Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM

454 posts, read 821,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Long-term parking at all stations are cheaper than the airport. The only thing that annoys me is luggage in the aisles or blocking doors. There are places for luggage on all trains.
Yeah a lot of the riders with luggage have no train etiquette. Amazing how rude they are with a bag on a second seat when there are no seats to sit on.

In NYC or London if you did that you would get put straight pretty qucik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Yeah a lot of the riders with luggage have no train etiquette. Amazing how rude they are with a bag on a second seat when there are no seats to sit on.

In NYC or London if you did that you would get put straight pretty qucik
I have wanted to so many times, but I do not want those people to think that people who ride MARTA are rude and never ride the train again or think poorly of those on the train. I mean no one wants to steal those people's clothes. I try and remember that we are in the south and have manners, no matter how much those people have no train etiquette. There should be a YouTube video on train etiquette!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
I have wanted to so many times, but I do not want those people to think that people who ride MARTA are rude and never ride the train again or think poorly of those on the train.
That's the problem with so-called "Southern Hopspitality." It's basically an invitation for others to walk all over everyone else. You are considered the rude one of you ask someone to stop doing something that is actually rude.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Long-term parking at all stations are cheaper than the airport. The only thing that annoys me is luggage in the aisles or blocking doors. There are places for luggage on all trains.
But not many. And there are even fewer when the train is crowded during rush hour.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
I like this one that I found on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21124725@N00/3274639142/

Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I like this one that I found on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21124725@N00/3274639142/
Am I the only one that wishes MARTA's maps would have this London Underground style...

instead of the current map design?

Although, in fairness, they sure do look better than those ugly orange and blue maps:

Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 PM

787 posts, read 968,809 times
That void to the north west just looks bad.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 PM

7,356 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Well, this isn't really expansion, but it's a neat map anyways and probably fits best here. It's a track schematic of the system.
world.nycsubway.org: MARTA Track Map
The only two omissions (due to it being an old map) are the lack of a crossover at North Springs, and the track to the Armour Yard. Of course the yard trackage itself is omitted for clarity.

Ok to make at least part of this post 100% on-topic, I'll post an idea for an expension, though I've mentioned it before, it's buried deep in another thread. Basically this expansion is for a route from Lenox to Five Points simply to provide extra frequencies in the core segment. From the track map, you can see why it has to be Lenox-Five Points, those are the only two good places with pocket tracks, unless you want to deadhead from Arts Center to Lindbergh to use its pocket track. You couldn't run revenue to Lindbergh, because you end up tying up the main track instead of shuffling off into a pocket track. Scheduling becomes a bit difficult. The first option is equally dividing the core frequency so you have trains about every 3 minutes, but then you'd run a lopsided schedule outside this between Five Points and the airport with headways of 3 and 6 minutes. The second option, is to keep the Red and Gold trains as they are, and make the core service the lopsided headways, which is still unattractive. The most attractive option, and also the most expensive, is to run the core service at double headways (5 minutes for the line itself) which puts the Lenox-Five Points headway at 2.5 minutes. The technology should allow this, WMATA was theoretically capable of 90 second headways (40 trains per hour), so 24 trains per hour should be doable given the similar systems. This is attractive for simply making MARTA an option for short trips within this core area as the wait won't be more than it takes to go from the faregates to the platform.

Ok, I'm done for now, but I'll post my own physical expansion plan later.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 PM

304 posts, read 324,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
That void to the north west just looks bad.
I was going to post the same thing. It's almost painful how simple it would be to add feeder lines to fill in the Northwest and far North East areas, where most of the population influx has taken place. Most of the infrastructure is there for light rail lines with a commuter station hub in each region. Would actually be more cost effective than widening roads, not to mention more environmentally beneficial.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Am I the only one that wishes MARTA's maps would have this London Underground style... instead of the current map design?
I definitely don't wish that. Ours is more to scale, has highways for geographical reference, and shows a lot more information about the stations. There are a lot of lines on the Underground map that split in two, and it's not clear where you're actually going to end up.

Our map is much clearer. Of course, our system is also a lot simpler. Apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta