Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,316,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
And surely you realize that the passages mentioning slaves is not about blacks don't you?
What a laughable comment. Like that makes a difference.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,447,677 times
The Bible doesn't "support" slavery. The New Testament spoke to slaves because that was a condition that many early Christians were in. Scripture commanded them to obey/respect their masters (to win them to Christ), but also to try to gain their freedom. Old Testament slavery was a voluntary, temporary arrangement. Hebrew slaves were required to be freed after 7 years unless they wanted to stay by choice. Gentile slaves weren't under that requirement, but the Bible still commands that they should be treated with respect and decency. There was NOTHING Scripturally-justified about 19th century American slavery. It was a great evil that God did not condone.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,847,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The Bible doesn't "support" slavery. The New Testament spoke to slaves because that was a condition that many early Christians were in. Scripture commanded them to obey/respect their masters (to win them to Christ), but also to try to gain their freedom. Old Testament slavery was a voluntary, temporary arrangement. Hebrew slaves were required to be freed after 7 years unless they wanted to stay by choice. Gentile slaves weren't under that requirement, but the Bible still commands that they should be treated with respect and decency. There was NOTHING Scripturally-justified about 19th century American slavery. It was a great evil that God did not condone.
There was slavery in other areas of the world in the 19th century...I know this is off-topic and it can be laid to rest right now, but I certainly can't let it go when Americans are blamed for slavery. Slavery is a human evil that has been around since the beginning of recorded history...and many more countries than just America were involved in the African slave trade! There was an attempt to support slavery with scripture way back when by those who tried to justify it, but you're exactly right in stating that it was just that - an attempt and nothing else.

Anyway, back to monsters and other evils...

Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,533,479 times
Should Bishop Long step down? Here's what Predicto users say... *| ajc.com

FWIW--
'The Washington Post recently conducted an "unscientific" poll asking readers whether Long should step down from his position as senior pastor of New Birth.

Of 5,100 respondents, 79 percent said he should go and 21 percent think he should stay.'

It is more complex, of course.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,291,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
What a laughable comment. Like that makes a difference.
It's perfectly acceptable to speak down on the Jews.

At least, according to J2rescue

Old 10-05-2010, 04:13 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,917,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The Bible doesn't "support" slavery. .... There was NOTHING Scripturally-justified about 19th century American slavery. It was a great evil that God did not condone.
The Bible certainly doesn't condemn slavery anywhere. Yet it does give a number of explicit instructions to slaves to be obedient, to not talk back, and to really put their hearts into into their duties. You may not consider that "support" but it's why scripture was used for centuries as a justification for slavery.

Personally I believe slavery was an unimaginable crime against humanity. But you won't find anything in the Bible condemning it. That's why it's hard to fathom folks who go around quoting the Bible as some kind of authority to bash gays while ignoring its countless other teachings that they find inconvenient. Are they buying the whole Bible as the word of God, or just the sections they like?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,410,841 times
I have to say, this was so damn funny on the news!

I'm just so shocked that Jamal was willing to come forward and admit that he's been laying up with this man for all this time. And the pictures that the Bishop took of himself in the mirror with the body shirt on...ROTF!!!! How do you explain your way out of that one? Why are you taking shots of yourself in the mirror then sending them to other men?

We were cracking up watching it all unfold, but I commend the guys that put him on "front street" for whatever it's worth. Maybe he'll know better next time.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 10-05-2010 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 05:42 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,191,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's perfectly acceptable to speak down on the Jews.

At least, according to J2rescue
Talk about missing the point.

My point to arjay57, who apparently has visions of Roots every time the word slave appears in the Bible, is that it should be viewed in context of the circumstance in which it was written. No the scripture was not "speaking down" to anyone. It was practical instruction to early Christians of all races (most of whom were NOT Jews) who in fact were indentured servants, most commonly to people of the same race. The mistake is viewing Bible passages through the very narrow prism of recent US history.

Last edited by J2rescue; 10-05-2010 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
My point to arjay57, who apparently has visions of Roots every time the word slave appears in the Bible, .
That's kind of a smart-alecky remark, since I haven't said or implied any such thing. If you actually read my posts, you'll see that I've cited the Bible verbatim. Obviously the Bible predated African slavery in the New World by at least 1500 years, but it would be silly to contend that these passsages weren't used to justify slavery for hundreds of years.

If you're reading something into it other than historical fact, that's your projection, not mine.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
And the pictures that the Bishop took of himself in the mirror with the body shirt on...ROTF!!!! How do you explain your way out of that one? Why are you taking shots of yourself in the mirror then sending them to other men?
It's possible he was simply proud of his manly physique and felt that young men would be interested in seeing it. Pro athletes show off their bodies all the time and millions of men glue themselves to the TV watching every move they make. Many rappers also like to show off their physiques and young men often admire and seek to emulate them.

Men often flash their physiques to women as well, although the reasons are less clear.

I agree that it was odd for a man Long's age to target these particular boys but there's a possiblity it was good clean fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta