Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Agreed.

It's this pervasive mindset of wanting something for nothing that created this huge nationwide budget deficit in the first place.
Goodness people... I only asked because I heard Dave Ramsey say that he would never live in a state in which he would have to pay state income taxes. Then I thought, "I wonder in what states does that leave him to live?" Then I thought, "I wonder if any of those states have cities similar to Atlanta? Let me ask the people on City-Data..."

It's just that simple... It's not that deep folks...
I'm not sure how that was conscrued as "How can I beat the system and pimp the state for it's resourses." Sheesh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
You asked the initial question without adding this latest context in mind. What did you expect, some softball Martha Stewart-type answer? Booooring!

You've pretty much left it all to speculation, and posting comments is pretty much a buzzkill if one doesn't do some speculatin'. It's half the fun of city-data!

Another thing: Why ya only pickin' on the Acid, eh? I wasn't the only one who was puttin' the screws to this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Goodness people... I only asked because I heard Dave Ramsey say that he would never live in a state in which he would have to pay state income taxes. Then I thought, "I wonder in what states does that leave him to live?" Then I thought, "I wonder if any of those states have cities similar to Atlanta? Let me ask the people on City-Data..."

It's just that simple... It's not that deep folks...
I'm not sure how that was conscrued as "How can I beat the system and pimp the state for it's resourses." Sheesh...

Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
Probably the Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, and Tampa areas
As somebody from Tampa, please explain this one...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You asked the initial question without adding this latest context in mind. What did you expect, some softball Martha Stewart-type answer? Booooring!

You've pretty much left it all to speculation, and posting comments is pretty much a buzzkill if one doesn't do some speculatin'. It's half the fun of city-data!

Another thing: Why ya only pickin' on the Acid, eh? I wasn't the only one who was puttin' the screws to this topic.
I understand. I'm sure we've been reading each others comments on here for quite some time and I respect your insight and opinions.... Just wanted to add some clarification before the motive or tone of the thread was incorrectly interpreted.

The only reason I quoted your response was because you were cosigning RainyRainyDay's and I was too lazy to add both quotes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Good to see this pointed out. The title of this thread was bothering me. Some people seem to believe that government services are or can be provided by magic. If there's a state government, it's being funded, and the source of that funding is taxes of one kind or another. There's no such thing as "no state taxes".

Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
I understand. I'm sure we've been reading each others comments on here for quite some time and I respect your insight and opinions.... Just wanted to add some clarification before the motive or tone of the thread was incorrectly interpreted.

The only reason I quoted your response was because you were cosigning RainyRainyDay's and I was too lazy to add both quotes...
Huh, so now it's my fault? I was just co-signing Neil's comment!

Sorry about the misinterpretation, Equinox, although I don't think anyone is really upset here. My interpretation of your thread was probably influenced a bit by some recent threads by yet another member (who doesn't need to be dragged in here by name, I think, as he's just a recent example of a broader phenomenon). Anyway, other-member is planning a move from one of those high-tax states and has on various threads expressed great enthusiasm for the low taxes and freedom of free enterprise here in Georgia. But then, there's another thread on which he's not quite so happy because it looks like his medical insurance is going to be pretty costly down here. He seemed a little surprised that Georgia doesn't have a low-priced universal (not means-tested) health insurance scheme for children, like his current state offers.

Well ... you can probably envisage my line of thinking now. Even when the product is government, it's broadly true that you-get-what-you-pay-for. I heartily agree with Snake - what's with all these people who want to pay little or no taxes but have a full menu of government services available to them? It was in this context that I thought "not another one" on seeing the title of this thread.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Also, don't forget many of these states make up for the loss of revenue by increasing taxes in other ways.
Tennessee heing a prime example.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 PM

262 posts, read 637,503 times
I think Dave Ramsey is great for advice about getting out of debt, but when he starts politicin', I have to shut him off.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 PM

357 posts, read 783,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
As somebody from Tampa, please explain this one...
both cities are spread out and have bad traffic.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 AM

51 posts, read 101,882 times
Quote:
I only asked because I heard Dave Ramsey say that he would never live in a state in which he would have to pay state income taxes.
Dave Ramsey lives in Franklin, TN.

Of course his main objective to state income tax is that it makes YOU in less control of your own finances.

With no state income tax you have the option of avoiding things that are heavily taxed, thereby taking control of your own finances, maybe even getting out of debt if that's your problem.

It has nothing to do with tax evasion, but it has everything to do with being able to manage your finances on your own terms.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
both cities are spread out and have bad traffic.
Have you ever actually been to Tampa? Because there's no comparison here. No, Florida doesn't have a state tax. However, we also have no downtown (it's mostly business), and if you think Atlanta is spread out, you'd die down here. The traffic is bad there because of population while the traffic is bad down here because of refusal to expand roads. I could probably name 1000 differences off the top of my head... Which makes me wonder about the other cities listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta