Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 AM

262 posts, read 637,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^"Near Decatur" can be the difference between night and day, trust me. If they were within the City Limits of Decatur, I would be completely shocked by their experience. Everything positive you have heard about Decatur is true.
Meh, I don't know if I agree with this. I've lived on both the north side and the south side of Decatur (outside the city limits). I tend to meet people from all over at playgroups, preschools, the jumpy place, the Y, etc. There are some jerky exceptions everywhere, including CoD, but most people I meet both in the city proper and in the areas surrounding it are cool. I'm really shocked and saddened that the OP has had such a tough time. I do think that a two-mommy family would be welcomed with open arms pretty much everywhere i hang out, but I understand why they would want to move on after having had a bad experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 AM

222 posts, read 588,036 times
Check out Oakhurst park!

I second Kirkwood, Ormewood, and East Atlanta Village too.

I am also a fan of West End and Westview and am seriously considering that area. It is much more transitional but has a really strong, really liberal community committed to improving their neighborhoods. You can also get a great house for well under 150K!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM

461 posts, read 1,069,389 times
Right, there are other areas that would be as accepting for sure as people have mentioned already in this thread, but if COD isn't accepting enough for you, it's going to be hard to find any area that's more accepting I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
Meh, I don't know if I agree with this. I've lived on both the north side and the south side of Decatur (outside the city limits). I tend to meet people from all over at playgroups, preschools, the jumpy place, the Y, etc. There are some jerky exceptions everywhere, including CoD, but most people I meet both in the city proper and in the areas surrounding it are cool. I'm really shocked and saddened that the OP has had such a tough time. I do think that a two-mommy family would be welcomed with open arms pretty much everywhere i hang out, but I understand why they would want to move on after having had a bad experience.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
I know of several same sex couples with kids in my neck of the woods but it would be hard to swing a house for $150K-ish.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 38,029 times
I work in East Atlanta and live in Kirkwood, so either would be a great option! You may be able to find a home in the $150s a bit easier in East Atlanta, but I would try to stay as close to the Village as possible (great for resale). The schools aren't quite as good as many of the other nearby neighborhoods, but within the next 5 years they should look completely different.

Kirkwood is also a fantastic option. Toomer Elementary is pulling in some great test scores and there are plenty of couples, families and business owners who are gay. The best section of Kirkwood is on the Oakhurst side (north of Hosea Williams), but the other side is pretty good too! Here is a cute, fully renovated 2bed / 2 bath for $139K and a 3 bed / 2 bath for $150K

Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,249,535 times
Well they didn't say which part of Decatur. Decatur covers a HUGE area and I have a feeling that they were not in the city limits of Decatur as well because it is indeed so expensive. There are some parts of Decatur where I can see a lesbian family not being accepted. Its sad but true. Yeah I like East Atlanta and Kirkwood. I mean I love Inman Park for a family too but not gonna happen for $150K perhaps a small condo? I don't know.

Either way I wish the family the best of luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,139 times
Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions!

I think I should clarify my earlier post. We currently live in Avondale Estates. I should have been more specific rather than simply saying near Decatur. We actually left City of Decatur (after having lived there for many years) for Avondale with the hopes that it would be a good fit. Unfortunately we've had some scary incidents both in Avondale and City of Decatur that have made us uncomfortable enough to want to stay away from these areas. Especially with plans to start a family, I want to make sure that the neighborhood we choose is safe for us. We had heard Avondale was a good choice, but after being here for a few years we've learned that most of our nearby neighbors are quite socially conservative and it's been made very clear to us that we're not welcome here. Some friends of ours (also a lesbian couple) are having similar issues in City of Decatur. From what I've heard Decatur is getting more socially conservative and less accepting of diversity. I'm sure it depends on your location, and we know that no neighborhood is going to be perfect. But for now we're weighing our options and looking into different areas.

Thanks again for the advice. I had not considered Kirkwood, but I'll have to do some more research on the area and see if it's a good fit.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarab28 View Post
We actually left City of Decatur (after having lived there for many years) for Avondale with the hopes that it would be a good fit. Unfortunately we've had some scary incidents both in Avondale and City of Decatur that have made us uncomfortable enough to want to stay away from these areas. Especially with plans to start a family, I want to make sure that the neighborhood we choose is safe for us. We had heard Avondale was a good choice, but after being here for a few years we've learned that most of our nearby neighbors are quite socially conservative and it's been made very clear to us that we're not welcome here. Some friends of ours (also a lesbian couple) are having similar issues in City of Decatur.
I am sorry to hear that.

I sure wouldn't overlook Ormewood. As I mentioned earlier, we have some gay friends with children over there and they are very happy with the area.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I sure wouldn't overlook Ormewood. As I mentioned earlier, we have some gay friends with children over there and they are very happy with the area.
I'll definitely check out Ormewood Park. I've heard good things about it and it seems to be a good fit for our budget. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:28 PM

388 posts, read 1,126,821 times
I just want to say that I love lesbians.

Good luck in the home search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta