Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,555 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the support. Yes, this is a dream, a big dream. But maybe money will come our way for a variety of reasons and used on variety of projects, including something like this above. The Midtown Alliance's Connector project seems like a great outlet for our ideas as well. They are holding meetings throughout the year; ideas are being proposed, but who knows when anything will happen. All I have to say, is good luck Atlanta. I love living here, and I hope the city only keeps getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Is having better connectivity between sides of the interstate be worth a $2+ billion (likely much more) investment? I love a nice park as much as the next guy, but seems like an awful waste of money in our state and country's fiscal situation.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM

725 posts, read 1,279,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Is having better connectivity between sides of the interstate be worth a $2+ billion (likely much more) investment? I love a nice park as much as the next guy, but seems like an awful waste of money in our state and country's fiscal situation.
It would also boost land values around the park. Alot of what is currently surface parkinglots could be redeveloped bringing in more tax revenue for the city. Simmilar to the effect centinial park had. The 2 billion is a high price, but givin what it could accomplish it could pay for itself in the long run.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
That's why I suggested to have a parkway (much like Freedom Pky) running down the top of it. That way you add capacity in addition to creating greenspace and connectivity.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
I like this board, but everyone comes up with these grand schemes of 200 mile MARTA rail networks, inefficient high speed rail to low need destinations like Macon, and massive projects like this, but no one ever suggests how to pay for these things. Get money from Washington seems to be the general plan for these things. $2 billion would be a low estimate IMO and it doesn't really solve a 'problem.' This would be a massive sum to spend for a 'nice to have' and not a 'need to have.'

Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
I like this board, but everyone comes up with these grand schemes of 200 mile MARTA rail networks, inefficient high speed rail to low need destinations like Macon, and massive projects like this, but no one ever suggests how to pay for these things. Get money from Washington seems to be the general plan for these things. $2 billion would be a low estimate IMO and it doesn't really solve a 'problem.' This would be a massive sum to spend for a 'nice to have' and not a 'need to have.'
But...but...but....it would create a vibrant, walkable community where everyone could live, work, dance and sing without the need for a car! Everyone who lives in the suburbs could move to this new oasis and forego their dreaded commutes and experience everything this city has to offer! It'd be like heaven on earth!!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
But...but...but....it would create a vibrant, walkable community where everyone could live, work, dance and sing without the need for a car! Everyone who lives in the suburbs could move to this new oasis and forego their dreaded commutes and experience everything this city has to offer! It'd be like heaven on earth!!
Nobody who lives in the city wants you to move here, Bob.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Nobody who lives in the city wants you to move here, Bob.
Good.....

Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,612 times
For those coming into this debate of late, make sure to check out the pics and slides in this short PDF on proposals for Connector beautification:

http://www.midtownalliance.org/Docum...0Slideshow.pdf

Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
This project is about a long-term investment. Americans have become short sighted and no longer look 20 or more years down the road. This project will improve the city for decades to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta