Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times

Advertisements

KAINTUCK wrote:
Quote:
The next time you put up a thread in which you want to call yourselves names and invite criticism of atheism. Don't read what you wrote into someone elses commentary just because that someone else doesn't endorse your position. Read what the someone else says. You might learn something about yourself you did not know.
Well, I started this thread last night and added a little of my oddball sense of humour to liven it up a little and this morning I wake up to pages of arguing and bickering. I would respond to the quote above but the grammar and jumbled sentences make it difficult to comprehend in the first place. However, after reading all of KAINTUCK's posts I think it's safe to say that atheists are not his or her favorite group (which is the point of this thread). I don't think I'm the least bit arrogant because I find the concept of God to be unbelieveable. That just means that I really gave it alot of thought and it doesn't make any sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 09:01 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,534,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
If that's so, how come I've been suspended about 3 times ??

Plad, don't you and one of my favorite christians usually go down around the same timeI love both of you. Both of you fight hard defending your opinions.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 AM

453 posts, read 2,102,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
The main thing I have run into is that some christians assume that all morality flows from being a christian so therefore since I don't beleive in any god at all, I therefore must also have no morals...

Nothing could be further from the truth...
i think that is a large contributor to the stigma.

the funny thing is that i have become a much more moral person after becoming atheist.
i realize that if i do something bad, i can ask for forgiveness yet that doesn't take away what i did. whereas when i was a christian, i figured that i could do whatever, ask for god's forgiveness, and everything was fine.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:35 AM

9,895 posts, read 10,838,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
KAINTUCK wrote:

Well, I started this thread last night and added a little of my oddball sense of humour to liven it up a little and this morning I wake up to pages of arguing and bickering. I would respond to the quote above but the grammar and jumbled sentences make it difficult to comprehend in the first place. However, after reading all of KAINTUCK's posts I think it's safe to say that atheists are not his or her favorite group (which is the point of this thread). I don't think I'm the least bit arrogant because I find the concept of God to be unbelieveable. That just means that I really gave it alot of thought and it doesn't make any sense to me.
Well Montana guy, I can only speak for myself but , I thought kaintuck had very logical points. My first reaction to this thread was, I dont see it! As a christian, I just dont see christians looking at or treating atheists as you describe, to me, its more of a, "oh well to bad for you" type of a deal! Its been my experience that you wouldnt know someone was an atheist unless they were out spoken about it & I havent really seen much of that. Seems like a non issue to me! I do find the responses to Kaintucks posts quite interesting, and with out generalizing seems very typical of alot of threads started on this forum where people that disagree are attacked for coming in and giving some unsolicited opinion. Seems again like some people are just looking and waiting to be offended!

Old 06-10-2007, 11:25 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
silas777 wrote:
Quote:
I just dont see christians looking at or treating atheists as you describe
That's an interesting thing for you to say because I noticed on the last page how you complimented KAINTUCK for stating that atheists are only atheists until they're ready to die and that atheists "have the incredible audacity to declare that they are an atheist" and also that atheism "is the purest form of narcissism." You said he had some pretty logical points but these don't sound very logical and it appears that you share KAINTUCK's disdain for atheists, so while you and KAINTUCK were exchanging high fives you were really just giving support to my basic point of view, that atheists are not held in very high regard by most of society.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:34 AM

7,543 posts, read 17,264,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
I guess I am one horrible communicator or the reading comprehension is awful. You folks got me going because you read what you wanted to read not what was there to read. The only derogatory, let's quote that, "only derogatory" mention I made of athiests was my true belief that they are "narcissists". Why? Because you would have to believe that your itsy bitsy teeny weeny biological human brain has the ability to discern from infinite unfathonable knowledge that there is no God. Read...contrast...faith/narcissism,faith/narcissism,faith/narcissism. O.K. now I'm done.
Oh, just one more thing. How in the hell could any one of you tell whether or not I claimed to be a Christian or not from anything I have written? If any of you Moderator cut: no name calling, please that suggested so can find it please point it out to me. Your objectivity reeks of subjectivity.

You throw the same few words around (how many times have you said "objective, subjective, faith, narcissistic"?), but what I can't figure out is how Atheism is any more "narcissistic" than Belief. Not that I think either one is very narcissistic... I don't even know why we're using that adjective...

Old 06-10-2007, 11:37 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times
Atheists may actually be less narcissistic than believers in certain ways, because atheists don't believe they were hand-picked by God as the one and only being that reflects His image. They don't believe they were handed dominion over every other life form on earth, or that a God watches over them specifically as a species, while every other creature, animal or plant alike, is born without a soul and is made to serve, feed, etc. humans.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 AM

7,543 posts, read 17,264,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Most any faith is acceptable in the public discourse except Christianity.
That's just not true. Where, in public discourse (and other things, like in buildings...), are there examples of OTHER religions!?

It's not like you see a Star of David hanging beside those 10 Commandments, or hear a chant in the middle of the Pledge of Allegiance. I, as an atheist and a believer in the separation of religion and government, will fight against the inclusion of ANY religious influence upon the public realm - the only problem is that the only religion I have to fight against is Christianity.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:49 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That's just not true. Where, in public discourse (and other things, like in buildings...), are there examples of OTHER religions!?

It's not like you see a Star of David hanging beside those 10 Commandments, or hear a chant in the middle of the Pledge of Allegiance. I, as an atheist and a believer in the separation of religion and government, will fight against the inclusion of ANY religious influence upon the public realm - the only problem is that the only religion I have to fight against is Christianity.
Exactly so. Christians see themselves as the one religion being held back from expressing itself in the public setting. But Christianity is the only religion fighting the big fight to get make that expression public (or keep it public) in the first place. If other religions were so insistent and so relentless in trying to make themselves visible in public settings all across the U.S., then they too would feel they were being "dumped on" and refused. But they're not so aggressive and relentless and they back off so you don't hear as much about them being refused a public setting for statues or what have you.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:51 AM

345 posts, read 203,885 times
MontanaGuy, You started a thread in which you used imaginary self deprecating words indicating how you thought some people think. I never gave one kudos to those remarks. Not one. Read the damn thread man. You sound like Al Sharpton dodging imaginary white demons. I stated what I believe to be a logical fact and that is all I ever stated and was attacked by at least ten different people,some stating that they were Christians telling me how awful a person I was because I said Atheism in my opinion is a narcissic position. I provided many sound arguements why I think that is true. You can neither prove the fact that their is no God any better than I can prove that there is a God. In my reasoning if a man believes he has developed and evolved a sense of reasoning that suggests there is no God, it leaves me to believe that is a narcissic concept. It doesn't mean I think he is narcissic in every phase of his life. It means that I think he is narcissic philosophically to come to that conclusion. I stated all those things without anyone even knowing I had a position relative to Christianity but everyone automatically assumed I was an athiest bashing Christian. Any objective person that took the time to read my comments would surely find the piling on hilarious. Perhaps it is your lack of objecticity that leads you to what I believe to be your errant philosophical conclusions. You would be wrong to think I have some disdain for you simply because I think you are wrong in your philosphical conclusions. What I have heard here is self deprecation which makes me think you question your professed beliefs. That is a good thing.From a logical perspective, I do have more respect for the intelligence of an agnostic than I do for an athiest.Simply put, you don't have enough information to make that call and neither you or I are smart enough to make that call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism