Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
I didn't have a problem for the 2.50 raise on basic fare but $96 for a monthly pass?????

Are you on crack??

I think $70 is reasonable. When is MARTA going to realize that bleeding their customers isn't going to solve their money issues?
Assuming you rode it 20 round trips per month, that is $100. So seems like $96 is reasonable. If someone isn't going to ride it that much, they can do the math and pay per ride. No one is making them purchase a monthly pass. What the devil has crack got to do with second grade math?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times
Charging for parking is dumb too for Marta. Why not just keep driving to your destination anyway?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:30 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Assuming you rode it 20 round trips per month, that is $100. So seems like $96 is reasonable. If someone isn't going to ride it that much, they can do the math and pay per ride. No one is making them purchase a monthly pass. What the devil has crack got to do with second grade math?
Yeah seriously. He or she is okay with a rate hike to $2.50, but not a corresponding hike in the monthly pass? Monthly passes are typically around the equivalent cost of riding twice a day, five days a week. How you can be okay with a single ride hike and not a related monthly hike is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Charging for parking is dumb too for Marta. Why not just keep driving to your destination anyway?
Because many people may live significantly closer to a MARTA station than to their ultimate destination? Charging for providing a service! What silliness is this?!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
I think that many people are willing to pay a little more to drive rather than ride mass transit because of the extra convenience that comes with driving. It's worth the extra money to have the efficiency of your own vehicle.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Yup. And those folks won't take Marta until the cost of fuel outweighs the convenience of their car.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Charging for parking is dumb? How in heck do you expect MARTA to stay in business? How about if they didn't charge at all? Then they'd go out of business. Just contemplate that. Of course charging for parking isn't dumb, unless you want the taxpayers to pay for that, too, completely.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Yup. And those folks won't take Marta until the cost of fuel outweighs the convenience of their car.
...or, until mass transit is made so convenient that the advantages of driving are minimized. I doubt either is coming anytime soon.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
...or, until mass transit is made so convenient that the advantages of driving are minimized. I doubt either is coming anytime soon.
Unfortunately, I think you are right. I'd prefer it be the later than the former. Just don't think that our economy will ever be able to support such a massive public works program.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Don't forget that here in New York City, the MTA also owns and operates the bridges and tunnels (except the Port Authority state crossings), so they still make money off you whether you take the subway or drive. Most of their bridge crossings nowadays are $6.50 each way (a little less with ez-pass.)

You should have seen the public outcry up here last year when the MTA went from $2.00 to $2.25 (I think those were the figures) for a single subway ride. If you read the NY Post you would have thought that Bloomberg was personally walking into people's apartments and taking money out of their child's piggy banks. Of course if you read the NY Post you likely also need help putting your shoes on the proper feet in the morning and enjoy headlines where the letter S has cleverly been replaced with $...
NYC has a sales tax dedicated to the MTA that is part of an almost 9% sales tax, on top of a city income tax and state income tax. When you combine the two income taxes, the percentage of local income taxes for many NYC residents is over 10%. Then and as you indicated the TBTA collects a ton of tolls at tunnels and bridges, and the subway and bus fare is still higher than MARTA. Up until recently, NYC still had "two fare zones" in Queens and other areas where there were no free transfers between bus and subway.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times
You guys are acting nuts. If I have to pay $5 to park and $5 to ride I might as well drive. Gas is high but $10 still gives me more then enough gas to make a trip somewhere then have the convience of driving. You guys are trying to create a transit system for the rich or just the novelty using "you gotta pay for a service "as the excuse. Good luck pricing people out of transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta