Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:43 AM

5 posts, read 11,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
What you may not be aware of is that before all the new construction at Perimeter (which by the way is only about 40-60 percent owner occupied), there were nearly 4000 apartments. Already, these apartments, as well as some of the large newly opened complexes tucked in along Ashford-Dunwoody are offering lower rent. .
I know someone who pays $1300 for a one bedroom on Ashford right across from the mall..Those high rise condo's over by the super Target were in the 300's.. This is the nicest part of Dekalb pre-Brookhaven bubble.

I've heard that Dekalb wasn't willing to spend on infrastructure around the area and simply didn't build enough roads. Thats why there aren't sidewalks and traffic is so bad.

Something so telling about Atlanta and it's people :they built a marta station into Perimeter mall. Then built a massvie office complex(concourse) just a little too far to walk from that station. No side walks either!! lol.. There is a shuttle though I hear.

Last edited by sdre42; 07-18-2008 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,539,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Isn't Kathie Gannon a Dunwoody resident?
That is not to say I disagree with what you state here.
I didn't think so....doesn't she live in the Emory area?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I didn't think so....doesn't she live in the Emory area?
I don't know where I got the idea she lived in Spruilltown...her home # is on her website and has a 378 prefix (Druid Hills).

Old 07-18-2008, 10:38 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Another thing to consider, if you lean a little more to the right culturally and politcally, you might feel more at home in East Cobb, if you are more centrist or left leaning, go with Dunwoody. Not that Dunwoody is liberal as such but that Cobb is that much more a bastion for conservatives in Metro Atlanta. Ya'll think so?

Old 07-18-2008, 11:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Another thing to consider, if you lean a little more to the right culturally and politcally, you might feel more at home in East Cobb, if you are more centrist or left leaning, go with Dunwoody. Not that Dunwoody is liberal as such but that Cobb is that much more a bastion for conservatives in Metro Atlanta. Ya'll think so?
East Cobb, maybe. I don't see much of that in south Cobb. It seems like the NE corner of the county is an island of religious and political conservatism, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it certainly isn't me.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
East Cobb, maybe. I don't see much of that in south Cobb. It seems like the NE corner of the county is an island of religious and political conservatism, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it certainly isn't me.
I would say that East Cobb is more fiscally and politically conservative...not as religious as people might think.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 AM

91 posts, read 344,335 times
I think that in 15 years, Perimeter will resemble Buckhead now, buckhead will look like midtown now, and midtown will look like a dense downtown area. Alpharetta will resemble Perimeter today.

I think when another condo craze hits, a lot of those apartments in Perimeter will be converted to condos or torn down, just like what happened in Buckhead in the middle of the decade.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:40 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
I think that in 15 years, Perimeter will resemble Buckhead now, buckhead will look like midtown now, and midtown will look like a dense downtown area. Alpharetta will resemble Perimeter today.

I think when another condo craze hits, a lot of those apartments in Perimeter will be converted to condos or torn down, just like what happened in Buckhead in the middle of the decade.
I think your assessment is dead-on.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I would agree with this statement.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post

I will say that this is exactly the concern which drove much of the vote for Dunwoody cityhood last week to pass 80-20. Dekalb has been trying to bolster it's biggest revenue base by pouring more and more density into the Perimeter area, despite much opposition from the Dunwoody HOA. With the police force being priority number one, I would say second on the agenda was to get a grip on all this multi-family development. Obviously, as decades go by and Atlanta continues it's path to megalopolis, more intense housing may be a reality, but I think the community wants to have more "self-determination" over the quality and quantity that goes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta