Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 PM

454 posts, read 824,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchahboune View Post
I'm married with 2 daughters, aged 4 and 8...we're looking at different areas of Atlanta for a possible move this winter. We want to rent for the first couple of years-our budget is around $1500/month. Eventually, we'll want to purchase a 4 bdr home with a basement on a lot no smaller than 1/3 acre for around $250,000. Our priorities are good schools, a real community feel, good cycling, and not overly conservative. We're fairly liberal and while I can get along with most people, I would at least like to have some like-minded neighbors. My husband works from home and travels about 1/4 of the week (via ATL). I haven't visited Newnan, but I HAVE been to P'tree Corners and Suwanee. Suwanee has the community participation that I like plus I love their organic community garden, good schools and proximity to the mountains. The downside is the "newness" of everything and the small home lots. P'tree Corners is pretty although my sister complains about how lots of women seem to have this Stepford Wife thing going on. The lots are nice and big (though pricey). Does the community have an "identity" though? I decided to look at Newnan because it's the least expensive and closest to the airport. What is the reputation of Newnan? Is the population educated? Honestly, if I had the money, I'd live in Morningside or Druid Hills. Since I don't, however, I'm trying to find the next best thing. Please help!!!!
I would avoid all 3 and get a smaller house in a better area. You may be able to get into the outer parts of Dunwoody for the same price. You will be way happier if you do long term with your requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM

167 posts, read 478,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchahboune View Post
Our priorities are good schools, a real community feel, good cycling, and not overly conservative. We're fairly liberal and while I can get along with most people, I would at least like to have some like-minded neighbors.
We lived in Newnan for the same reason to be close to the airport for my husband. I'm very liberal and outgoing which was a stark contrast to most of my neighbors while we were living in Summergrove. Wasn't a big deal but like-minded neighbors are always a plus. People were friendly but a bit too in my face with their religion but I'm finding that same attitude here in South Carolina so I'm guessing it's just a southern thing that if you aren't Baptist you should be.

Honestly, to do it all over again, I'd have lived up North somewhere else but that's because the Autism services are mostly in the city. If it wasn't for that and we had to stay south I'd definitely go with Peachtree City for the schools.

Newnan is ok for general public education population ( no experience with private and let's face it there are worse schools around then Newnan's) but there is a difference between good schools and great schools for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta