Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 14,044 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're considering buying a home we found in the Semmes Park area of East Point. We are a family with two young children. What are your thoughts on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:39 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,937 times
The area is actually pretty decent. I have a friend that used to live not far from there in Colonial Hills. Low crime and I could walk his dog all throughout the neighborhood with no problems. The historical area in East Point (near Main street & Fort McPherson) is pretty safe.

The only issue is with the school system. You may want to look into private or charter schools.

I'm not sure of your race, but if you're African American, you'll have no problems in the area.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:41 PM

We are white, however from the times that we have taken a drive through the neighborhood it looked like a good mix to me...

Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,418 times
We love the Semmes Park neighborhood. Our kids are all in college now, so the schools don't apply to our situation. We are white (I am of Mexican descent) and we walk all around our neighborhood and feel very safe. We have neighborhood meetings once a month just to know what's going on in the area. Our oldest daughter and her husband are considering moving to Semmes Park because the love the old-style neighborhood feel and the walking distance to Main Street.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
Nice little town, inside the perimeter, safe, marta stop, 7 minutes from airport, 10 mins from downtown.... and this: 1000 sq. foot houses for sale in move-in condition for roughly 30-50k. Whats the catch? (other than the best buyers market for houses in decades)?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Nice little town, inside the perimeter, safe, marta stop, 7 minutes from airport, 10 mins from downtown.... and this: 1000 sq. foot houses for sale in move-in condition for roughly 30-50k. Whats the catch? (other than the best buyers market for houses in decades)?
The "catch" is the perception that it is dangerous to live there. In reality, it is no more dangerous than your average intown neighborhood on the Eastside. In fact, I would say it's a lot safer.

Anyway, for the OP. I grew up in the neighborhood next to Semmes Park and the area is great. Some people want to give the schools a bad rep but I spent K-12 in East Point, attended a good college, and now have a successful career. If you provide the appropriate level of care in to teaching your children how to behave and learn at home they will be fine.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The "catch" is the perception that it is dangerous to live there. In reality, it is no more dangerous than your average intown neighborhood on the Eastside. In fact, I would say it's a lot safer.

Anyway, for the OP. I grew up in the neighborhood next to Semmes Park and the area is great. Some people want to give the schools a bad rep but I spent K-12 in East Point, attended a good college, and now have a successful career. If you provide the appropriate level of care in to teaching your children how to behave and learn at home they will be fine.
Good to know, thanks. I love the geographical ITP location, marta access, Main Street, and size/ pricing of the houses. I've added EP to my list of potential areas for home purchase. Just need to get down there and check it out.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Thanks for everyone's responses! We're closing soon on the home and we are so excited to be moving to the area!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: