Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM

128 posts, read 353,038 times

Advertisements

I know the whole Belk rumpus has fizzled out since they opened in Phipps a while back, but it looks like they're continuning to try to update their image. Do you guys shop there, and do you think they've made enough changes? Or has opening at Phipps been a mistake?
Personally, I think the "b" is a bit Bloomies-like.

Belk rebrands for the first time in 43 years *| ajc.com

http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/dynamic/00696/newbelklogo_696182l.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
For years, Belk was primarily a small-town southern store and their logo was extremely dated and old-fashioned. With their acquisition of Parisian, they've successfully up-marketed their profile and needed an image makeover. But I'm not sure if this logo is it.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,306 times
Why does the new logo remind me of a feminine product? This must be similar to a prior tampon/pad item.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
I like the new stylized flourish, which is a clever carry-over of their old "B" flourish, but the new lowercase "B" is too similar to Bloomingdale's and the font too 1970s.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Why does the new logo remind me of a feminine product? This must be similar to a prior tampon/pad item.
Yeah, it kinda does.
Actually, I think the Phipps Belk is a gem of a store with great customer service.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
For years, Belk was primarily a small-town southern store and their logo was extremely dated and old-fashioned. With their acquisition of Parisian, they've successfully up-marketed their profile and needed an image makeover. But I'm not sure if this logo is it.
That's the way Belk is perceived in GA only...in NC and SC it's been a staple since 1888 and an anchor in all of the nicer malls and shopping centers. I've never visited the one in Phipps or anywhere in GA, but Belk was never considered small-town or anything less than a Macy's-type department store...not exactly high end, but somewhere in the middle.

The new logo looks good to me...they needed something more in tune with 2010; I think what they had prior to this had been around at least since I was a kid.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,176 times
I shopped at the Phipps location when it was Parisian, which I miss, but I do shop at Belks here and there. They let the Parisian shoppers keep the no interest payment option on the credit card, which I like.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,509 times
I hate Belk, don't shop there except to buy school uniforms. When they took over Parisian I openly wept. I'd loved that store all my life and Belk doesn't even begin to touch it. Belk is a crappy, overcrowded mess that's almost impossible to shop in.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I hate Belk, don't shop there except to buy school uniforms. When they took over Parisian I openly wept. I'd loved that store all my life and Belk doesn't even begin to touch it. Belk is a crappy, overcrowded mess that's almost impossible to shop in.
Again, it's not like that in other states. When I first moved to Atlanta I remember noticing a Belk store in a low-rent strip plaza somewhere outside of Atlanta and it looked similar to an unkempt T.J. Maxx. I'm not sure why they allowed their image to be so nasty in GA, but the stores are totally different in NC (where Belk is based). Belk is on the level of Nordstrom and Macy's in NC malls and shopping centers. That still may not be good enough for Phipps (or for you?) but it certainly isn't as bad as "a crappy overcrowded mess"...are you sure you didn't wander into Big Lots by accident?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,509 times
I grew up with Belks in Alabama. It was one of the major department stores in my hometown, so I've known Belks my whole life. It not only didn't rise to the level of Nordstrom's, it wasn't even as good as Pizitz which was based out of Birmingham, and didn't come close to touching Parisian. My MIL used to be a buyer for them and she won't shop there either (except for school uniforms--gotta love Izod no wrinkling, shrinking or fading). And yes, it was a crappy, overcrowded mess. I was just in the one at the Forum yesterday. They're one of the few stores on the planet that have absolutely horrific-looking children's departments. Most stores put extra effort in that area as it's a true moneymaker, not Belks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta