Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 PM

957 posts, read 3,358,150 times

Advertisements

Buffalo,

what did think about the distance from Hartsfield International Airport? Kinda far huh? You have to check out the Lifetime Fitness in Johns Creek. It is probably one of the nicest health club I've ever seen.

You also need to check out the North Georgia Premium Outlet in Dawsonville

I am not sure if you like Korean BBQ, but near where your husband will be working, there are some really nice Korean restaurants on Pleasant Hill. (The heart of Atlanta's Korean town)

Are you getting a tour of Johns Creek Elementary? Please do share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:53 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,131 times
I think you could checkout Lake Windward. I was personally astounded to see a huge lake in the middle of Alpharetta! It seems like one of the more reasonable places to live. It is close to a lot of nice things (including good parks, ...). As I said before, the west-east traffic is not the worst thing in the northern suburbs. But it is the farthest for you. Go in the evening to drive around, and in the daytime rush hour checkout that traffic as much as possible.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 AM

416 posts, read 972,819 times
You picked a beautiful weekend to visit ATL!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,134 times
You may want to check out Horseshoe Bend.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,685 times
Default We are back! I just left a very lenghty synopsis of our trip under

another post answering questions from someone on S. Forsyth/N. Fulton golf so you can see more there if you'd like but we had a great time. EVERYONE was so friendly and we didn't see any crime! Imagine that?? ;-)

Mr. Panda- I'm afraid to say that we have ruled out St. Marlo. We did not like what the golf course had to offer for residents which is nothing. It is a public course and no special memberships for residents. Tee times would be hard to come by, there are no programs for kids or women or men for that matter. We did like the neighborhood and looked at a house in there twice but we have now decided we are not going to move there. I did have a tour scheduled for Johns Creek elementary but I called this morning to cancel it.

We looked at Wilson Elementary for St. Ives and Sharon Elementary for Laurel Springs. I think we will be moving to Laurel Springs 99%. We really love the area, the neighborhood, the golf club and the people. I can't tell you how many people we ran into that were so nice around there and we met a mom today at school while checking in at the front desk who lives in Laurel Springs and she gave me all of her contact information and really loves Laurel Springs.

I do feel like the airport is far but that is fine with us. We won't be traveling enough that it is a problem. My husband may have a little travel with work but besides that, the trips home or vacations do not make it a big deal.

ATL Golfer, Horseshoe Bend would be a bit far for his commute I'm afraid. He is 22 mins from work from Laurel Springs on a weekend day with no traffic but we feel it's doable during commute time. He'll go in early and just take a while longer to get home.

From GA- we did check out Windward but it is $42,500 to join, $730 monthly dues and $2500 annual food and beverage minimum. That, my friend, is ridiculous.

Esteban- I agree! It was wonderful weather and we really look forward to our move. Though it will be hard to leave our families behind, after this four day whirlwind, I know we will find a great community of people and great schools for our kids.

More to come I'm sure!

Justine

Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 PM

957 posts, read 3,358,150 times
Justine,

Thanks for sharing! I had a feeling that you would end up at Laurel Springs. To keep this thread REAL, can you also share couple of things that you've noticed to be an inconvenience or dislike from what you had in Buffalo?

I've already told you mine right? no airport in gwinnett, roads, unplanned sprawl, etc. I agree with you that people I've meet in Atlanta seem to be extremely friendly. Unlike places like LA & Chicago where families have roots of generations, Atlanta seems to have a lot transplants where many are looking for new friends and a good community.

I've never been to Laurel Springs, but do you take Old Atlanta or 141. I've noticed anything north of McGinnis Ferry and Old Atlanta feels extremely rural and undeveloped.

Last edited by mrpanda; 05-02-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 08:01 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
ATL Golfer, Horseshoe Bend would be a bit far for his commute I'm afraid. He is 22 mins from work from Laurel Springs on a weekend day with no traffic but we feel it's doable during commute time. He'll go in early and just take a while longer to get home.
Per Google Maps. Drives Times:

Horseshoe Bend to Gwinnett Place Mall = 14.8 miles - 31 Mins

Laurel Springs to Gwinnett Place Mall = Depending on route - 12.6 to 13.2 miles - 28 to 30 minutes.

If time is all you're worry about, it appears the difference is negligible. I have a friend who recently joined HB and it is a steal there right now. Said they dumped a lot of money into the course which is right on the Chattahoochee River. The pool and tennis is also very family oriented there...neighborhood is huge. From what I understand, decent schools as well (I think Roswell High is the district, not sure about Elem, Middle). It is definitely worth checking out at the very least imo.

I think Country Club of the South is doing great deals on membership's as well. Would be a slightly shorter commute I believe.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:10 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,685 times
Default Thanks ATL Golfer, I will have my husband take a run over

when he is down there in a few weeks and check it out. I'll look into the schools too. We are not ready to put any offers in on anything yet so we still have time and he plans to do a lot of commute checking and other research once he starts in two weeks. Appreciate it.

Mr Panda, yes Laurel Springs is only five minutes up the road from St. Marlo on Olde Atlanta. I do agree that some parts around the neighborhood seem like I'm way out in the country but when you come in from the other end, it is more developed. I'm still really unsure of the streets around there but my husband told me it is Olde Atlanta we were on today that we drove by St. Marlo first and then Laurel Springs. There are gates on all four sides of Laurel Springs and I have no idea what the other streets are but I think 141 is also one.

As for what I don't like? I don't know yet! I know I won't like the traffic but it was really fine on the weekend and we drove around during the day today and Friday and had no traffic to speak of. I know commute time will not be fun but we'll deal with it. I know I will miss buffalo food: beef on weck, pizza, real buffalo chicken wings, bison dip, weber's mustard, sahlens hot dogs but the good news is, I got my beer card at Taco Mac! And, the originators of that chain was from Buffalo so they have some fun items with names of local towns to remind me of home.

Justine

Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,062 times
Horseshoe Bend is in the Centenniel High School district.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:20 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Per Google Maps. Drives Times:

Horseshoe Bend to Gwinnett Place Mall = 14.8 miles - 31 Mins

Laurel Springs to Gwinnett Place Mall = Depending on route - 12.6 to 13.2 miles - 28 to 30 minutes.

If time is all you're worry about, it appears the difference is negligible. I have a friend who recently joined HB and it is a steal there right now. Said they dumped a lot of money into the course which is right on the Chattahoochee River. The pool and tennis is also very family oriented there...neighborhood is huge. From what I understand, decent schools as well (I think Roswell High is the district, not sure about Elem, Middle). It is definitely worth checking out at the very least imo.

I think Country Club of the South is doing great deals on membership's as well. Would be a slightly shorter commute I believe.
Great schools for Horseshoe Bend:

Centennial High
Holcomb Bridge Middle
River Eves Elementary

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta