Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
And again nothing coming to Cobb.....I mean a stop at the Cumberland exhange would be so popular.....sigh.....
I'm sure MARTA would love to expand into Cobb. Would Cobb county allow a rail station, and be willing to pay into MARTA as Dekalb and Fulton do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,941 times
Quote:
And again nothing coming to Cobb.....I mean a stop at the Cumberland exhange would be so popular.....sigh.....
I would peg a Cumberland station about as busy as the Dunwoody station. So many corporate campuses right there and a mall to boot. It would definitely generate traffic. I'm sure Cobb would probably make that station their primary transfer point rather than Arts Center as it is now. Plus, with the light rail proposal for Cobb Pkwy, people could easily head up from downtown to as far as Town Center in Kennesaw linking KSU to the core via public transit without so much as getting on a bus.

It would be so much more convenient!

But alas, without any sort of existing line that even remotely heads up that way, it would be very costly which is why Marta never gets it done I'm sure.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,109,022 times
Cobb County is submitting its own LRT proposal that includes a Cumberland station and links to Arts Center. Gwinnett's proposal includes an LRT line running from Norcross to the Gwinnett Arena. MARTA probably included the extension of the Gold Line to link up with the Gwinnett. Cobb and Gwinnett are not anti-transit--they are anti-MARTA, and rightly so. They know that they would do a better job managing transit than the stars over at MARTA.

The only proposals out of MARTA's that make sense are the Gold Line extension and the line to Emory. MARTA still hasn't realized that Linbergh, and not Five Points, better serves as a hub for the region. The center of Atlanta has moved northward since the East-West line was planned, so any extension of it is simply poor planning.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:12 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree! I am constantly awed by the amazing things people come up with here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm sure MARTA would love to expand into Cobb. Would Cobb county allow a rail station, and be willing to pay into MARTA as Dekalb and Fulton do?
To think the citizens just approved the SPLOST again, why not? It would be in their best interests. It could really alleviate some congestion and it could be a huge bonus to business, hotels, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I would peg a Cumberland station about as busy as the Dunwoody station. So many corporate campuses right there and a mall to boot. It would definitely generate traffic. I'm sure Cobb would probably make that station their primary transfer point rather than Arts Center as it is now. Plus, with the light rail proposal for Cobb Pkwy, people could easily head up from downtown to as far as Town Center in Kennesaw linking KSU to the core via public transit without so much as getting on a bus.

It would be so much more convenient!

But alas, without any sort of existing line that even remotely heads up that way, it would be very costly which is why Marta never gets it done I'm sure.
Great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Cobb County is submitting its own LRT proposal that includes a Cumberland station and links to Arts Center. Gwinnett's proposal includes an LRT line running from Norcross to the Gwinnett Arena. MARTA probably included the extension of the Gold Line to link up with the Gwinnett. Cobb and Gwinnett are not anti-transit--they are anti-MARTA, and rightly so. They know that they would do a better job managing transit than the stars over at MARTA.

The only proposals out of MARTA's that make sense are the Gold Line extension and the line to Emory. MARTA still hasn't realized that Linbergh, and not Five Points, better serves as a hub for the region. The center of Atlanta has moved northward since the East-West line was planned, so any extension of it is simply poor planning.
I agree Lindbergh is now more of the center and I would prefer it to 5 points.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM

You know I would love to have Lindbergh better serve the metro area! It would make things more convenient for me because that's my primary station however, according to the Concept 3 map, it looks like the region has big plans for the Armour yard instead but honestly, I don't know if anyone is still using that map for anything anymore.

Lindbergh certainly has developed around that station too. I think more lines would generate more traffic and lead to better infill between Midtown and the Buckhead financial district.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:

To think the citizens just approved the SPLOST again, why not? It would be in their best interests. It could really alleviate some congestion and it could be a huge bonus to business, hotels, etc.

I agree Lindbergh is now more of the center and I would prefer it to 5 points.
I would love to see Cobb (and Gwinnett) vote on it. Even if the vote failed, I'd still like to see it.

I'd also like to see MORE hubs. Why Lindberg instead of Five Points, and not Lindbgerg in addition to Five Points?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
The property owners in the Cumberland Mall area are very much for a rail line. They have some business tenants who won't consider them without rail access.

We really do need to figure out a way to get MARTA there rather than a light rail line that forces everyone to transfer. Maybe just that commercial area joins MARTA and not the whole county. Better is a total restructure of MARTA so that Gwinnet, Cobb, Clayton, Fulton and Dekalb are together in the same transit system, but that could take decades to sort out politically.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The property owners in the Cumberland Mall area are very much for a rail line. They have some business tenants who won't consider them without rail access.

We really do need to figure out a way to get MARTA there rather than a light rail line that forces everyone to transfer. Maybe just that commercial area joins MARTA and not the whole county. Better is a total restructure of MARTA so that Gwinnet, Cobb, Clayton, Fulton and Dekalb are together in the same transit system, but that could take decades to sort out politically.
^That is why Gov. Barnes formed GRTA, with the plan to eventually be THE transit agency for the entire metro.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

I agree it needs to be unified and simple/easy to use. MARTA in Cobb would also help with home prices, it would make the area more attractive with mass transit readily available.

Looking at Brookhaven/Perimeter, they have Marta and the area is wonderful! I think Cobb residents need to visit these areas to see how a marriage with MARTA would be great.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^That is why Gov. Barnes formed GRTA, with the plan to eventually be THE transit agency for the entire metro.
That doesn't roll off the tongue at all! How are we supposed to pronounce it? "Gertuh"?

Sounds like a hick trying to pronounce "Gertrude".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta