Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Argh, this is so frustrating because the commuter rail plan GDOT has for the Atlanta metro (you can find a map on their website) would be the most bang for our money. It's a lot less expensive to build, trains don't have to run every 15-20 minutes ALL DAY long so operating expenses are lower, and you can reach pretty much every quadrant of the metro area so almost everyone will have access to it. To build out the entire system, it would probably cost $1 to $1.5 billion... that is the cost of the HOT lane system they want to build on I-75 in Cobb County and you still are going to have to pay a toll to use the new lanes. Also, the 2012 transit tax will generate $7-8 billion over its life of 10 years... this commuter rail system won't even cost half of that amount! Compare that to the HOT lane system they want to build which would cost something like $16 billion! So frustrating this state can't get it together and people here are so stubborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Argh, this is so frustrating because the commuter rail plan GDOT has for the Atlanta metro (you can find a map on their website) would be the most bang for our money. It's a lot less expensive to build, trains don't have to run every 15-20 minutes ALL DAY long so operating expenses are lower, and you can reach pretty much every quadrant of the metro area so almost everyone will have access to it. To build out the entire system, it would probably cost $1 to $1.5 billion... that is the cost of the HOT lane system they want to build on I-75 in Cobb County and you still are going to have to pay a toll to use the new lanes. Also, the 2012 transit tax will generate $7-8 billion over its life of 10 years... this commuter rail system won't even cost half of that amount! Compare that to the HOT lane system they want to build which would cost something like $16 billion! So frustrating this state can't get it together and people here are so stubborn.
I totally agree with you.

I think a commuter rail system (with the Multi-Modal Transportation Hub Downtown at Five Points) should be the ultimate priority.

I would call our commuter rail system CRONG.
(Commuter Rail of North Georgia)

CRONG...faster than a silver bullet!

(CRONG would have silver trains--and would be designated in silver on transit maps.)

Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I'm a commuter rail booster to...so don't take this the wrong way... I just want to keep the facts clean and honest. I think commuter rail is the single biggest impact we can do to help our area in the immediate future.

Commuter rail is usually much cheaper to implement, however the operational costs per passenger are actually much higher. The difference is it moves people further and usually people with the ability to pay higher fares to ride as well (Someone commuting from Lawrenceville to Atlanta is probably already saving $5 in gas going just one way alone... besides the convenience). The other positive factor is its the cheapest way to provide transit to far off low density areas, even if it does cost.

A good commuter rail system in Atlanta will not move near as many people as the existing HRT system, however it strategically removes people who commute long distances (eliminating traffic on long lengths of roadway) and it moves people only at peak times when the roadways are most congested.

The cheapest operationally is a well constructed HRT lines, which attract drive in commuters, and neighbor more dense areas to attract high ridership. However, the downside..... muuuch more expensive to build by a long shot.

The difference is probably in the ballpark of $7-9/passenger (commuter rail) and $2-4/passenger (HRT).

However, despite the need for subsidies to operate it, it is still a cheaper long term option. The construction and operations cost of 20 miles of commuter rail given the amount of passengers it can handle is still cheaper than the construction and maintenance of an extra lane constructed on already overbuilt congested freeway often bordering very expensive land to buy for ROW.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you.

I think a commuter rail system (with the Multi-Modal Transportation Hub Downtown at Five Points) should be the ultimate priority.

I would call our commuter rail system CRONG.
(Commuter Rail of North Georgia)

CRONG...faster than a silver bullet!

(CRONG would have silver trains--and would be designated in silver on transit maps.)
I can see/hear the anti transit slogans now:

CRONG is WRONG.

You have a lot of good ideas, Aries, but this one is a stinker.

For the record, I'm VERY MUCH in support of mass-transit in all forms.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

You have a lot of good ideas, Aries, but this one is a stinker.

CROGA = Commuter Rail of Greater Atlanta???

GACR = Greater Atlanta Commuter Rail???

CRAS = Commuter Rail of the American South???

CROUG = Commuter Rail of Upper Georgia???

Help...!

Last edited by aries4118; 01-06-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Don't feel bad. Your batting average is still very high.

Crong - - the sound of cheap metal being pelted with dirt clods.

Probably not the best word to associate with a transit system which will be made of metal.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Don't feel bad. Your batting average is still very high.

Crong - - the sound of cheap metal being pelted with dirt clods.

Probably not the best word to associate with a transit system which will be made of metal.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
CRONG sounds like some fictional transit system on The Simpsons.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
CRONG sounds like some fictional transit system on The Simpsons.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 AM

88 posts, read 183,621 times
SMOG-
Spreading
Marta
Options for
Georgians
Let's ride the smog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta