either. Definately an attack meant to inflame.

[+] Rate this post positively

I think when the thread was closed it did answer the question. You are not seen as the equal to the myth followers, you accept their mandate, follow the new discriminatory rules, sit on the back of the bus, and be good little atheist, or go find a new forum to debate on. If this continues unchecked, come Dec. 4 this forum will be dead, and not worth the time to make a post on. The Mods have made a poor decision, now let’s see how they can live with it.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:50 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Montanaguy.

What is offensive about the word "skydaddy", other than it is an acknowledgement that I don't believe there is a real God?

The fact is, words like "Gawd" and "skydaddy" don't call a religious person any derogatory names. Instead, they indicate that the speaker doesn't believe there is a holy God.

So would you agree that words like "Gawd" and "skydaddy" in no way insult a Christian? If you disagree, please explain how.
I was born in Brooklyn, NY where a lot of people said, "Gawd" and they don't mean to be offensive.

It amazes how it's OK for Christians to use their psalms to pray for damnation the President of the United States, but the AA Forum gets a list of words they can't use because it dishonors an antiquated belief system.

I too think Montana guy would be a good mod.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:55 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Here's what I think. Atheists calling religious people derogatory names has gotten out of control and a few religious zealots who tell us atheists that we're self-centered losers with no sense of right and wrong has also gone too far.

I also see another potential problem. If certain topics such as open discussions about homosexuality in which Christians who consider it to be sinful are not allowed to express their opinions then I will not be allowed to explain to them why they are dead wrong. I believe that it is in the best interests of this forum for everyone to be able to express exactly what they think but they need to leave out the personal insults, it's as simple as that.

Here's my suggestion to make this whole process work much better than it does now. To my fellow atheists, don't go out of your way to use expressions that are intended to be insulting and hurtful to people who are religious. To Christians and believers in various faiths, don't act condescending and superior to those of us who don't believe as though we're some kind of trailer trash.
Montana . . . the resentments on both sides are not minor. Most atheists are refugees from some oppressive religious doctrines, etc. and their abreactions almost require that they belittle and "get back" at those idiots with demeaning and ridiculing words, names, etc. The same type of believers who alienated the atheists from religion with their superstitious illogic and doctrinal tenacity are the type who are continuing their same obnoxious self-righteous attitudes and practices toward atheists here in the fora.

I have no doubt whatever that the moderation will remain even-handed and fair as it has been to date. But you are right . . . the name-calling and unnecessary tone of mocking and ridicule was simply getting out of hand in the A&A forum . . . as was the religious bigotry from the other side. I echo BOTH your call to your fellow atheists and to my fellow theists . . . we should be able to simply be POLITE . . . as we try to demolish each others' views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism