Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
That doesn't roll off the tongue at all! How are we supposed to pronounce it? "Gertuh"?

Sounds like a hick trying to pronounce "Gertrude".
Greta.

You've never heard anyone say this on the news, or in political debates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Greta.

You've never heard anyone say this on the news, or in political debates?
Can't say I have. I've seen GRTA in print but the local news just always says "The Regional Transit Authority".

Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM
JPD

Quote:
Can't say I have. I've seen GRTA in print but the local news just always says "The Regional Transit Authority".
Maybe I just remember hearing it a lot years ago. I was a journalism student when Roy Barnes was governor, so I might've been hyper-aware of this sort of thing.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,284 times
They should just keep it MARTA but have the R stand for regional.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:21 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,499 times
Quote:
You know I would love to have Lindbergh better serve the metro area! It would make things more convenient for me because that's my primary station however, according to the Concept 3 map, it looks like the region has big plans for the Armour yard instead but honestly, I don't know if anyone is still using that map for anything anymore.

Lindbergh certainly has developed around that station too. I think more lines would generate more traffic and lead to better infill between Midtown and the Buckhead financial district.
I think it would be convenient for a lot of people. It's close to both the Midtown and Buckhead job centers, which would better serve commuters.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
Rename it Grendal....and the train Beowulf

Old 03-31-2011, 02:10 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
I have to admit... I have always gone out of my way not to say Greta and would say G-R-T-A. I just don't like the sound of Greta. It sounds like the inbred cousin of Gretna in NOLA.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I have to admit... I have always gone out of my way not to say Greta and would say G-R-T-A. I just don't like the sound of Greta. It sounds like the inbred cousin of Gretna in NOLA.
I have never, nor will I ever in the future say NOLA.

Same goes for Frisco.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,172 times
All I can say is if the residents of Gwinnett or Cobb do not allow MARTA in, then they better stop their complaining about traffic. IMO, MARTA should be in Fulton, DeKalb, Douglas, Cobb, Clayton, Fayette, Henry and Gwinnett counties. No ifs, ands or buts about it. With a metro population over 5 million there is no excuse why all of these counties shouldn't have MARTA. I wish the "It will bring crime to the area" crowd would just relocate to Forsyth county already and let the progressive individuals in the other areas move on with making things better for ourselves.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Gotta say, this has been one of the better transit threads I've seen here in awhile. Post after post of good ideas, and very little transit-bashing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Oooh. Teh trains!

I love every one of the proposals except for the I-20 busway (more on that in a minute). I've long believed that Emory needs a rail line--hell, they've got two right-of-ways right through the campus, and both routes are fairly straight connections to existing MARTA lines.

Good to see that they're thinking about extending the Doraville line as heavy rail for at least another stop or two. Concept 3 had proposed one more stop and then transferring to light rail. That sounds feasible. In either case, the line could follow that freight railway for quite some distance into Gwinnett County.

The blue line (east-west line) is too short, IMO, and it's good to see proposals for extensions. If nothing else, they really need to build the MLK station, which has been proposed for years but never got off the ground. I-285 on the west side has long needed a park-and-ride station, and that part of the line doesn't have a long-term parking deck. This station could fulfill both.

As for that busway, what's wrong with the existing lanes? That part of I-20 rarely backs up until you get close to downtown. Maybe construct an HOV flyover ramp or something, but a whole new set of lanes might be overkill.

Yeah it would have been nice to see a new line up 75 to Cumberland, but that's going to be a big investment, and it would go into Cobb County. But hey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
The projects that make the most sense are the Lindbergh to Emory line and extending the Gold line to the Gwinnett County border. I think Gwinnett should scrap the light rail line and fight for a heavy rail extension of MARTA. It just makes more sense for them and it would be seamless (wouldn't have to switch from light rail to MARTA). I can see why Cobb wants to go with light rail because none of MARTA's existing lines are near the Cobb border, so something completely new makes sense. And why this isn't even being considered is beyond me:

Right before 285, build a new line that breaks off the Gold line route and follows 285 to the Perimeter where it reconnects with the Red line at Sandy Springs station. This would allow people to commute from suburb to suburb without having to go through Downtown.

Traffic on I-20 ITP is pretty light and I don't see the point in spending $1 billion to build a mass transit line down the middle, so that's a waste. I'd rather see them reallocate that money to my idea above which makes SENSE.

Finally, I'm disappointed there isn't a North line extension to Roswell/Alpharetta. I'd also like to see station upgrades/renovations (certain stations are very ugly and uninviting and could use a fresh new look).
You know that Concept 3 had a light rail corridor across the top end perimeter, right? I think there could be some long-term potential there.

I agree so much about the look of our stations. The brutalism is just awful. Sigh, if every one of our underground stations could look like Peachtree Center Station. And what is up with all the concrete, concrete, concrete? Fewer columns, fewer overhanging structures, more OPENNESS. Like the DC metro--a very aesthetically-designed system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Transportation proposals ready region for change *| ajc.com

Someone should send in our suggestions! I'm going to send mine!
Ooh! TY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta