Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
To me, atheists just seem over all pessimistic people.

I used to be one myself, and I would know. What is there to look forward to in life if all you plan on doing one day is dying and turning into nothingness? Even if my beliefs are false, at least I'll never know they are. If they are real, then I will get to enjoy eternal salvation.

And it isn't atheists I have a problem with. It is some of the extremists that I do. There seems to be a lot online, but that is because you guys can shout your opinions out anonymously.
1) I don't share your former pessimism. Just because a certain movie(life) has a crappy ending doesn't mean that the entire genre (belief system) sucks. Just that movie. I'm going to enjoy my movie/life until the very end and savor it.

2) Wouldn't that mean according to your belief system that:
a) You actually DO get to go to the good portion of the afterlife
b) You aren't using it as some sort of 'insurance plan', in that "If I die I'm covered. If there is a god I go upwards and if there isn't a god it dosen't matter". I doubt any deity would look kindly towards that. It's more or less like being a gold digger, only caring about yourself. In all of my bible reading, I always thought that was looked down upon...

3) Are you saying that Christianity and other belief systems don't have extremists? Are you crazy? When was the last time you heard of an atheist carrying out a crusade against religion, blowing themselves up, or protesting funerals because of their beliefs (All of which are equally despicable imo)?
I don't have a problem with any religious people either, only the extremists. And unfortunately there are tens of millions of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
1) I don't share your former pessimism.

3) Are you saying that Christianity and other belief systems don't have extremists? ... And unfortunately there are tens of millions of them.
Kudos to Marodi. A few days ago, right here on our Main Street, were a bunch of parading "End Time'rs" complete with "The End is Coming" posters. Yikes! It was like a bad Hollywood "D" movie or worse. Did they think we'd be convinced or disgusted? Well, there's always the "undecided vote", but hopefully that's because those types have at least partially inquisitive minds.

And to follow up, the 'insurance policy" argument is equally disgusting. What disingenuous crap! It would seem to fully support a "carnal" or unethical lifestyle now as all yah gotta do in the end is tearfully beg for God's forgiveness. An easy way out! Neatly structured by the Church to fill in all the possible niches in their logic-free mythology with a last-ditch last rites procedure ("Quick! Send for my priest! I got somethin' important to say to him!").

Finally, re: AaronK: I am one of the most optimistic people you'd ever meet. Why not! I, in the comfort of my own mind, at least "know" that I choose to be ethical in my daily life, and see the wonder of our admittedly limited lifetime here. Hey, have fun, be happy; don't fret about the future man!

A better question would seem to be: Why do only some of us see the obvious idiocity of this fear-mongering power play?

Last edited by rifleman; 09-24-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: typos and clarity

Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Quote:
My friends, husband, and family would really disagree with you on that. They often refer to me as "sickeningly optimistic." Its my nature to always look for the silver lining. I even make my christian friends want to puke because I'm so darned happy all the time.

Quote:
I used to be one myself, and I would know. What is there to look forward to in life if all you plan on doing one day is dying and turning into nothingness? Even if my beliefs are false, at least I'll never know they are. If they are real, then I will get to enjoy eternal salvation.
There's alot to look forward to! Sunset, sunrise.. dinner.. I love food, sorry. lol I get to look forward to my children's smiling faces, first days of school, summer vacations, birthdays, holidays. There's alot to be excited about in this life. I, for one, have no intention on wasting a second of it mulling over what's going to happen when it's over. I believe this is the only life I have, and I'm planning to spend it happy and fill each moment with laughter, smiles, and good times.

As for you not knowing if your beliefs are false, that's not entirely true. What if - by some off chance - that there really is Zeus. What if you get to those pearly gates, and it's good ole Zeus hanging there by the door going "You didn't think I was real, did ya?" and you get to spend eternity gettin zapped in the butt with lightening bolts. Or what if, by chance, it's the Hindi's that got it right.. and you get to those pearly gates and realize they look a little more like a corral. What if there is a great big ole heiffer in the sky standin there flippin manburgers at a grill going "So.. how many hamburgers did you gulp down in your lifetime?"

You may have just as much a chance at being wrong as I or any other atheist, but what you fail to acknowledge is that every other religion has just as much a chance at being right as you do. How many other gods and goddesses will you kneel down before on the chance that one of those are the right ones?

Quote:
And it isn't atheists I have a problem with. It is some of the extremists that I do. There seems to be a lot online, but that is because you guys can shout your opinions out anonymously.
It is easier to be an atheist online than in day to day life.. Because, just like the very first post in this thread states, atheists are looked down on, criticized, and even in some cases ostracized for their (lack of) beliefs. There are places in this country where its just plain old "not safe" to be an atheist. It's alot harder to fire someone from their job, for example, for proclaiming their atheism if you don't know who they are.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Breath of Fresh, Logical Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
What if - by some off chance - that there really is Zeus. What if you get to those pearly gates, and it's good ole Zeus hanging there by the door going "You didn't think I was real, did ya?"

You may have just as much a chance at being wrong as I or any other atheist, but what you fail to acknowledge is that every other religion has just as much a chance at being right as you do. How many other gods and goddesses will you kneel down before on the chance that one of those are the right ones?

Spotted1: What a breath of fresh air in here! 'Nuff said!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:

In what way are atheists over all pessimistic people. That seems rather irrational. Why do you need to believe in some fantasy world to look forward to things in life. Also, there are thousands of deities that are worshipped on the planet. If there is an afterlife, it would be just as plausible that you would only enjoy eternal salvation if you worshipped Thor or Kali, not Yahweh. And supposing there is a god, if you spent your life worshipping the wrong god, then you spent your life worshipping an imaginary friend.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
I'm not sure society has a low opinion of atheists, at least not where I live. I really think it makes quite a difference if you happen to live in an area like mine where most don't take religion very seriously or in, lets say the bible belt.

This forum has been an eye opener for me. I had no clue that so many had such strange beliefs and take them so seriously...Previous to coming here I had never heard of "the rapture" and thought creationists and believers of end times were just kooks on the fringes of Christianity...How naive was I? I can say this though, I'm glad I live where I do.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:18 AM

19 posts, read 31,069 times
Why Does Society Have Such A Low Opinion Of Atheists?

Because because god told them......

Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 AM

513 posts, read 1,581,654 times
I guess you need to be less America-centric. remember, we live in a world greater than the US. Tons of the Europeans profess no religious belief whatsoever; China is officially an atheist nation. Most Japanese I know of are too smart to even spend their precious time on the stupid subject of "God".

Old 09-27-2008, 01:15 PM

19 posts, read 31,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
I guess you need to be less America-centric. remember, we live in a world greater than the US. Tons of the Europeans profess no religious belief whatsoever; China is officially an atheist nation. Most Japanese I know of are too smart to even spend their precious time on the stupid subject of "God".

The interesting thing is that most European nations are more secular than the USA but enjoy a better standard of living than the USA, have less violent crime, better job security, accessible health care, better lives in their golden years, are more charitable, and overall happier. Denmark, one of the most secular countries in a mostly secular Europe, was recently feature on 60 Minutes as the happiest country in the world.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:20 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
, we live in a world greater than the US. ".
...ok... you lost me right there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism