Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,155,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
If anyone spends anytime there at all , they soon realize that the students come from all over the world, not just the U.S. Many of us do realise that it is a great school , doing some great things in many different areas especially the engineering fields it is well known for.
Yeah, but can you name REALLY significant things Georgia Tech has done? Stuff that have affected our lives and changed the world? For instance, Google came out of Standford. Fractal Antennas I think came out of Boston University, an important breakthrough for cell phones. The only thing that comes to mind is Hayes and Hayes modems. But that company has since gone bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,902,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yeah, but can you name REALLY significant things Georgia Tech has done? Stuff that have affected our lives and changed the world? For instance, Google came out of Standford. Fractal Antennas I think came out of Boston University, an important breakthrough for cell phones. The only thing that comes to mind is Hayes and Hayes modems. But that company has since gone bust.
Post #9 on page 1???

Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,353,828 times
Quote:
List of Georgia Institute of Technology alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not too hard to find out any prominent alumni who made major contributions...

They don't do too shabby on the patent portfolio either:
GT | Georgia Tech Ranks Among Top 10 in 'Patent Scorecard'

Old 08-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
List of Georgia Institute of Technology alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not too hard to find out any prominent alumni who made major contributions...

They don't do too shabby on the patent portfolio either:
GT | Georgia Tech Ranks Among Top 10 in 'Patent Scorecard'
Yeah, but you can patent some rather trivial improvements, etc. And unless the alumnus is taking something right out of Tech like those two Google guys from Stanford did, the alumni achievements are of their own doing. I think Tech's sole claim to a connection to a Nobel laureate is Kary Mullis who earned his Bachelor's in Chemistry there. Can GT claim that if it were not for Tech, Mullis would not have won a Nobel? And as far as I know there are no Nobel laureates on Tech's faculty.

Maybe there is something but again, can anyone point to a significant contribution that Georgia Tech has made to the world? So often, if I hear of interesting breakthroughs, it usually is from somewhere else.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Post #9 on page 1???
I'm not sure of the claim that GT invented the LED. I can't find a source that says that. Nick Holonyak is supposedly the "father of the LED" and he did it at General Electric. And I know of no connection he has with Georgia Tech.

And I don't care about CEO alumni and companies spawned at Tech. I'm talking big achievements discovered or developed at Georgia Tech. An example would be the Polio vaccine which was developed at the University of Pittsburgh. That's significant.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,127,956 times
Why don't you do your own research Mathman? I get the Tech newsletter every day and I hear of some pretty ridiculous stuff coming out of Tech almost every day. It sounds to me like you are just on a high horse. We have some of the most endowed faculty in the country and a reputation that isn't earned by not putting out good product. As everyone has said, Tech isn't only known for science, computer technology, and engineering. I mentioned all the CEOs and business leaders who have come out of Tech because we have always had one of the top business schools/industrial management schools in the country. We have Ellen Dunham Jones and a whole host of very well known faculty in our city planning department (in the COA) and we have one of the best schools of architecture. Do you know who John Portman is? Tech professors are quoted every day on the news, in publications, in newspapers, magazines, books, etc and many of the faculty are always brought on to whatever the current administration's team is. Like I said, just look up professor Wong.

http://www.stewardship.gatech.edu/index.php

Check this site out for developments coming out of Georgia Tech related to sustainability and green technology.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:14 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,536,675 times
Who are you speaking to? Georgia Tech does too good of a job of indoctrinating folks into thinking it is solid gold and without flaw. They make it sound better than it is and trick many into going there! And, before anyone does any eyerolls at me, I go to Tech and have every right to say so!

That said, though, it is a great school academically and in research. Too damn hard, though. It will break you and make you a hard worker.

Better than UGA, our state flagship which was rated #1 party school in the nation. They get more money from the state and have more students, yet we have more revenue and expenditures in total than they do. It comes from private donors, research, etc.. So, yeah, we're doing a good job, IMO.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
DNA polymerase chain reaction which has allowed for cloning, advancement of the human genome project, etc.

Several Signal Processing theorems which have made data transfer easier and more efficient

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane scale

Entomopter

SQLite

WTC Memorial Design (if they would just start the damn thing already)

Last edited by xavier132487; 08-07-2010 at 03:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but you can patent some rather trivial improvements, etc. And unless the alumnus is taking something right out of Tech like those two Google guys from Stanford did, the alumni achievements are of their own doing. I think Tech's sole claim to a connection to a Nobel laureate is Kary Mullis who earned his Bachelor's in Chemistry there. Can GT claim that if it were not for Tech, Mullis would not have won a Nobel? And as far as I know there are no Nobel laureates on Tech's faculty.

Maybe there is something but again, can anyone point to a significant contribution that Georgia Tech has made to the world? So often, if I hear of interesting breakthroughs, it usually is from somewhere else.
If that is the case, then I could claim that Stanford hasn't had any effect on Silicon Valley. It's just that all the brains go there, start companies, and ride the inertia of SV. Yep, that's it

Your Google example was started by Page and Brin themselves; they took nothing from Stanford. They invented the PageRank system which was the basis of their search engine. The only thing that Stanford claims right to is that they patented PageRank, and Google has exclusive rights to it through Stanford.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
If that is the case, then I could claim that Stanford hasn't had any effect on Silicon Valley. It's just that all the brains go there, start companies, and ride the inertia of SV. Yep, that's it
I don't know how much of an effect Stanford had in making Silicon Valley. Typically companies like to locate near talent pools hence another such concentration of companies in Boston. But the allure of California and the Bay Area probably played a part as well, and clusters of companies attract other such companies, etc. It's that "critical mass" thing.

On a smaller yet still significant note, the computer mouse is an idea that came out of Stanford. The mouse didn't take off as a computing device until the Mac came along.

Quote:
Your Google example was started by Page and Brin themselves; they took nothing from Stanford. They invented the PageRank system which was the basis of their search engine. The only thing that Stanford claims right to is that they patented PageRank, and Google has exclusive rights to it through Stanford.
Yes, but it was a research project AT Stanford. Something that came out of a university and really made an impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta