Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:45 PM

59 posts, read 360,276 times

Advertisements

How do I go about getting my Georgia License plates? Do I have to wait until my Ohio plates expire or can I go ahead and get them switched?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 04:04 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,343,755 times
Legally you have to register your car within 30 days of moving here. They are supposed to fine you if you don't but I'm not sure how often they do this. They actually asked me when I moved here but others I have talked to didn't have any problem. You should be able to find all the information you need here:

MVD | Registration Index Motor Vehicle Division (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/registration/ - broken link)

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:21 PM

612 posts, read 2,779,505 times
Make sure you do it within 30 - 45 days of changing over your insurance. We didn't and are having a nightmare trying to our cars registered.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM

642 posts, read 2,220,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
Make sure you do it within 30 - 45 days of changing over your insurance. We didn't and are having a nightmare trying to our cars registered.
How so DLH. I'm asking because I havent changed that or my license yet.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,843 times
In Georgia, I believe you're suppose to change your license/tag within 30 days of address change, so I'm guessing it's that with new residents.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 AM

894 posts, read 4,351,131 times
We moved here in January, our car insurance was changed immediately. My tags were just renewed in Florida in December, my husbands were due end of this past April. We were riding around with our FL tags. In March we changed our driver's licenses, and April went to change our tags. They were so nice, no problems and no fines! Just my experience..

Old 05-30-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
How so DLH. I'm asking because I havent changed that or my license yet.
Apparently when you change your insurance to Georgia from another state it goes into a 'system' for 30 to 45 days. Georgia DMV has to be able to pull it up in order to register the car. We waited longer than that and then called the insurance company and told them and no one knew what we were talking about. Finally found a supervisor who said they would put it back into the system after my husband changed his license over. My husband went to change his license and apparently a ticket of his from 19 years ago is in the system as not being paid when he was in the Marines so they denied him a license. We paid the ticket (again, he said he paid it 19 years ago) and then when they got the money they suspended his license. We had to get an attorney in NC, where all this happened, to get it taken care of. Even the attorney said the ticket would have been paid because he went to Desert Storm after that and apparently the Marines check and take care of that stuff before you go.

LOL, hopefully this is an isolated scenario, it's the first nonsense I've run into since moving here. Part of it is my fault, but part is just a time and money waster. At least living in Florida primed us for dealing with this stuff, everything you tried to do in Florida had a similar scenario of time wasting.

Welcome to a day in the life of dealing with my husband.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 AM

Which is the closest office to Virginia Highlands?

Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 AM

Do you have to wait until you've lived in GA for 30 days before you can get a GA drivers license or can you do it right away?

Also, how can I do this since I work 8-5 monday-friday and the DMVs are only open 8-4:30 m-f?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgreer17 View Post
Do you have to wait until you've lived in GA for 30 days before you can get a GA drivers license or can you do it right away?

Also, how can I do this since I work 8-5 monday-friday and the DMVs are only open 8-4:30 m-f?
Driver Services Locations - DDS

Put in your zip code and it will give you locations and times. I think they are open Tues - Sat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta