Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,998 times

Advertisements

Time to clean out the closets and want to donate to a women's homeless/battered shelter.

Does anybody know of a true shelter where I can donate directly and they may do a pickup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
The American Kidney Fund will pick up.

I'm not certain of how Goodwill distributes items but it is one of the larger charitable organizations in metro Atlanta. You can take donations to pick up points or to the various stores.

Atlanta Day Shelter>>
http://www.atlantadayshelter.org/donations.html (broken link)

Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,831 times
Goodwill is FOR PROFIT and is NOT a charitable enterprise. Thrift stores are also for profit. There is a women's shelter on Howell Mill and also one for abused women that does pick-up only. Dig around. DON'T donate to good will.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 PM

117 posts, read 255,393 times
So true about Goodwill and the likes.

Check out Baitul Salaam Network (http://www.baitulsalaam.net/residence.html - broken link)
This is a womans shelter in ATL, I know the sister who runs it. It benefits all women of any faith from any country.

They need the help and could really use those clothes....

Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womensvoice View Post
Goodwill is FOR PROFIT and is NOT a charitable enterprise. Thrift stores are also for profit. There is a women's shelter on Howell Mill and also one for abused women that does pick-up only. Dig around. DON'T donate to good will.
I know that Goodwill sells items that are in better condition and they also donate to other charitable organizations.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Nspire is a faith based organization that works with homeless men and women to help them gain the lfe skills that they need to get back on track. They will pick up -

To schedule a pickup call 678-298-2073 or go to clothingpickupatl.com

Good Luck.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,384 times
There's a place on Old Peachtree in Duluth that is specifically for battered women. I'll try to get the name asap.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 9,786 times
I recently found out that a lot of charity’s are for profit. I was disgusted when I started researching these larger companies and saw how little money they have to give to be considered a charity. For years I have been giving thinking I was helping others, when in reality, I was helping the wallets of these so called charity’s. I may not have a lot but I give what I can for the sole reason of helping others.
It kind of became my mission and I admit I may have gotten obsessed in my research. But I had this need to really feel like I was doing something good, that I was helping real people that needed it.
So, I started searching different charities in my area by checking with local organizations and talking to people that had found help. Through all this, I found a company that is a non-profit and visited them to see what they were all about. They have 2 local thrift stores, but they are a licensed non-profit charity. They work with anyone that needs help in addition to several groups, organizations even habitat for humanity. Everyone that works for them is a volunteer and all items donated are sold in the stores at a flat rate, not by what brand they are. All women’s shirts are $3.00 or free to those that need it, even if the original store tag said $100.00. They help those in need by providing clothing, household goods, furniture plus several additional services based on the persons situation. For those in need everything is free! Some other great things that really set them apart from others was hey provide services to people trying to get back on their feet, for those going to a job interview they give them a new suit, shoes, etc PLUS they even pay to get their hair cut/styled. People that have recently been through a loss such as a death in the family, they will also provide the needed apparel to them for free. If someone lost their home they provide free furniture. They work with a large amount of groups and organizations and often refer people to them for help. As this is not already amazing, they take the time to get to know the people they are helping, offer to pray with anyone in need and after the initial help, they continue to work with that person or family to insure they are doing ok. It was really an amazing experience meeting everyone there and after my visit, I knew this was the right place to bring my donation too. I highly suggest checking them out or even stopping to see all the amazing things they do.
Heavens Multitude Thrift Store in Flowery Branch off Atlanta highway. I can’t find the address but it’s on Atlanta Highway aka Buford Highway, between Friendship road and Spout Springs.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,618 times
Definitely check around. Check with local churches too sometimes they donate coats to the needy, Our group is planning a coat drive this year. Check our website www.sisterlinkatlanta.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: