Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,437 times

Advertisements

I'm married with 2 daughters, aged 4 and 8...we're looking at different areas of Atlanta for a possible move this winter. We want to rent for the first couple of years-our budget is around $1500/month. Eventually, we'll want to purchase a 4 bdr home with a basement on a lot no smaller than 1/3 acre for around $250,000. Our priorities are good schools, a real community feel, good cycling, and not overly conservative. We're fairly liberal and while I can get along with most people, I would at least like to have some like-minded neighbors. My husband works from home and travels about 1/4 of the week (via ATL). I haven't visited Newnan, but I HAVE been to P'tree Corners and Suwanee. Suwanee has the community participation that I like plus I love their organic community garden, good schools and proximity to the mountains. The downside is the "newness" of everything and the small home lots. P'tree Corners is pretty although my sister complains about how lots of women seem to have this Stepford Wife thing going on. The lots are nice and big (though pricey). Does the community have an "identity" though? I decided to look at Newnan because it's the least expensive and closest to the airport. What is the reputation of Newnan? Is the population educated? Honestly, if I had the money, I'd live in Morningside or Druid Hills. Since I don't, however, I'm trying to find the next best thing. Please help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
I think if you visit Newnan, you get a better idea yourself of what you like or don't. Newnan is a nice south-side suburb, but it is definitely more of a family sleepy bedroom-oriented than Peachtree Corners (Norcross), though the Norcoss area does have the bedroom community feel as well. I would try to narrow your choices down by ranking public schools if I were you and I cannot comment much on that for these areas to be honest.

Newnan is far out and pleasant, but not as compact and developed as P'tree corners or Suwanee. If you like to do stuff on the Northside, I would go with Suwanee or Norcross area.

All 3 areas have lots of newcomers, but not sure who would be the most closely-knit area, I cannot make that call as I have not lived in any of the areas, but I have known people and family who live in all areas.

Renting is definitely a good tactic to get a better idea. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM

64 posts, read 215,001 times
same here i think you should check out Newnan for yourself

Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchahboune View Post
I'm married with 2 daughters, aged 4 and 8...we're looking at different areas of Atlanta for a possible move this winter. We want to rent for the first couple of years-our budget is around $1500/month. Eventually, we'll want to purchase a 4 bdr home with a basement on a lot no smaller than 1/3 acre for around $250,000. Our priorities are good schools, a real community feel, good cycling, and not overly conservative. We're fairly liberal and while I can get along with most people, I would at least like to have some like-minded neighbors. My husband works from home and travels about 1/4 of the week (via ATL). I haven't visited Newnan, but I HAVE been to P'tree Corners and Suwanee. Suwanee has the community participation that I like plus I love their organic community garden, good schools and proximity to the mountains. The downside is the "newness" of everything and the small home lots. P'tree Corners is pretty although my sister complains about how lots of women seem to have this Stepford Wife thing going on. The lots are nice and big (though pricey). Does the community have an "identity" though? I decided to look at Newnan because it's the least expensive and closest to the airport. What is the reputation of Newnan? Is the population educated? Honestly, if I had the money, I'd live in Morningside or Druid Hills. Since I don't, however, I'm trying to find the next best thing. Please help!!!!
I would probably say that Peachtree Corners or Suwanee would be your best bets. They are well established areas with great schools and proximity to most of what North Atlanta has to offer. Also, I think on the north side you will find more transplants, so you may have a bit more liberal vibe than further south. One point worth noting, is that you may have to budge on one or more issues to be in Peachtree Corners. It's a highly desirable area and the prices reflect it.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:19 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
The northside communities (Suwannee and Peachtree Corners) will definitely have a more educated population. However, most people pay a small premium to live there to have closer access to northside businesses (Atlanta has grown mostly northwards (Downtown -> Midtown -> buckhead -> Perimeter - Cumberland to the northwest (followed by Kennesaw) and Pechtree Corners to the Northeast -> Alpharetta). I'd say roughly half of the high wage jobs and population in Atlanta are outside I-285 and north of the city.

Newnan would also be a good choice. Given your husband works from home and needs good access to the airport. The community will have more mixed education levels, but it will be cheaper and still has decent schools and access to shopping. That area is newer in the cycle of growth and has a bit more of a suburban/exurban feel, whereas peachtree corners was mostly built out in the 70s-mid 90s and has much more mature neighborhoods.

Atlanta's suburbs are going to be more conservative in nature, but there are a few us more liberal-minded people scattered here and there. I would think you would find more in Gwinnett Co (Peachtree Corners/Suwannee) vs Coweta Co (Newnan).

If being around a mostly college education population is important to you, then I would look towards Peachthree City. It is sort of the one place on the southside that is overwhelmingly higher incomes/higher education. The downside is it is a long drive to the city and a bit more expensive, but it is a really nice well planned family community to look into.

As for myself... I'm big on data and maps and luckily the Atlanta Regional Commission is good at collecting alot of data for planning purposes. There is several I like to show newcomers. It shows where the highly educated/higher income population has moved to in Atlanta. It shows the main driver for why businesses and people are locating where they do.

Also, when examining these maps... It would be a good idea to look at where Peachtreee City/Fayette Co., Newnan/Coweta Co., and Suwannee/Peachtree Corners/Gwinnett Co. are on these maps. (They are unlabeled except for county borders).

Educational Attainment (Map on last page):
http://atlantaregional.com/File%20Li..._Education.pdf

Home Values/Median Income:
http://atlantaregional.com/File%20Li...orkersLive.pdf

And where the jobs are (Areas the import more workers vs. export commuters) - Last Page:
http://atlantaregional.com/File%20Li...s_Sept2010.pdf

Consider all these maps at once and I think it offers a pretty good clue to how/why the metro area has grown. However, with that said you could probably have a higher quality of life... for less money in northeast Coweta Co and still be around many people with college degrees.... especially if you don't need to commute to Atlanta's northside.

Also, Welcome to the Atlanta Regional Commission has a great wealth of information, but alot of it is buried. It isn't set up for newcomers as much as for explaining how we are/can plan for our future.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,348 times
Are you going to have a weekend or so to come and visit before deciding? You might get with an agent to pull things that match your criteria in the different areas, and spend a day (or half day) exploring the housing and areas.

They all have different things to offer, and a lot if personal preference which is something you need to experience first-hand.

Welcome - whenever you do get here!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Peachtree Corners has much more of an upscale feel. It has lots of transplants. It's much more intertwined with the core Northern suburbs (Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell, etc.) than Suwanee is, and its culture reflects that. A lot more private school kids, more country club memberships, more CEOs, etc.

As for Newnan, I can't really say besides the fact that everyone I know from there has a thick accent. It doesn't really seem to be a suburb... more of an exurb. Still nice, but really nothing like Peachtree Corners.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Peachtree Corners has much more of an upscale feel. It has lots of transplants. It's much more intertwined with the core Northern suburbs (Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell, etc.) than Suwanee is, and its culture reflects that. A lot more private school kids, more country club memberships, more CEOs, etc.

As for Newnan, I can't really say besides the fact that everyone I know from there has a thick accent. It doesn't really seem to be a suburb... more of an exurb. Still nice, but really nothing like Peachtree Corners.
Well yea... sort of...
I agree there would be more CEOs trying to live really close to work (Peachtree Corners businesses in particular), but golf and private school memeberships...plentiful in suwannee. They are very well integrated with S. Forsyth, John's Creek, and Northpoint/Windward pkwy via McGinnis Ferry and Abbots Bridge. There are tons of new country clubs in the area... probably more so than in the older areas.

I think the main difference to take out of this is proximity to Peachtree Corners offices and the age of development.... not necessarily as mush as the status, wealth, and lifestyle.

I agree with your remarks on Newnan, but I just feel I should add... it has really started to grow in the past decade or so. There is alot of newer, nicer retail like Newnan Crossing and alot of new neighborhoods.

But, yes in comparison to Gwinnett is is much much more exurban.

I'd say Coweta ranges from suburban to exurban to rural in different parts of the county, where as Gwinnett ranges from urbanizing area to suburban to exurban areas.

Gwinnett is closer to town and closer to the job bases in N. Atlanta and much much more populated.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:33 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well yea... sort of...
I agree there would be more CEOs trying to live really close to work (Peachtree Corners businesses in particular), but golf and private school memeberships...plentiful in suwannee. They are very well integrated with S. Forsyth, John's Creek, and Northpoint/Windward pkwy via McGinnis Ferry and Abbots Bridge. There are tons of new country clubs in the area... probably more so than in the older areas.
Yes, Suwanee has several golf clubs within the 30024 zip code, both on the Gwinnett and Forsyth sides - Edinburgh, River Club (home of Justin Bieber, as my daughter likes to remind me), Olde Atlanta Club, Laurel Springs.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well yea... sort of...

I think the main difference to take out of this is proximity to Peachtree Corners offices and the age of development.... not necessarily as mush as the status, wealth, and lifestyle.

I agree with your remarks on Newnan, but I just feel I should add... it has really started to grow in the past decade or so. There is alot of newer, nicer retail like Newnan Crossing and alot of new neighborhoods.

But, yes in comparison to Gwinnett is is much much more exurban.

I'd say Coweta ranges from suburban to exurban to rural in different parts of the county, where as Gwinnett ranges from urbanizing area to suburban to exurban areas.

Gwinnett is closer to town and closer to the job bases in N. Atlanta and much much more populated.
Sorry, but Suwanee is simply not as prestigious as Peachtree Corners. It's much too far away to be considered "North Atlanta," culturally speaking. I would place Peachtree Corners in the same league as Dunwoody, East Cobb, and Sandy Springs. Suwanee is more on par with Duluth or Woodstock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta