Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,139,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
DNA polymerase chain reaction which has allowed for cloning, advancement of the human genome project, etc.
I don't think that was developed at Georgia Tech. Kary Mullis gets credit for it and that was years after he got his Bachelors from Tech.

Quote:
Several Signal Processing theorems which have made data transfer easier and more efficient
Ok, improvements but I'm looking for big ideas and not baby steps.

Quote:
Saffir-Simpson Hurricane scale
I find no evidence that it was developed at Georgia Tech

Quote:
Entomopter
Ok, this is partly from Tech. Guess we'll have to wait and see how much it will impact the world.

Quote:
SQLite
I find no evidence that it was developed at Georgia Tech.

Quote:
WTC Memorial Design (if they would just start the damn thing already)
Architecture is more a quality of life thing. I'm talking about discoveries or developments that really affect the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,120,181 times
Alright Mathman, you win! Tech's high rankings for all of its programs a BS. All the international students and students from other areas such as Boston and CA who choose to go to Tech over schools in their areas are dumb for making that decision. All the famous Tech alumni are illusions and even if they went to Tech, their contributions to society were 100% self learned and self created. Tech had no influence on them. Whatever school you went to is probably a much better school than Tech across all standards. You win. You have single handedly said that everything mentioned on this thread is false and you have turned a thread about an asset to Atlanta and the world really into a thread about the falsity of that notion. Thanks. In fact, let's talk about how great the schools in the Bay area, Boston, and Pittsburgh are, and forget about the fact that Atlanta has Tech, Emory, and UGA all within the area. Atlanta is just a dumb little hick town in the South? I guess that's the conclusion we must make.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:57 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,120,181 times
Oh yea...why on earth would the Smithsonian Institution name former Tech president Wayne Clough its next/current secretary? Why do so many companies, presidents, and organizations recruit Tech alumni to their boards or to the position of chair? They must all be idiots for recruiting a bunch of overrated people from an overrated school.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:14 PM

254 posts, read 369,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Alright Mathman, you win! Tech's high rankings for all of its programs a BS. All the international students and students from other areas such as Boston and CA who choose to go to Tech over schools in their areas are dumb for making that decision. All the famous Tech alumni are illusions and even if they went to Tech, their contributions to society were 100% self learned and self created. Tech had no influence on them. Whatever school you went to is probably a much better school than Tech across all standards. You win. You have single handedly said that everything mentioned on this thread is false and you have turned a thread about an asset to Atlanta and the world really into a thread about the falsity of that notion. Thanks. In fact, let's talk about how great the schools in the Bay area, Boston, and Pittsburgh are, and forget about the fact that Atlanta has Tech, Emory, and UGA all within the area. Atlanta is just a dumb little hick town in the South? I guess that's the conclusion we must make.
Great Post!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't know how much of an effect Stanford had in making Silicon Valley. Typically companies like to locate near talent pools hence another such concentration of companies in Boston. But the allure of California and the Bay Area probably played a part as well, and clusters of companies attract other such companies, etc. It's that "critical mass" thing.

On a smaller yet still significant note, the computer mouse is an idea that came out of Stanford. The mouse didn't take off as a computing device until the Mac came along.

Yes, but it was a research project AT Stanford. Something that came out of a university and really made an impact.
It was THEIR project, not the school's. And in fact, it was based on Rankdex, a less popular engine that was made at University of Buffalo. Try again.

Also, saying that Stanford hasn't had an effect on Silicon Valley is just naive. They made a place that fostered research, and grads took small steps from the school (such as the mouse, seemingly insignificant at first), and talented graduates knew how to implement them for the consumer market. That's generally the way it works.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't think that was developed at Georgia Tech. Kary Mullis gets credit for it and that was years after he got his Bachelors from Tech.

Ok, improvements but I'm looking for big ideas and not baby steps.

I find no evidence that it was developed at Georgia Tech

Ok, this is partly from Tech. Guess we'll have to wait and see how much it will impact the world.

I find no evidence that it was developed at Georgia Tech.

Architecture is more a quality of life thing. I'm talking about discoveries or developments that really affect the world.
Ah, we're going to play THAT game are we? "I find no evidence..." means you're too damn lazy to look, or you don't want to admit you are wrong. Then, when someone puts something significant up, it's "baby steps" and you change the criteria for what is significant? Not playing.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:28 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,871,924 times
Atlanta's feelings about Georgia Tech

To the best of my reputedly limited knowledge base, the only thing that GATech fans and UGA fans can agree on is "Florida State is worse"!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
It was THEIR project, not the school's. And in fact, it was based on Rankdex, a less popular engine that was made at University of Buffalo. Try again.

Also, saying that Stanford hasn't had an effect on Silicon Valley is just naive. They made a place that fostered research, and grads took small steps from the school (such as the mouse, seemingly insignificant at first), and talented graduates knew how to implement them for the consumer market. That's generally the way it works.
From what I can find, it sounds as if Rankdex was being pursued simultaneously. Perhaps it is like Alexander Graham Bell and the telephone. He submitted his patent before another inventor. I saw one site that alleges the Rankdex algorithm might have been "stolen" and used by the Google guys. But without stronger evidence, I'll still give credit to Page. Bottom line Stanford holds the patent.

And yes, it was their project, AT STANFORD, as PhD students. Stanford apparently has an environment that cultivates and encourages such work and they intended to use this for their theses. So I also consider work done as students at a university as part of the program of study, under direction from their advisors, using university resources as coming from Stanford. How else can Stanford claim the patent? And yes, I know they left Stanford without completing their PhDs.

And I didn't say Stanford doesn't have an effect on Silicon Valley. I don't know how much can be attributed to Stanford but I'm sure it helped. A place like Silicon Valley also needs a plethora of venture capitalists, ie money, who will invest. And companies attract other companies so as I said, a critical mass was needed. And it should be a place where people want to live. It was more than just Stanford.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Ah, we're going to play THAT game are we? "I find no evidence..." means you're too damn lazy to look, or you don't want to admit you are wrong. Then, when someone puts something significant up, it's "baby steps" and you change the criteria for what is significant? Not playing.
I’m lazy? You put them up allegedly knowing the Georgia Tech connection and not mentioning what they are. I did look them up and found little evidence other than he was a student at Tech but the work wasn't done AT Tech.

The polymerase chain reaction was created by Kary Mullis in 1983 at the company Cetus. He got his BS in chemistry in 1966 at Georgia Tech. That is the only GT connection I know. So PCR was not discovered or developed at Tech.

Signal Processing Algorithms. Ok what are they? Algorithms can be significant or not. I need more to go on and apparently you know what they are.

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale was developed in 1971. Saffir got his BS in Civil Engineering from Georgia Tech in 1940. I don’t think he worked for GT since. It was not developed at Georgia Tech.

Again, we’ll have to see how significant the entomopter becomes.

SQLite was developed by Hipp in 2000 at General Dynamics. Hipp got his masters at Georgia Tech in 1984 and did his PhD at Duke. It was not developed at Georgia Tech.

Even the WTC Memorial Design wasn’t done at Tech. Michael Arad got his masters in Architecture from Tech. But he was working for the New York Housing Authority when he submitted his design. Perhaps this was an independent work. Anyway, not done at Georgia Tech.

If this proposed BeltLine around Atlanta becomes world renowned and the bees knees, ok, that came from Tech. We’ll see.

I’m asking what of significance has come FROM Tech. Either by researchers, faculty, and even students working on their theses. Big deal stuff that make an impact, not small improvements. Two more examples, John Forbes Nash got the Nobel for his work in Game Theory which he did as a grad student at Princeton. Fullerenes were discovered at Rice University which merited a Nobel Prize.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Possibly so. I mean Bill Gates and Steven Jobs didn't need a college diploma. Maybe it is more personal initiative. But what has been borne directly from Georgia Tech? If years pass after graduation, I can only imagine it is from some other influences as GT's influence (if any) fades. So many people I know say that they use little of what they learned at Tech at their jobs. Tech can enroll smart people and if they succeed in life, take the credit! Shoot, even Georgia State has a lot of graduates who are CEOs, etc. and I think we can all agree that academically they are viewed as average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta