Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 AM

14 posts, read 30,202 times

Advertisements

Hello

This is my first post!!!! I'm moving to Georgia next spring and I need as much information as you can possible provide.

I will be transfering to GSA's Region 4 (Southeast Sunbelt) for those that don't know this is downtown.

I'm looking to purchase a house 200K and below. I really don't care what city or county I live in, but I do want to be close to the marta b/c I understand the traffic is terrible. I would also like to be close to a Whole Foods, no more than 25 miles. I don't have any children yet, but I would like to in an area that has nice schools.

In PG county, Park and Planning offers recreational classes the for county. I would also like to know if some type of programs is offered in Georgia.

If you could recommend any good cities, schools in that area and recreational classes and good shopping it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishaboo View Post
Hello

This is my first post!!!! I'm moving to Georgia next spring and I need as much information as you can possible provide.

I will be transfering to GSA's Region 4 (Southeast Sunbelt) for those that don't know this is downtown.

I'm looking to purchase a house 200K and below. I really don't care what city or county I live in, but I do want to be close to the marta b/c I understand the traffic is terrible. I would also like to be close to a Whole Foods, no more than 25 miles. I don't have any children yet, but I would like to in an area that has nice schools.

In PG county, Park and Planning offers recreational classes the for county. I would also like to know if some type of programs is offered in Georgia.

If you could recommend any good cities, schools in that area and recreational classes and good shopping it would be greatly appreciated.
Hey!!! I moved from DC so I totally understand where you are coming from. Atlanta is very very different from the Dc area. It’s actually so different that I advise you to rent a place here for at least 6 months before buying a place. Marta is very limited; if you look at the post below about Marta it will give you a feel of the differing opinions about Marta. You will not get a Single Family House near Marta, is a safe area for under 200k. You may be able to get a smaller townhouse. When we first moved here we rented a place in Buckhead near Fresh Market( its a lot like whole Foods) for 800.00 a month.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Hey!!! I moved from DC so I totally understand where you are coming from. Atlanta is very very different from the Dc area. It’s actually so different that I advise you to rent a place here for at least 6 months before buying a place. Marta is very limited; if you look at the post below about Marta it will give you a feel of the differing opinions about Marta. You will not get a Single Family House near Marta, is a safe area for under 200k. You may be able to get a smaller townhouse. When we first moved here we rented a place in Buckhead near Fresh Market( its a lot like whole Foods) for 800.00 a month.

Well I don't mind driving to the marta. But even if I did would it be worth my wild to even factor the marta into my commute or would it be better to drive. I don't mind living further out as long as I'm close by everything I need once I get off work. What cities would you suggest???

Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,422 times
You should rent in Inman Park/Old 4th Ward if you want great access to Whole Foods & other stores, recreation (Piedmont Park/Path Trails/Freedom Park) and close to Marta. I happen to work downtown near your fed govt building and I believe Inman Park would be a good move for 6 months until you get the lay of the land. You would be able to leave your car at home or in the MArta parkign lot and arrive at work in less than 5 minutes. I have even walked from Inman Park to downtown and it only takes 30 minutes. You would be close to the Inman Park Marta station and there are brand new luxury apartment buildings located in the vicinity you can take a look at.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 PM

16 posts, read 60,680 times
Good luck on the move! I would also suggest you look at the Decatur/Lithonia area. It's similar in some ways to PG county. :0)

Funny, you mention Region 4. We may be transferring from Region 4 (Catapult) up to the central office in DC by the end of the year. Small world!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niab View Post
Good luck on the move! I would also suggest you look at the Decatur/Lithonia area. It's similar in some ways to PG county. :0)

Funny, you mention Region 4. We may be transferring from Region 4 (Catapult) up to the central office in DC by the end of the year. Small world!
Those are the areas that I'm looking in. I really like Decatur I was in GA in April rode through there town and quite impressed.

Very small world...........I'm currently located in Central Office. I'm with Region 11, but my office supports the White House so we have to be closer to them so that why we are in this building.

How is Region 4? There are two employees up her that used to work down there and they have nothing but good things to say. Is that still true?????

Old 07-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
You should rent in Inman Park/Old 4th Ward if you want great access to Whole Foods & other stores, recreation (Piedmont Park/Path Trails/Freedom Park) and close to Marta. I happen to work downtown near your fed govt building and I believe Inman Park would be a good move for 6 months until you get the lay of the land. You would be able to leave your car at home or in the MArta parkign lot and arrive at work in less than 5 minutes. I have even walked from Inman Park to downtown and it only takes 30 minutes. You would be close to the Inman Park Marta station and there are brand new luxury apartment buildings located in the vicinity you can take a look at.

Great Thanks. I will defiantely look into Inman Park!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta