Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 AM

6 posts, read 10,423 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

We are an Indian couple in our early 30's with a 7 month kiddo. We plan to relocate from India sometime in December. I have a travel job with most of my customers on the East coast. I was thinking of Atlanta mainly for reducing my financial burden as compared to staying in NJ.

I am providing the details below.

1. Budget (US$ 1,000 per month for renting a 2 Bed place
2. House/Condo/Townhome? (Condo/Townhome)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Working from home
4. Children(public school vs. private) (8 Month old so not required for now)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two (Mix of two)
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? (Yes especially Airport Access)
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. (Nothing specific)

Please do suggest a safe neighborhood. Alternatively, if you'll can suggest any other city on the East Coast that will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,648,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant View Post
Greetings,

We are an Indian couple in our early 30's with a 7 month kiddo. We plan to relocate from India sometime in December. I have a travel job with most of my customers on the East coast. I was thinking of Atlanta mainly for reducing my financial burden as compared to staying in NJ.

I am providing the details below.

1. Budget (US$ 1,000 per month for renting a 2 Bed place
2. House/Condo/Townhome? (Condo/Townhome)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Working from home
4. Children(public school vs. private) (8 Month old so not required for now)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two (Mix of two)
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? (Yes especially Airport Access)
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. (Nothing specific)

Please do suggest a safe neighborhood. Alternatively, if you'll can suggest any other city on the East Coast that will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
I would recommend the cities of Alpharetta, Sandy Springs or Dunwoody.

Other cities on the East Coast that you may want to try are Charlotte, NC or Raleigh, NC.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,324,801 times
Buckhead and Perimeter (Dunwoody, Perimeter mall area) are areas that offer MARTA service to the airport. Perimeter is less espensive of the two. But not sure if $1000 will be enough. But definitely look into these areas, especially Perimeter.

Further north in the suburbs is Alpharetta-Johns Creek area which is popular with families (and has a big Indian population). You can drive to the Perimeter area MARTA station from here, but traffic is bad in Alpharetta-Johns Creek area, and you could consider this area in the future as schools etc. become important. The airport is on the southside, so these northern suburbs are tough for what you are needing.

As an alternative to Atlanta, you could look into Southern Jersey (Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia). Depending on where your clients are, (and being in the middle of the Boston Washington corridor) you might be a train ride away from your clients. I think Philadelphia airport has reasonable accessible from South Jersey.

I think the Raleigh/Cary (research triangle) has better access to airport (I may be wrong) as it is in the middle of things. But I think tickets are more expensive flying out of Raleigh airport.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,538,180 times
If you'd like to be near an area with an Indian population as well as a lot of stores that serve that community, I would suggest Duluth or nearby. I believe the epicenter is around Jimmy Carter and I-85 but I may be off by an exit or two. There is also an Indian community on the south side in Riverdale i believe. You'd be MUCH closer to the airport in Riverdale but the Duluth area is a bit nicer in my opinion(more expensive too).

Last edited by DTL3000; 10-06-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 06:10 PM

188 posts, read 595,463 times
There is a huge Indian population in Johns Creek, zipcode 30097, as well as nearby areas of Alpharetta and Duluth. These areas have several Indian restaurants and grocery stores, and they are also very nice areas to raise a family.

The biggest problem is that they are far from the airport. Many of my Indian friends live in this general area, work from home, and drive to and from the airport for work a few times a month. They don't seem to mind it. But if you are traveling every single week, then you might want to live closer to the airport.

Are you South Indian, by any chance? The reason I ask, is because Atlanta is unusual in that it has a very large South Indian population. Many east coast cities have North Indians, but Atlanta's South Indian population rivals Houston and Chicago. So, if you are looking for a South Indian community, Atlanta is absolutely your best bet on the east coast.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 PM

6 posts, read 10,423 times
Many thanks friends for all your feedback..This helps a great deal.

@Tresninas - I come from Central India . I am honestly not keen to look exclusively in an Indian community - Whats the point of moving to the US and still staying in India.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 AM

188 posts, read 595,463 times
Then you'll find most major east coast cities have enough Indians for you! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta