Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
It is strange, but the tolerance level is MUCH lower down here toward a lot of things - for instance, many southern natives seem to get very defensive if you honk at them for a perfectly valid reason. Also, just being a bit more aggressive or pushy will get looks as will speaking with an accent from the N.E.
Also, the northeastern brand of sarcasm is not the norm in the South.
That's because we're allowed to pack heat here.
Honking is acceptable, but use of turn signals is optional.

I'm not so sure being aggressive or being pushy is a bad thing in Atlanta since most of us are also Nothern transplants.

I disagree with the sarcasm remark also. People like it here...if you're not being a jerk and if you're funny...perhaps you aren't being so nice and/or may be you're not as funny as you think you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:41 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,472 times
I am a native of Atlanta and I love meeting people from other parts of the country and these "transplants" have become the majority of my friends. Being a native, it is hard for me as well to encounter other natives in the employment sector as well as in the social and cultural outlets I partake in. I personally think it makes Atlanta a greater place to have different perspectives influencing the way of life here.

Now that that is out of the way, on the othe hand, I do get annoyed when people from NY, NJ, Los Angesles, Chicago, etc. choose to move down here for whatever reason but then purchase homes in Paulding, Cherokee, Coweta, and other outlaying counties and then want to complain that it's too slow and boring and culturally deprived down here. If city life is what y'all want then move into Atlanta and not an hour away. Atlanta is liberal, Atlanta is ethnically and culturally diverse, Atlanta has a good job market and decent public schools, etc. This means Atlanta and her CLOSE-IN suburbs (Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Smyrna, Vinings, etc.) These places along with Atlanta proper might provide the lifestyle you are used to. Don't buy a home just because it's super cheap (ask "why is it so inexpensive?") in some outlaying suburb and then expect the schools are going to be up to par, the commute is going to be a cake walk, and that you will find a million things to do. It's just not going to happen...and I am sure this is the case when people to live in the "sticks" surrounding any major metropolitan area.

The only problem here is that because everyone wants cheap housing, our country areas keep being transformed into suburbs. If you look at Hiram, Kennesaw, Johns Creek, even Alpharetta 20 years ago they were all rural areas. Now they are booming suburbs with crazy traffic, huge subdivisions, overcrowded schools, and shopping centers on every block (and in my opinion they all look the same). They older residents may resent that sort of change but one can understand that. It is human nature for people to resit change and you would find this attitude to become more and more rare as you move closer and closer into town.

My point is that Atlanta has a large enough metropolitan area that there is a neigborhood for everyone here. If you move far out expect to be moving to the old south where you might be faced with opposition from your neighbors, where your schools will be crowded and where no real culture is able to develop. If everyone would stop trying to move further and further out to find cheaper and cheaper housing maybe Atlanta could catch up with its growth. It is expensive to live here just as it is in any major city if you want to be in a good neighborhood with good schools, low crime, and close to good shopping, dining, and cultural options. Stop expecting to find a $175,000 house with all that. The people who told you you could find such things lied to you...the south is not all paridise and cookies...and since all the major southern citites are growing like widfire, new home prices go up every year and will one day be comparable to any other major American city.

I can not emphasize enough the importance of researching and visiting, several times, before taking job don here...I would suggest this to anyone moving down here, or relocating anywhere for that matter...

Last edited by stvincent; 08-28-2007 at 12:04 AM..

Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 52,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
So where in Lawrenceville did you live?
Gangs, drugs,...
Come on dude.
You're one of those people in denial. I'm telling you....I taught at L'vill ES. The police there are trying so hard to get rid of the gang influence.

And yeah, lots of riff raff....that's why I left.

And by the way "BLESS YOUR HEART" is the biggest bunch of sarcasm I've ever heard and I'm a life long Jersey girl...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 AM

110 posts, read 438,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I am a native of Atlanta and I love meeting people from other parts of the country and these "transplants" have become the majority of my friends. Being a native, it is hard for me as well to encounter other natives in the employment sector as well as in the social and cultural outlets I partake in. I personally think it makes Atlanta a greater place to have different perspectives influencing the way of life here.

Now that that is out of the way, on the othe hand, I do get annoyed when people from NY, NJ, Los Angesles, Chicago, etc. choose to move down here for whatever reason but then purchase homes in Paulding, Cherokee, Coweta, and other outlaying counties and then want to complain that it's too slow and boring and culturally deprived down here. If city life is what y'all want then move into Atlanta and not an hour away. Atlanta is liberal, Atlanta is ethnically and culturally diverse, Atlanta has a good job market and decent public schools, etc. This means Atlanta and her CLOSE-IN suburbs (Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Smyrna, Vinings, etc.) These places along with Atlanta proper might provide the lifestyle you are used to. Don't buy a home just because it's super cheap (ask "why is it so inexpensive?") in some outlaying suburb and then expect the schools are going to be up to par, the commute is going to be a cake walk, and that you will find a million things to do. It's just not going to happen...and I am sure this is the case when people to live in the "sticks" surrounding any major metropolitan area.

The only problem here is that because everyone wants cheap housing, our country areas keep being transformed into suburbs. If you look at Hiram, Kennesaw, Johns Creek, even Alpharetta 20 years ago they were all rural areas. Now they are booming suburbs with crazy traffic, huge subdivisions, overcrowded schools, and shopping centers on every block (and in my opinion they all look the same). They older residents may resent that sort of change but one can understand that. It is human nature for people to resit change and you would find this attitude to become more and more rare as you move closer and closer into town.

My point is that Atlanta has a large enough metropolitan area that there is a neigborhood for everyone here. If you move far out expect to be moving to the old south where you might be faced with opposition from your neighbors, where your schools will be crowded and where no real culture is able to develop. If everyone would stop trying to move further and further out to find cheaper and cheaper housing maybe Atlanta could catch up with its growth. It is expensive to live here just as it is in any major city if you want to be in a good neighborhood with good schools, low crime, and close to good shopping, dining, and cultural options. Stop expecting to find a $175,000 house with all that. The people who told you you could find such things lied to you...the south is not all paridise and cookies...and since all the major southern citites are growing like widfire, new home prices go up every year and will one day be comparable to any other major American city.

I can not emphasize enough the importance of researching and visiting, several times, before taking job don here...I would suggest this to anyone moving down here, or relocating anywhere for that matter...
smartest post here in a long time

Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 32,556 times
Ga crime is different than the kind I experienced in the north. Up north, if u stayed out of certain areas u were pretty much OK. Here it is everywhere!! No matter how nice the suburb or area! I have never personally experienced so much vandalism, break ins, death threats to my daughter from other girls, and of course literally seeing death and accidents nearly every week on the roads. GETME OUTTA HERE!!!!! PS we are not all here by choice

Old 08-28-2007, 04:28 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post

Now that that is out of the way, on the othe hand, I do get annoyed when people from NY, NJ, Los Angesles, Chicago, etc. choose to move down here for whatever reason but then purchase homes in Paulding, Cherokee, Coweta, and other outlaying counties and then want to complain that it's too slow and boring and culturally deprived down here.

On the first part, the missing culture is around the arts in Atlanta are centered around sports and hip hop. I missed good plays, ballets, and good museums (personal preferrence was the Philly Art Museum) while in ATL.

On the second part, AMEN!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:45 AM

136 posts, read 478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnygal View Post
Ga crime is different than the kind I experienced in the north. Up north, if u stayed out of certain areas u were pretty much OK. Here it is everywhere!!
I couldn't agree more!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:21 AM

29 posts, read 203,807 times
Quote:
Ga crime is different than the kind I experienced in the north. Up north, if u stayed out of certain areas u were pretty much OK. Here it is everywhere!! No matter how nice the suburb or area! ... and of course literally seeing death and accidents nearly every week on the roads...
I agree with this as well. Crime is very different down here & it seems that the criminals don't get caught most of the time. I've had people say to me oh you're from NY you should be used to this & I have to let them know that NO I'm not used to this & don't wanna get used to it!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times
Default Crime is crazy down here

Quote:
Ga crime is different than the kind I experienced in the north. Up north, if u stayed out of certain areas u were pretty much OK. Here it is everywhere!! No matter how nice the suburb or area! I have never personally experienced so much vandalism, break ins, death threats to my daughter from other girls, and of course literally seeing death and accidents nearly every week on the roads. GETME OUTTA HERE!!!!! PS we are not all here by choice
You are not lying. People think NY/NJ is crime infested because of the movies they see on TV. Give me a break. I could ride the trains at 3am and feel totally safe as a single female. NY used to be a mess in the 80s but totally cleaned up it's act, thanks to Giuliani (even though I personally don't like him but he did do a good job as mayor). Up North, if you are not involved in drugs or gang activity, you are pretty much safe. I find that in GA (and FL) crimes are more random. YOu can be a victim even if you are minding your own business. Breaking into homes and bank robberies are things that I am not used to hearing about. I used to think that was from the movies! Until I came down South....I am here now, trying to make the most of it. It is what it is, some good, some bad. I am trying to head back North though. Sorry.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Many parts of the Atlanta metro area, especially the suburbs, do tend to have a "wild west" feel, with the feeling that no one is in charge. Everything from litter to zoning to crime rates feels out of control. It is funny that many natives that I have met have an idea that the older northern cities are overrun with "big city crime," when in reality, the crime is very isolated, even in places like Detroit which have a reputation as dangerous. Where I grew up in Northeast Ohio, major suburban crime is basically non-existent in many areas (specifically murder, home invasions, etc.), and many very large suburbs have not had a murder for as long as anyone can remember. Now if they could just do something about the weather!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta